1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on where to run a cable

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thegreatsam, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Oct 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    thegreatsam

thegreatsam [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    I'm about 75% of the way done with my stereo install (new HU, Sub, 5ch amp, speakers, and new speaker wiring to everything). The last part I need to do is run a mic for BT and a GPS antenna.

For reference, I have a 2006 TRD Double Cab

1) The BT mic I want to mount up near the rear view mirror, but not sure how I'm going run the cable. Can the entire dash trim be removed to make this easier? Can the cabin ceiling be removed easily (and more importantly, be reinstalled easily)? The passenger side has more room above the glove box to work, but I really like to avoid working in the vicinity of the airbag systems. Would it be easier to follow the overhead console wiring?

2) I would like to run the GPS antenna internally along the ceiling, all the way to the high stop light, and have it exit the cab there (drill a small hole in the plastic housing and fill it with sealer). Where does the wiring for the 3rd light run now? Does it run along the top of the cabin, or does it go up the back wall near the seatbelts? I had all the interior trim off last month, and didn't see any obvious conduit for it.

Thanks for the help!

2. Oct 8, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    The drivers side windshield pillar trim cover pops off easily. I ran my BT mic cable up that, then stuffed it under the front edge of the headliner over to the center overhead console. Then stuck it there with mounting tape.

As for the GPS antenna... I just left it under the dash up behind/above the head unit. They are plenty sensitive. No need to spend a lot of time routing it elsewhere.

3. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    thegreatsam

thegreatsam [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    With the antenna in your dash, do you have any problems getting a location when you're driving north?

4. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    No problems in any direction. I assume you are using a relatively recent GPS h/u. Most of the brand name units have come with high sensitivity GPS receivers (Star III or better) for years.

Products Discussed in

To Top