1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After Market Leaf Springs?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 05SuperChrg, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    05SuperChrg

05SuperChrg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Air Filter,Rancho 9000's, Old Man,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve,Kenwood Sub, Sony HU,Wet Okole, debadged,satoshi,Slee Sliders
    Hello Taco World-

I got word today that Toyota will not apply the TSB to my 05 Taco with 18k miles and extended gold warranty...So this leaves (haaa) me with no other alternative than to purchase after market leaf springs.

Two questions:
    1) What to replace with? I tow a boat all summer and camp. I purchased the taco specifically to tow and use as a pick-up.
    2) I am decent DYI'r is this something that can be done at home?

Thank everyone

2. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    you can do it at home. As for the brand, Look at wheelersoffroad.com thye have a few kinds but most arent made for towing

3. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Are you going to lift the front? Most aftermarket leafs will lift atleast 1.5". Go with either a toytec add a leaf and just make your stock pack better or get a whole new pack from wheelers.

4. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    05SuperChrg

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Air Filter,Rancho 9000's, Old Man,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve,Kenwood Sub, Sony HU,Wet Okole, debadged,satoshi,Slee Sliders
    Thanks guys-

The truck has Rancho 9000 shocks on it, and has a coil spring lift on the front- so it kind of looks raked with the nose up currently.

5. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    I got no warranty, so i am with ya.... Im pretty set on OME Dakar leaf pack from Toytec. With a 7% TW discount (pm Neubs)
    they would be ~$360.00 I guess...(from $400) I also need load capability for DD so that is a a major factor. They look bomber tho. 10 leaf progressive flex, full military wrap, etc...I am going to call toytec and get the final lowdown soon hopefully. good luck!

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    dgalleon

dgalleon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 Dbl Cab LB
    TRD CAI, Flowmaster 40 series, 6" Fabtech Lift, Dirt Logic rear shocks
  7. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    i have a appt. to get the rear springs checked on mine next friday. the dealer thinks toyota will fix it even though my warranty is expired.

8. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    valleythunder

valleythunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dahlgren, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC/LB
    Go with the dakars... the TSB fix really isn't..:confused::confused:
    Ever heard the expression "polishing a turd"?:D:D
    Well that is what the tsb is..... my $.02....:)

9. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    All You need is a AAL kit. will lift the rear to match the front and also stiffen up the rear a little, which will help with towing and hauling. If you carry a large load then also look into a set of Timbrens.

10. Jul 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    05SuperChrg

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Hello there a quick update after several weeks with the OME Old Man springs. In essense they are awesome and perfect for what I needed. I towed my 4000lb boat, loaded up the bed with 3 coolers (big ones) and tons of camping gear for 4 adults and 3 nights. I also had 4 adults in the cab. The springs worked flawlessly no sag, and handled like I had nothing behind me.

Thanks everyone for the 411!!

11. Jul 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    squamish VFR

squamish VFR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Squamish B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 tacoma 4door shortbox
    Bilsteins set at 2.5" OME Dakar rear leaf packs, FJ manual TC conversion, basket winch front and rear, hidden hitch in the front behind licence plate. Spyder headlights, tailgate seals.
    I went with the OMe Dakar 7-leafs and Bilstiens, pretty happy with how it turned out though be smart about the rear shock length.

12. Jul 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I think I am going to order a set of Timbrens next. I have the TSB springs and a little extra support would be nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top