1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aero Port!?!?! Help lol

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Minnetacoma, May 15, 2014.

1. May 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    Minnetacoma

Minnetacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sr5 with oe sunroof
    3.5 fabtech suspension lift with dirt logic shocks, Wheelers Alcon 8 pack rear leafs with extended brake line All pro rock sliders Cbi DIY front bumper with m8000 winch Cbi bushmaster 1.0 non swing arm 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains Skid row front skid plate Trs headlight retro fit fxr 2.5in projectors with rbg halos Audio/electrical upgrades K2 73ah lithium battery Big 4 upgrade 300a Ohio generator alt Alpine type r 6.5 coaxials in front Alpine type s 6.5 coaxials in back Alpine double din touchscreen Digital designs z3 15” subwoofer Digital designs m4 amp Alpine ktp 445u behind the dash amp for speakers 152db
    I have a duel 12 square sealed enclosure each sub has an air space of 0.93 cu.... Can I aero port this????? I've been told no then I found this port calculator on this site

http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html

And basically it's telling me I can tune my box with a 3" aero port that's about 12 inches long at 40hz.... Any box guru's on here than could verify and credit this calculation tool???!?!?

Please and thank you

2. May 16, 2014 at 5:47 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have no doubts on the correctness of that tool, but will it sound good is another question. In almost every single case, going from sealed to a properly ported enclosure requires a larger enclosure. So you can't just take a sealed enclosure, throw a port on it, and expect the same subwoofer to hit harder and lower. You're defying the laws of physics if you expect that to happen.

Typically subwoofer manufacturers will spec a recommend ported enclosure that includes box volume, port area, and length. If you don't have manufacturer numbers, then you need to use one of the many box design calculators available. WinISD, unibox, and BassBox Pro are some of the more reliable software tools.

3. May 16, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    I have to agree with ike3000 on this one. Find a box building program you like, and put the parameters in it. Making a port in my box, would have required a port of 25" long, there's just physically not enough space in there to jam 25" of 4" port in the box. So that's why I went sealed. I could have gone with one sub, but I had two, and wanted to use 2.

4. May 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    Minnetacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3.5 fabtech suspension lift with dirt logic shocks, Wheelers Alcon 8 pack rear leafs with extended brake line All pro rock sliders Cbi DIY front bumper with m8000 winch Cbi bushmaster 1.0 non swing arm 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains Skid row front skid plate Trs headlight retro fit fxr 2.5in projectors with rbg halos Audio/electrical upgrades K2 73ah lithium battery Big 4 upgrade 300a Ohio generator alt Alpine type r 6.5 coaxials in front Alpine type s 6.5 coaxials in back Alpine double din touchscreen Digital designs z3 15” subwoofer Digital designs m4 amp Alpine ktp 445u behind the dash amp for speakers 152db
    These subs are already in an enclosure that's too small for them sealed...

5. May 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    Minnetacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Mtx ts5512-22's

6. May 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    Minnetacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    What if I used really large ports and mounted externally? That would add cubes to my box then maybe stuff it with poly

Products Discussed in

To Top