1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket headers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomakid, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Jul 11, 2008 at 2:17 PM
    tacomakid

tacomakid [OP] Active Member

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma pre-runner
    3" revtek lift (6" lift coming soon), Rancho RS5000 shocks, magnaflow catback, K&N intake.
    ok so i want to get some performance headers, but i dont know which heders to get. i also have a few questions about the headers.

#1. JBA and doug thorley headers; are they able to pass smog?

#2. are the resonators on the stock headers removed? i know theres one resonator on the driver side header before the cat, and two on the other header.

2. Jul 11, 2008 at 2:22 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I have no experience with headers, but I have heard nothing but bad about JBA.

3. Jul 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    if u have a good welder then jba are great esp with emission testing. i really did feel a difference when i got my jba and did them right. if u take ur time and port them out the outcome is great. but of course ull get the most power with the long tubes. but i just wanna throw it out there cuz lots of people hate on jbas and its cuz they did a shitty installation job.

4. Jul 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well it depends on what ur running. if I4 or V6. Doug thorleys are great either way. pretty much just bolt on. they are mainly for low end power though. aroud 3000 or 3500 rpm thats when you really feel it. oh yes DTs are 50 state smog legal.

5. Jul 11, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    branct06

branct06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    im lokin at the DT headers and i cant wait to get them, now all i need is the money, life of a college student = broke

6. Jul 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    what do headers do

7. Jul 12, 2008 at 12:15 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Marioso, headers make the exhaust flow easier, an engine is basically a air pump, unrestricted air flow in and out makes it more efficient. Due to costs auto manufacturers do not always give you optimum setups.
    This is why "cold air intake " and header and free flowing exhaust pipes and mufflers are offered by the aftermarket dealers.
    Its an old hot rod trick.
    You should always stick with the top names , which include Doug Thorley, Garret Air Research, TRD and many other tip notch names.

8. Aug 3, 2008 at 7:21 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    hes right:D

9. Aug 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    ok gotta admit. im not toooo header smart myself.... i no some are weld on but are there any that bolt on to either factory or aftermarket exhaust.

10. Aug 4, 2008 at 12:53 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    CornDog, love the color of your truck, I tried to get my truck in that color but none were available unless I wanted to pay quite a bit more, as some trucks in Speedway Blue only are available( in New England) with the hood scoop and expensive options.

The exhaust manifolds that are attached to your engine are the actual "header" you see them on lots of hot rods and they often call them "tubular headers" the factory headers are generally cast iron due to cost limitations.
    There is quite a science behind getting the headers to flow correctly and often when some one puts a new set of headers on they are often called "free flow header" meaning they have less restriction and usually a pair of larger diameter exhaust pipes are used and free flow mufflers , all of these combined with a better intake system means higher horsepower and usually as a consequence a much nicer sounding exhaust system.
    Expensive exhaust pipes can be very expensive , for instance the "headers " on a Formula One Race car are hand made and take hundreds of hours to make and the cost is in the tens of thousands of dollars and they are made out of very exotic materials.
    I hope this helps ,
    Jeff 06 , V6, 6spd, 4x4 Radiant Red bone stock

11. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    thanks jeff i appreciate the help and the comment too. i love the color too but the only prob is i couldnt get the long bed with a maual trans. so i had to settle for a short bed. thats the only draw back i had. thanks for the info......

12. Jan 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    TacomaKid, I believe that all of the good exhaust companies, can make and adapt headers to pass emissions for various vehicles.
    If you find a dealer, go visit them when they are not busy and sit down with the tech people and bring all the spec's with you...... considering all of the different requirements for each state as far as emissions I am sure they are adaptable.
    Jeff , 06, V6, SR5 6spd, 4x4 Radiant Red, Bone Stock

13. Jan 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    carolinyens

carolinyens Creedmoor Connections

Member:
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    TRD CAI, TRD SS, Toyota All Weather Mats, Eagle Eye Halos, NST Crankshaft Pulley, ScanGauge II, TRD Shiftball, TRD SeatCovers, WeatherTech Vent Visors, 20% tint, DTLT's and NST pulley combo.
    If your worried about the smog test and dont wanna change the aftermarkets for the stockers then I'd go with the shortys. JBA or DT will work but your gonna have to cut the cats off of the stockers and weld them on to the aftermarkets. Just make sure you go to a reputable exhaust shop.

Products Discussed in

To Top