1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Afraid I may need to sell, whats a fair price?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Anthony, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Sep 16, 2008 at 7:20 PM
    Anthony

Anthony [OP] San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    Unfortunately I MAY be in a position where I need to unload my truck. Looking to see if some of you could give me an opinion as far as whats a good price to ask for it?

I bought it new back in May from Charles Maund in Austin, Tx.
    2008 TRD Double Cab Sport Swb
    5k miles
    White/Grey Interior
    Tow Pkg
    Front Husky Liners
    TG lock
    Access Soft Tonneau Cover
    tinted windows all the way around
    Full aftermarket stereo... alpine 9856 deck, boston components powered by an eclipse 65wx2, 2 boston 10"s pushed by alpine 400w amp ($1500)

whatre the odds of me being able to get as close to $26k as possible for it as is with the extras?
    Also... I picked up an extended warranty, I assume that is fully transferable the first time it changes ownership. 6yr 75k I believe.

2. Sep 16, 2008 at 7:54 PM
    OBXTucker

OBXTucker Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC SR5 4x4
    Sept Oct 2008 Blue Book Retail is about $28k, but unfortunately I don't think you'll get anywhere near that. You won't get anything for the aftermarket parts (pennies on the dollar), so you're better off parting those items out....

It's a tough and buyers market....

Good luck and I hope you don't "need" to sell it!

3. Sep 22, 2008 at 5:15 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    Cancel the extended warranty asap... you may get some money back.

Just for future reference......never, every by extra warranty on anything......its a very bad deal.

4. Sep 22, 2008 at 5:20 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Realistically, if you sell it Private Party around $24K, if you trade it in expect closer to $20K.

5. Sep 22, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    research your area on craigslist, edmunds TMV, autotrader to see what PP is paying. Dealer prices are different because they have the leverage of being able to take trades, finance, etc. The market in your area is the best gauge. IMO the chances of you getting 26k is overly optimistic. Unfortunately deals even without your add ons are made at that price on 09s. You may get lucky and hope you do for its a bummer to hear you want to sell your truck so early. I wish you luck.

As far as the warranty, if its past a certain date, you will be pro-rated & hit with an admin fee. If you financed with TFS, the money goes to them and take a month. The small print on the contract explains the how to do it and fees. Seeing how the 3/36 is still in affect, it may provide some reassurance to the new buyer instead of taking the hit, but if you get the money applied to your loan, you could lower the price somewhat.

6. Sep 22, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    S_A_Aceman

S_A_Aceman KS National Guard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    Air Cleaner mod
    I would almost totally agree with you about warranties, but I have already have $3700 in repairs covered by my 7/75 warranty. So its MORE than paid for itself. Basically, if you ever need work done on a vehicle and it COULD be covered by and extended warranty, then it will make it worth it. I would think that transfering that to a new buyer would increase overall value as well

7. Sep 22, 2008 at 7:09 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'd sell all your aftermarket parts first and then sell your truck stock.

8. Sep 22, 2008 at 7:18 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    +1... only way to get value back out of a vehicle is to keep it until the wheels fall off, as the saying goes. Of course I never do that... hopefully with the taco it'll change. Hopefully everything works out to your advantage and you can keep it...

9. Sep 22, 2008 at 7:36 AM
    rachunter

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    S A Aceman,

Before I got out of the car business in 2004 I had been in the industry for 18 years. I can promise you that extended warranties are never a good deal unless you can get them for free.
    I can also promise you that no one that works at the dealership ever buys extended warranties... that should tell you something.
    The last three new vehicles I have owned have never needed any work done to them that was not covered under the factory warranty, had I bought extended warranties on all of these vehicles I could have easily spent over $3,000 on warranties alone. Trust me, I do not know much but I do know the car business.....extended warranties are never a good deal.

10. Sep 22, 2008 at 7:38 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I doubt I'll need my extended warranty, but it is worth my peace of mind to have one just in case.

11. Sep 22, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    +1. TBH being a tacoma I doubt I'll ever need to use it. However, let's face it... I'm not exactly the most casual driver... I have 230+ hp and I USE it every single day. Every day. My dream list has a TRD supercharger on it... I also have no problem taking a truck that has less than 1k miles on it on some light trails... Extended warrenty is that great piece of mind that if something does go out... I can afford to get it repaired. Esp with 2 mortages and all the other bills, that's a great thing.

12. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    Anthony

Anthony [OP] San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    ext warranties arent for everyone... but in my situation, Toyota Finance matched the APR my credit union approved me for which was about 5.x or so, almost 6.0%. They offered the ext warranty to me along with dropping my rate to a flat 5% APR, which came out to about $3 more per month which I thought was well worth it and if it was never used so be it.

I appreciate the feedback, as of right now I owe $25900, I will have to see about cancelling the warranty but Im not sure how that will come since my APR was a par to fthat deal but I will call to find out.
    I dont have it listed (put it on CList once) but Im thinking of maybe giving it a good detail and parking it in the garage to keep the miles off and list it on autotrader to see what happens. we can use our other vehicle for the 70 mile round trip commute we do.

As far as selling, we recently had a baby and thought everything was done with our bills and such but due to some circumstances that are a whole nother story we are overwhelmped with fees and getting out of this loan seems like the best idea right now.

13. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:10 AM
    rachunter

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    I do not understand the piece of mind you get. You have already paid out of pocket no matter if you have a break down or not (you paid the cost of the warrany and interest on it).

14. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:18 AM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    So you were in the car business for 18 years and never bought a new car in that time? Or you were the exception to the "no one that works at the dealership ever buys extended warranties" statement? I dont understand?!? And your trying to tell me that I would ahve been better off trying to pay the $3700 bill out of pocket to get my truck back on the road that to have spent $1200 for the extended warranty that gave me no out of pocket expences? Someone is confused, and I doubt its me. For ANYONE that planes to USE a product more extensively than the average person, an extended warranty is nothing but good insurance. And the more extensive the use, the more more obviouse the benefits are. My truck is less than 2 years old, and has 40000 miles on it. I CANT LOOSE with my $1200 investment. Its already saved me triple! And I have an estimated 3 years of coverage left. Doing the math on averages... my $1200 investment will save me $9000 in 5 years. Any investor would jomp on that train in a second!

15. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:27 AM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo

It's the same peace of mind you get when having full coverage auto insurance. You pay them too and may never get anything back. ut when you need it you need it.

If I had a ExtWarranty on my POS Eclipse I would not have had to pay U$2000 for a new engine. On my F150 I did get the EW. The rental car charges alone for all the time that truck was in the shop broke me even for the warranty cost.

I'd hate to spend U$3000 on a new Taco tranny when I still have a year or two of payments left. Besides, most dealers drop the loan APR if you buy the ExtWarranty so the cost increase is minimal.

Fritz

16. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:27 AM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    You pay a lot more for insurance, and equally hope you will never need it. Health insurance is almost a requirement these days, and you hope you never need it, but its sure nice if you ever do. Whats the diffrence?

17. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I understand that, financially, it is probably not a wise thing to do. Psychologically, I'm not worried about my window motors, alternator, or compressor dying after 4 years.

Some folks have had their overhead compass fail and that is about a $700 repair. I bet those folks are glad they have their extended warranty.

18. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    rachunter

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    lsocoee,
    You would be surprised to find out how many aftermarket warranty companies will not cover something like the overhead compass. That is the next problem with extended warranties that I hope you never have to deal with... actually getting them to pay for repairs.

I do not mean to step on anyones toes and if you guys are more comfortable with a extended warranty by all means get one. I just like people to at least hear what the dealers will never tell you.

Oh and one more thing.... when the dealer offers to lower the rate to help you get a warranty (that is so nice of them......LOL) you could have got the lower rate even without the warranty. If your credit is good... Check with your personal bank and see what their best interest rate is for an auto loan then once you get to the dealership and you are sitting in finance just tell them the rate you have to have and if they can not match that rate just tell them you will take care of the financing.... if your credit score is good they will match what your bank will do.

Now if your credit sucks you are kind of at the mercy of the lenders and you should expect to pay a higher rate and just be glad they got you financed.
    It always use to crack me up when someone would come in with terrible credit and we would have to work hard to even get them financed only to have them demand a low apr rate, it just does not work that way.

OK OK I will shut up now....man I do not miss the car business one little bit.

19. Sep 22, 2008 at 9:22 AM
    rachunter

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road

You are right about someone being confused.........and it must be me.

Yes I was in the new car business and I never bought a new car during that time. Why would I ? I drove a demo that i did not have to pay for and I did not have to buy insurance for.

Your reply gets very confusing......Give me a little info ....

What year and make of vehicle are you talking about?
    What repair cost you $3,700

IF your truck is only 2 years old and only has 40,000 miles on it. Why did the factory warranty not cover the $3,700 in repairs???

You are right, I'm very confused.

20. Sep 22, 2008 at 9:44 AM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    '06 TRD Sport.. Factory warranty is 36000 miles. TSB Spring replacement, TSB Timing cover repair, replaced blower motor and new universal joints. With a rental car for 4 days while the work was done. I didnt know about the TSBs till I had a mudflap break loose on the highway and started looking around the internet.

Products Discussed in

To Top