1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice: Paint has bubbled and then peeled

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 0zzY, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Jul 7, 2020 at 5:35 PM
    0zzY

0zzY [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Access Cab
    The paint on the inside edge of the access cab door began to show bubbles, then the paint flaked/chipped. Of course, now that it has started to peel it will only get worse if I don't do something. Unfortunately, I've spotted the same thing beginning to happen with the passenger side access cab door in the same spot. Anyone dealt with something similar or have any recommendations to get it repaired? If the best advice is to take it to a body shop, then I can live with that--as long as I can fit it into a budget.

If you've dealt with something similar, I'd love to hear how you fixed it or ballpark what it cost.

inCollage_20200707_201900224.jpg

lynyrd3 likes this.
  2. Jul 7, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Welcome to TW :hattip:

3. Jul 7, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Are you the original owner ? Could it possibly have been painted ?

4. Jul 7, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    0zzY

0zzY [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hi _ Yes, I'm the original owner and hasn't been painted or touched up. I bought it new April 2015 and first noticed the 1st bubble on the driver's side last year, but today spotted signs of it starting on the passenger side.

5. Jul 7, 2020 at 6:03 PM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    This isn't the first time I've seen this reported here.

6. Jul 7, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    0zzY

0zzY [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    j-utah likes this.
  7. Jul 8, 2020 at 2:01 AM
    muddog321

muddog321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB 4wd TRD w/e-locker Pyrite Mica
    TW 1-piece driveshaft with 1310 u-joints All Pro and Budbuilt skid plates OME Dakar rear springs 3" with 5100 5100 front set at 1.75" (3rd groove up) with stock springs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16 2018 TRD Offroad wheels 16x7J with +25mm offset Powerstop rotors with Z36 pads and rebuilt with OEM caliper kit Complete rebuilt rear brakes drums, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders Rebuilt rear and all wheel bearings front /rear Yukon 3.73 ring/pinion rebuild Denso 130A rebuilt alternator AGM 24F Battery New OEM idlers and tensioner assembly New AC compressor New PS hose and flushed Walker SS Quiet Flow muffler Denso Iridium long life plugs #3421 (SK20HR11) OEM coolant, cap, and thermostat NAPA CV axles and new seals ECGS bushing Rhino front guard Shortened mud flaps Alziria Black Tail Lights Nilight Headlights X-Bull Traction Boards Maaco full single stage paint job 2023 Nat CV to Knuckle seals 710573 New SKF wheel bearings/hubs BR930978 in 2024
    Yep common problem sand it off and use touchup paint covered by touchup clearcoat you are good to go. Under $20.

Blockhead likes this.
  8. Jul 8, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    Superloki24

Superloki24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Windsor, ON
    Vehicle:
    '14 X-Runner
    TRD SC, TRD CAI (Gen 1), Full URD Spec-U Exhaust, UCON EMS, , URD Lightweight Steel Flywheel, URD Stage 3, URD Trac Bar, OEM Oil Cooler, Detroit Tru-Trac, Truxedo Titanium Cover, 76mm Throttle Body, XII Performance drop, QA1 Rear Shocks, 4x4 Rear Leaf Springs.
    This is exactly what is happening to my Blue Ribbon Metallic paint as well. Same place too. I also have it on the fender lips where the hood meets them.

I emailed Toyota Canada and they said that there is nothing that they can do since it is out of warranty. So I will be interested in what comes of your inquiry and if you decide to fix it yourself.

E3g likes this.
  9. Jul 10, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    0zzY

0zzY [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I contacted Toyota too and after a long wait on hold, gave them my info and described the problem. There are no active service campaigns or recalls and the paint warranty is 3yrs/36000 miles. At least they heard my voice and can add me to their list of folks who have or will hopefully report this same issue.

E3g likes this.
  10. Jul 10, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    There’s other post with the same problem and they also had blue trucks.

11. May 10, 2023 at 7:13 PM
    Larmok

Larmok New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    I have the blue 2015 taco and i just noticed i have this problem on both sides... any updates on yours?

12. May 11, 2023 at 10:40 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Typical Toyota paint that doesn't stick to the undercoat,however lots of other brands have the same problem.

13. May 13, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    My super white did the same and worse. I wrapped the whole truck.

14. May 13, 2023 at 7:53 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    If you are OK with it not looking perfect but being functional, I'd start with a Scotchbrite scuff pad and get it back to the edges of the bubbles (remove all the paint that didn't stick), then wet sand with some 400-600 grit to smooth/feather the paint edges. Tape a square around it and make sure everything in the square is scuffed, then cover with some spray touch-up and clear coat. You might be able to buff the edges a bit to smooth out the paint line. This would likely stop the peeling and keep it from eventually rusting, and not be super noticeable.

15. May 13, 2023 at 7:57 AM
    chiffonade

chiffonade Well-Known Member

Member:
    common with superwhite as well. i didn't get the bubbling but had some chips come off in my door jambs. i just hit it with duplicolor touch up paint. my paint is too far gone from city and trail driving so i didn't bother with the wet sanding. so far so good. at least in my area body shops tend to not want to do work this small so they will hit you with a "fuckoff" quote.

16. Aug 19, 2023 at 11:21 AM
    tacomonkey

tacomonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Old thread but I have the same issue as OP on my driver's side now. The same exact location on the passenger side started bubbling and peeling back in 2020 before the pandemic. My truck was 5 years old at the time. I contacted Toyota and they said my local dealer would have to look at it. I brought it in when the pandemic calmed down a bit and the dealer said Toyota would cover the repair. This was May 2020. Fast forward last month, it started happening on my driver's side. I brought my truck in to the same dealership and they said there's nothing they can do. I explained Toyota covered the last repair. They said I can try to contact Toyota again. Like I said, last time Toyota said to go to the dealer. Since my truck is now 8 years old, I feel like there's a slim to none chance of getting this covered if I try to fight it. That said, I was curious what those who experience this have done.

Is it worth trying to push to get this covered or repair it myself? I already have some matching paint and clear coat for other chips and scratches I've had. Would brushing the peeled paint and getting a good edge, then 2 coats paint, dry, then clear coat be a good option? Would this prevent further peeling?

17. Aug 19, 2023 at 6:11 PM
    EL DUDE

EL DUDE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just save up for a paint job, Toyota doesn’t care.

Products Discussed in

To Top