1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket wheels vibration

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Rico21, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Oct 8, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    Rico21

Rico21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Sport

I’m looking for a recommendation. I purchased a set of after market wheels last year. “ Gear Alloy MB12” 20inch. After wheels were installed I noticed some vibration around 55 – 75mph. I was told to install a set of hub centric rings.. 106 – 108mm, did that! Didn’t fix problem.. I was recently told tires were bad, just replaced with Kuhmo tires and which were balanced on a Hunter Roadforce 9700 balancer. Vibration was reduced but still there, any suggestions.. :confused:

2. Oct 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    thisERICtaco

thisERICtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    CA, oc
    Vehicle:
    06 AccessCab SR5
    i heard that usually if you dont have anything in your bed that your ride will be a bit bumpy cause it jumps in the rear a bit
    but im not really sure

3. Oct 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
  4. Oct 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    sounds like you need to Install different hub-centric rings

5. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    Rico21

Rico21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Thanks for all the feedback, I'll start by replacing the lugnuts the "Extended Thread version" DR RabbitfurHead recommended

6. Oct 18, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    Rico21

Rico21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Hi Everyone,
    I finally got the vibration issue resolved and here’s how… I replaced the lugs with the extended thread version as recommended by DR RabbitfurHead. I also had to replace the front rotors, the originals were slightly warped. The truck rides like new...
    Now I can finally enjoy driving my truck again….

Thanks for all your help!!
    [​IMG]

7. Oct 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    SSrUs

SSrUs Member

Member:
    Damascus, Oregon USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 SR5 Access Cab 2.7L M5
    3" Lift, Nasta Step Bars
    I'm glad you seem to have your problem fixed. But, I'm confused about something here.....one thing I've learned recently about our wheels is that Tacoma wheels are "non hubcentric". They use acorn style lugnuts to center the wheel on the hub, not the center bore fitting tight on the hub itself. Chevy trucks are hubcentric which is different and does center the wheel directly on the hub. So I'm wondering if you should have hubcentric rings? :confused:

8. Oct 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Glad to hear you have everything figured out and your truck is running well.

Just for the record, Tacoma wheels from the factory are hub centric. Any aftermarket wheel made specifically for the Tacoma are also hub centric. Toyota uses a 106mm OD hub from the factory (not sure of the tolerances).

Almost all aftermarket wheels are lug centric. They are not made solely for the Tacoma, rather they are made to fit many different makes and models of trucks. Many of the aftermarket wheels that fit our trucks have a 108mm ID bore (that fits very loosely over our factory hub). The lug centric wheels need lug nuts to center the wheel to the lug posts on the hub. This is the next best thing to a hub centric wheel.

Some companies make a plastic donut that adapts the smaller hub OD to the larger hub bore ID of the wheel. The problem with our trucks is that a 1mm thick plastic wall (radial) is just too small to do the job (it would break) so we need the acorn style lug nuts.

I also recommend using a Hunter, road force balancing machine to balance the tires to make 100% sure you don't have vibration problems. Using the right lug nuts and the right balancing job pretty much guarantees you won't have any problems (unless the wheels or tires are just hosed from the manufacturer).

9. Oct 18, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    SSrUs

SSrUs Member

Member:
    Damascus, Oregon USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 SR5 Access Cab 2.7L M5
    3" Lift, Nasta Step Bars
    Hey Dr Rabbit, thanks for setting the record straight on that. :thumbsup:

10. Oct 18, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    Rico21

Rico21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Sport
    You are correct… In addition to the lugs and rotor replacement I originally had a set of hub centric rings.. 106 – 108mm installed… (plastic) and they do break very easily… The wheel and tires were originally balanced with a Hunter Roadforce 9700 series Balancer…

11. Dec 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    jayandcourt

jayandcourt Active Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD Offroad
    Weather tech mats, removed mud flaps, ARE camper shell Billy 5100 set at 1.75 Toytec AAL 2" Grillcraft grill and TRD symbol Hella lights behind grill Yakima Rack Procomp 7089 Grom Iphone interface Avid bolt on sliders
    I've tried all those things, except for the rings. I've had them road force balanced andit worked frine for a week now it shakes again. very frustrating. Any other ideas? Also it is very inconsistant. Sometimes shake sometimes smooth. can't figure it out. I have the extended threaded lugs ffrom Wheelers Offroad. So it's not the lugs

Products Discussed in

To Top