1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket fuel tanks

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 85GT 79FJ40, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Aug 16, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Ok so I've been chasing evap codes for WAY too long on my 03 regular cab and just throwing parts at it. Both valves under the hood, charcoal canister, filler neck, fuel tank overfill valve... All replaced. So I finally smoke test it and sure enough it's blowing smoke around the overfill valve on the top rear of the tank. When I changed it I noticed the round hole where it mounts was quite rusty and no longer really round. So I ordered an aftermarket spectra premium tank from Amazon and while I'm at it why not toss a new denso fuel pump in there. Get the old tank out no problem, install the fuel pump on the old sender/foot assembly, and go to install it. Won't fit. After scratching my head a bit I got out a tape measure and sure enough it's 1.5" shallower where the pump mounts. WTF! Thankfully not my only vehicle as it's sitting with no tank in it now. Looked at a used one this morning rusted in the same spot. Anyone have luck with aftermarket tanks? Is there another brand out there? I'm not putting a new OE tank in a truck with 228k miles. And used ones in new england are all going to suck. And shipping is ridiculous of course.

2. Aug 17, 2017 at 12:06 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    What about modifying the fuel pump bracket to allow for the shorter tank .

Did Spectra offer a fuel pump bracket for the tank you bought ??

Fine print saying this tank might not work with your fuel pump bracket !!!

Did you even get the correct tank??

I have seen many problems with these Spectra tanks .

Can your repair your old tank ?

It is your call but I would have no problem putting a new tank from Toyota in my 2000 Tacoma with only a few thousand miles less then yours

In fact a few years back I bought a new tank for my 86 4x4

3. Aug 17, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    can you bang out the bottom of the tank to make the stock pump unit fit? It blows to have to do that but you know...

4. Aug 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM
    Actionjackson

Actionjackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    that situation sucks but thanks for the warning about Spectra tanks. Just about the only benefit I have seen that my wifes Dodge durango has over my TACO is that it has a plastic gas tank that won't rust. Does any one know if there is a plastic tank available for first gens?

5. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    I am sure if you shop around you can find something that will work

6. Aug 17, 2017 at 10:57 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    doesnt Spectra sell a sending unit / pump assembly to fit their tanks?

7. Aug 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Yes they do sell different sending units. I actually ordered the spectra tank for an extended cab and I should have it tomorrow. After running my VIN through Toyota I have an 18.5 gallon tank and the tank Spectra said was correct for my truck was a 16. I did call them and the rep was pretty flustered saying that tacomas were all screwed up and the listings were never right.... Then when I was pulling up my VIN he hung up on me. Called back immediately-out to lunch. Nice. So I proceeded to decode a bunch of different VIN's I found on ebay and I couldn't find anything but 2WD trucks with 16 gallon tanks. Apparently there are 7 different tanks for later first gens and some of them swap between 2WD and 4WD according to Toyota. And not just prerunners. And Spectra only lists 2. So fingers crossed this 18 gallon fits! I have 2 weeks left before it's technically illegal to drive due to failing emissions inspection. Of course with no tank I'm not driving it all. Not a big deal considering I also have a GTI and a motorcycle. But still sucks having it in limbo. If this doesn't work I'll have to get a used one which will probably include some hefty shipping.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top