1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aerospace 303 for tire appearance....yea or nea?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Pogue_Mahone, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Jul 30, 2020 at 10:37 AM
    Pogue_Mahone

Pogue_Mahone [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road 4X4 DCLB
    I know there are probably other threads on this, maybe looking for opinions of those who have actually used it fairly regularly with a vehicle that’s out in the sun all the time. My experience with Armor All back in the 1990s was that it accelerated the browning of my tires (I think they were Coopers). That was the last time I had a vehicle that was a toy and I don’t want to repeat that mistake. I live in South Cackalackey, and while this isn’t Arizona, the sun is pretty potent here.

2. Jul 30, 2020 at 11:13 AM
    Silverlogic

Silverlogic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver DCSB TRDOR
    Wheel it harder to scrape the browning off.

3. Jul 30, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    1Crusader

1Crusader Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
  4. Jul 30, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    TacoFergie

TacoFergie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    Browning is the "ozonates" bleeding out. There are some very good products to remove it and prep a tire for your tire dressing of choice. 303 is a great protectant but does not last long, especially when it comes in contact with water. Some good tire cleaners are ArmorAll Wheel & Tire cleaner (though I don't generally care for ArmorAll products) and Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel/Tire cleaners (D143) that you can buy in bulk. Good old BleecheWhit works ok if the previous tire dressing is already removed or heavily degraded.

As far as tire dressings and browning goes.... There isn't one be all end all product as tire manufactures use different tire construction and tire dressings react diffrently to those materials used. Though CarPro Perl is hard to beat. It's water based, dilutable (up to 5:1) for the shine you want, has UV protectants and is extremely versatile for all exterior and interior plastics/rubber/vinyl. It doesn't sling if allowed to soak in or if excess is wiped off. Another one I like is Superior Products Cover-All aerosol. It doesn't sling, gets in the deep voids nicely without any tools, lasts around a month through rain and such. Though it is a bit glossy initially, it goes to a nice satin finish after a few days.

5. Jul 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    Doobfucious

Doobfucious I get it. It ain't makin' me laugh but I get it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Doobie
    WNC -> Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR DCSB 6MT
    Stock AF. My 68 Bronco and 2000 2.5RS get the mods.
    How about 303 for door seals? Since wiping the jambs down after washing the truck last, the seals have started tacking to the body at times so I thought about 303 to sort that out.

Anyone?

6. Jul 30, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    TacoFergie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    For door seals something like Honda Shin-Etsu is great for keeping them moisturized and soft. I apply it with my fingers, let it soak for a while and wipe off any excess. A tube should last 5-6 applications on a tacoma assuming you do it once a year or so. Also another good one is Wurth Rubber Care is also a very good one too. But I think it is a little more difficult to apply due to the over spray. I have used the Shin-Etsu on my 01 Subaru Outback door seals and window seals (frameless windows) and noticed less wind noise and the seals were more pliable. I applied pretty liberally and allowed it to soak in for a while (maybe 2 hrs) before wiping excess while working on other items on the car.

EDIT: Make sure to clean the seals before doing this. I like to use a rag soaked with degreaser or a good all-purpose cleaner and gently scrub the seals. This is mainly for the initial application.

Honda Shin-Etsu
    https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuin...eywords=honda+lubricant&qid=1596145381&sr=8-2

Wurth Rubber Care

7. Jul 30, 2020 at 3:05 PM
    Sep1911

Sep1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco
    Petroleum based dressers do that, and they dry out the rubber. I would use some sort of water based tire shine

TacoFergie likes this.
  8. Jul 30, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    mattleg

mattleg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR DCSB AT 4WD
    I've tired 303 on tires, water seems to wash it off easier than other less costly options.

TacoFergie likes this.
  9. Jul 31, 2020 at 3:46 AM
    TacoFergie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    Also for anyone else looking for a good product for door seals... Gummi Pfleger is about the best you can get. But it is quite often out of stock and difficult to find in the US for some reason. Oddly enough I like many German made products (minus bosch, junk parts) except for their cars, for instance I'm am swapping an engine on a 2012 BMW 650i. Took almost a full day to drop the engine/trans assembly and almost 2 days to swap components over from one engine to the other, next week will be re-installing the engine/trans. They really crammed way too much crap into that engine assembly!

10. Jul 31, 2020 at 3:58 AM
    TacoFergie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    That is exactly my experience as well! 10-15 years ago I swore by 303, but have since found many products that have surpassed it. Another thing that bothers me about 303 when using it in the interior is that dust and hair tend to be attracted to it as well. Same with using it on my tonneau cover, noticed a lot of streaking from condensation or rain. So far CarPro Perl (4:1) has worked great and so has McKee's 37 product. McKees 37 is based out Florida and specializes in marine detailing products as well as automotive detailing products.

Products Discussed in

To Top