1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Bag Light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rberumen2, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    I thought there is a recall for the clockspring. I got a letter last year to wait for parts before taking the truck in. It can cause a problem with the airbag and might show the red warning light I haven't done it yet...

2. Feb 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    bigcreekcowboy

bigcreekcowboy New Member

Member:
    2009 base model accsess cab

3. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    SeNate

SeNate Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD 4x4 6spd
    Satoshi Grill (HomerTaco), Ambiguous' headlights, refinished my frame with POR-15 after half a week of prep and rust removal
    My brother had a 2005 (2WD) Tacoma that qualified for the recall. Yet my 2005 had the exact same light, and according to a VIN# list, I am not part of the recall. I have to get my truck safety/emissions before registering it. Hopefully they will not care, since it is not flashing.

4. Jun 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    loefflerm

loefflerm New Member

Member:
  5. Jun 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    Ninjayota

Ninjayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 regular cab base 4x4
    Mb 352 wheels, 265/75/16 duratracs
    When I bought mine the dealer told me that the airbag light had been on and it was the sensor for the passenger seat that was bad. He even left the old one in the glovebox. Might be something to check for some of you.

6. Sep 22, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    FuzzyRuttin

FuzzyRuttin If it ain't broke, fix it

Member:
    Syracuse NY
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 6-ON-THE-FLOOR
    I realize this is an old thread but it came up in my search and seemed like the appropriate place to post. I have an '05 subject to the "spiral cable assembly" recall, aka clockspring, which the dealer addressed (fixed?) back in 2012 - I just called to confirm. IIRC, the air bag light was not coming on at the time. Now some 9 years later, it is. After reading this, I am not sure what good replacing the clockspring back then would have done. Shouldn't any steering column vibration be fixed before replacing the clockspring? It doesn't make any sense, and the dealer pretty much closed the door on me for any logical explanation. If anyone has something more enlightening, please post.

Taking specific note of the air bag light the other day, it was off after first starting the truck. Once I turned the wheel to pull out of my driveway, the light came on. I don't stare at the light while driving, but even after the light comes on, I swear it turns back off from time to time, and shortly comes back on again. The couple/few times I bumped the horn while the light was on, the horn works just fine. Thinking, there must an electrical short occurring at a specific angle of the steering wheel, which causes the air bag light to turn on for some extended period of time, until the computer thinks everything is ok again? So chances are, the air bag will deploy in the event of an accident?? Regardless, I have another trip coming up and would like to get this taken care of.

In the meantime, these things look really easy to replace. I just ordered an aftermarket clockspring for about $45 after tax. OEMs are more like $200-300. If my OEM clockspring bit the dust, why replace with another expensive OEM. The repair garage that I normally use quoted me about $400 with labor. (Never mind, I got this!)

7. Sep 22, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    Beerline123

Beerline123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma access 4x4
    Let me know how your clockspring worked out I think mine's broke from doing power steering flush. Tia

8. Sep 22, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    FuzzyRuttin

Member:
    Syracuse NY
    Vehicle:
    Not sure how power steering flush would have any effect on the clockspring. It's located directly behind the airbag. Couple of short pigtails to plug in right there, and that's it.

9. Sep 23, 2021 at 4:34 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Uh, No.

You may have a broken spiral cable, but it wasn't due to a power steering flush.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    06Tacooo likes this.
  10. Sep 23, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

any recent work........accessories added or modifications

any recent repairs

11. Sep 23, 2021 at 2:02 PM
    Beerline123

Beerline123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma access 4x4
    The method I used to flush power steering was Jack front disconnected return line and went lock to lock with steering wheel and about 2 days later air bag light came on. Haven't pulled codes so clockspring is just a guess

12. Sep 24, 2021 at 3:19 AM
    FuzzyRuttin

Member:
    Syracuse NY
    Vehicle:
    Ah ok... if that's the case, the clockspring was probably on its way out anyway, and turning the wheel stop-to-stop just exacerbated it.

Got email notice that my new clockspring was shipped yesterday from USPS in Arizona. It's gotta travel all the way across the country so it'll be a few days. Oh well - all the ebay vendors were based in China, and although half the price (~$20), no thanks. I've gone that route before and you get what you pay for.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    06Tacooo likes this.
  13. Sep 26, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    FuzzyRuttin

Member:
    Syracuse NY
    Vehicle:
    Clockspring was sitting on porch when I got home yesterday. Installed just now. Even with taking my time, it's only about a 30 minute or so job. Drove around the block after the install, and no more light. Saved $400.

14. Dec 18, 2022 at 9:31 PM
    Connorvan

Connorvan Fasha

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR DCSB
    315 75 16 Toyo MTs DIY Bed Rack Smittybuilt RTT Dirt King SUA Kit Custom Long Travel hangers and shackles Shackle flip King 16" Triple BP Shocks King 2.0 x 2.0 bumps Dirt King Frame box kit. Rebuilt rear cross member with 1.75" DOM Deaver H70HD leafs Polk Audio speakers F/R Handmade ported sub box for 10" sub Rockford Fosegate 1000W RMS amp TJM Front Bumper, custom DOM bull bar. Fabd Steel high clearance bumper Amber fogs Smitty Built 9500lb XRC winch King 2.5 with #700 coils Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers Icon Delta Joint UCA Thor cowl intake Fuck mud flaps and wheel liners. Switch pro mount and blue ray systems buss bar Dual audio double DIN head unit JD fab battery tray Alpharex Head/Tail lights Prinsu Roof racks Cab and Camper Don’t tread on me sticker for extra HP
    How’s the clock spring holding up? My light has been on for a few months and I’m finally getting around to addressing it. Curious if your light ever came back on or if the issue was resolved with the aftermarket replacement.

Products Discussed in

To Top