1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After the frame replacment...........

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Janster, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Oct 1, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's been about two days now...truck still feels GREAT!! I've developed a certain rumble at certain misc rpm's and a certain 'smell' that I never had before. Sounds like its in the exhaust..... so I crawled underneath and grabbed exhaust/piping, everything feels pretty damn tight. The smell reminds me of what metal smells like when it gets hot..... I'm sure things are getting hot / expanding /adjusting...since everything was disturbed.

Anyone experience anything like this after their frame replacement? I'm just wondering whether I should wait a little to see if things settle in more...

What have you experienced after your frame replacement?

2. Oct 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Some more investigation today... My husband and I started looking around at the intake. First thing we found, someone forgot to tighten the clamp on the hose at the airbox. That wasn't it...or should I say, it did kinda change the loudness. I ended up taking that whole plastic intake out (from body to airbox) and reattaching it. There's a foam gasket at the end where it meets the body, that's a bit smashed. I put my AFE air filter back in and put everything back together. Let's see if this helps... Initial idle in the driveway, I didn't hear it.

Something else I noticed.... The passenger airbag lights (on or off) weren't coming on at all. I've never touched the airbag switch (key insertion). I ended up turning the airbags off (key insertion), turning ignition to confirm the OFF light came on (and it did). Then....turning airbag switch back ON (automatic). Turn ignition ... OFF light actually came on. Then asked the husband to sit in passenger seat, and the ON Light came on. I'm not exactly sure why it wasn't working before...and/or why I had to turn it off and back on again. ?

3. Oct 4, 2015 at 4:58 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    I've had mine back for a week since the frame replacement. I've been dealing with a similar smell as well. I figured out what it was on Friday night, after I found oil stains in my driveway. Both front axle seals are now leaking since I got it back. The whole left side of my new shiny frame rail is covered in gear oil. Calling the dealership tomorrow. Hopefully the seals aren't on my dime. They weren't leaking when I brought the truck in. I'm not sure if they would have pulled the front axles when they replaced the frame or not?

On the positives...
    - Rides and steers like a new truck. Very happy!!! My paid for 10 year old truck looks like new again!

Hairy Taco likes this.
  4. Oct 5, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    Update: My dealer is replacing the front axle seals free of charge. I have a new Corolla S in the driveway as a loaner. Pretty impressed. Seals are a wear item in my opinion, I'm surprised they stepped up and replaced them!

Hairy Taco and Simon's Mom like this.
  5. Oct 5, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    gman556

gman556 American by birth, patriot by choice

Member:
    First Name:
    gman
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 toyota tacoma trd sport DCSB
    Got a new frame about 4 months ago. I haven't had any issues so far. No smells, everything seems to be okay for now. It's like a new old car lol

Hope everything works out for you guys

6. Oct 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    Other than my front coils getting reversed, mine went pretty smooth.

7. Oct 6, 2015 at 6:19 AM
    bill123

bill123 Member

Member:
    Mine has been trouble free. I don't drive it much. I did discover that I cannot open the locked passenger door with the key. Can't blame them for that, I guess.

8. Oct 6, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    When i got mine back they spilled oil (and maybe power steering fluid) all over my engine. when i got home i looked under the truck and kinda freaked out cuz i didnt know if it was spilled or there was a leak somewhere...

they also took a chunk out of my rubber rear window seal (putting the box back on, hitting the window) and some other scratches on the rear bumper.

the tech's hands were all oily and he jumped right in my truck so my wheel was greasy and door handle was literally brown instead of grey.

Ummmm i think that's it. Not the best experience but it coulda been way worse so im OK with it all. Truck seems to ride the exact same as before, which was always really good.

9. Oct 6, 2015 at 6:31 AM
    gman556

gman556 American by birth, patriot by choice

Member:
    First Name:
    gman
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 toyota tacoma trd sport DCSB
    Dam that's bogus! I guess it depends on the dealer and it's employees. There's alot of mixed reviews on this

10. Oct 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Meh my problems so far:
    Shifter not in right position: Would not go from D to N (which you need if you want to shift to 4L)
    4wd computer got all messed up. (fixed by removing and reinstalling fuse)
    Missing a lot of plastic clips all around the truck. I have to order a bag before winter.
    Now my front feels like driving on the butter. I have to check wheel bearings.

11. Oct 24, 2015 at 4:12 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Update.... As for the intake tube - I ended up taking copper insulation foam and putting a couple pieces inbetween the fender & intake tube. That seemed to have quieted down the rumble sounds. ??

New thing.... on Thursday I was driving home and on two occasions I heard this loud clunk-clunk sound. At the time, I just thought I was 'hearing things' - window open, beautiful day, breezy...You know the deal. When I got home, I did a walk around and peek underneath ...didn't see anything obvious.

Next day..... driving out of my driveway and onto the street, it happens again. It was loud enough that my neighbor who was walking her dog, heard it. Stopped immediately...got the husband out... he drove it down the street. Nothing...until he drove into the driveway (up over the curb). Clunk clunk... WTF?? Took it to the dealer immediately.

Get to the dealeership...Master Tech takes it for a drive with me in passenger seat. Of course...the damn noise didn't occur while he was driving it. They kept the truck anyway and said they'd check to see if everything was tight (suspension, steering, etc). I got it back after work...and of course, they claimed they didn't find anything. The noise didn't happen on my way home last night either. Go figure...

The sound is almost like...something is loose and shifting pending driving conditions and momentum/etc. The fact its loud enough to hear outside the vehicle, is pretty alarming (to me anyway). I'm hoping they actually did find something but won't openly admit (to customer) they forgot to tighten something. And...I won't ever hear it again.
    I just don't know.... only time will tell.

12. Oct 24, 2015 at 4:27 AM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R
    my 02 got a new frame. dealer did a great job. i was shocked at what was replaced,frt. susp. rear susp.,brake lines, brackets. drove like new,it had 180000.00 mi. sold it, body was starting to show rust. my dealer,metro toyota in kazoo was great!

Products Discussed in

To Top