1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AFE or TRD air filter?.. quick!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KevLot17, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    Looking to purchase and AFE pro dry for my '10 TRD.. but i just found a TRD drop in for sale.. whats your opinions??

2. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    Any reasons??

3. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    this makes it better? or just less maintinece and thats why you choose it? havnt done much research dont really have the time haha

4. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Alright man. thanks i appreciate it. and the quick response!:cheers:

5. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    +1 for AFE, mine came in yesterday. no oil, easy maint, better flow supposedly.

6. Mar 5, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    TheRiddleOfSteel

TheRiddleOfSteel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phx
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD sport
    I have been looking at that drop in TRD filter but wasnt going to get it because its oiled, someone has to make a drop in dry replacement, right?

7. Mar 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Honestly if you offroad in a dusty environment, I recommend sticking with OEM. The additional flow of an aftermarket drop in doesn't really give you any measureable benefit beyond a different sound. Some talk of a few extra HP or seeing a boost in MPG, but others report a drop. In statistics there's what they call the standard deviation ... generally +/- a few percent from actual. The reported gains are so little, they fall into this range of standard deviation.

I honestly have yet to see any real research that shows aftermarket filters outperforming OEM in any way that provides any benefit other than saving money over the life of the truck (because it's reuseable). But I have read plenty of reports of MAF sensor failures and concerns about higher pass-through of particulates. Those things worry me more.

8. Mar 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This ^^^^^^

Products Discussed in

To Top