1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Bag Sensor light FAIL.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 619Tacoma, Dec 11, 2009.

1. May 15, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Both oh my airbags have the light on... Ive been riding around for about 3-4 months without working airbags.

2. Aug 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    repus1

repus1 Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    06TacoDouble4x4
    3inlift
    They damaged my Taco when it was in for service. Then offered to repair it. When I got it back, they damaged more things. The first damage was a service tech hit the back of my Taco with another customers vehicle. The second damaged area was they scratched up all the plastic trim on the rear bumper and they also forgot to paint an exposed metal body area behind the corner of the rear bumper and had to re-paint the area again. All in all, I had to do without my truck for a week at a time for total of 2.5 weeks. They suck!! Beware.

3. Aug 4, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    You don't need a new pan. There are self-tapping oversized drain plugs for exactly that problem.

With reference to the spiral cable--are they really made by Lucas (as the image someone posted shows) or was that a generic clockspring/spiral cable image?

If they're made by Lucas, that's the problem.

4. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    MYSUV

MYSUV Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    05 Bone Stock
  5. Aug 5, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    repus1

repus1 Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    06TacoDouble4x4
    3inlift
    Diagnostic test - $103
    Result... spiral cable or clockspring as some call it.
    Part - $327
    Labor - $145
    TOTAL - $575!!!

It seems that this problem is fairly common. Toyota should be covering this on their tab if you ask me!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

6. Aug 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    jwhelan

jwhelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JW
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Silver
    TRD PreRunner, 5100's on all four fronts @ 1.75, AAL, SP performance rotors, hawk pads, 17" FJ Cruiser wheels P/C black, 265/65/17 BFGR Rugged Trails, BHLM , painted grill, blacked out emblems
    This is BS, sounds like a defect to me that just exceeds the warranty term..:mad: Mine came on this week.

7. Apr 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    JohnnyMusso

JohnnyMusso New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I'm really frustrated with Toyota about this. My Tacoma has 57K miles and the restraint system is warranted for 60K so it SHOULD be covered since the "restraint system" is disfunctional when the light is on! NO... instead, it's going to cost $464 for me to replace that steering wheel cable.

What about the compass / clock? Well, that'll cost $267.00 at the dealer to replace. So, guess what? We won't be replacing that.

The only thing Toyota has done for me is replace (or saw off) the gas pedal under a recall order. Sorry folks that love Tacomas but... for the next vehicle, I'll be looking at an American made truck or a Honda.

8. Apr 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    try another dealer ^^^

had my airbag codes pulled today and my airbag ecu and both seatbelts are throwing faults :wtf:

but ive got replacements on the way so it iwll be peace of mind knowing itll be taken care of

9. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    JohnnyMusso

JohnnyMusso New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Yeah, I would like to but they have the area tied up down here (Hoover, AL). I have to drive another 20-40 minutes each way from where I work and live to get with another dealer (Birmingham, 280).

10. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    danamann1

danamann1 New Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    This whole post makes me mad. I am a military wife and husband is deployed. I can by long shot take care of myself but thought the airbag was something I should let a professional look into. When they called today from the dealer to tell me by light was a 500 plus fix for the airbag sensor I was sick. We have never had a front end collision so the codes the mechanic said it showed and there were three, should have never shown up. Those of you that are mechanic savy, can someone please tell me if this is really something I should be concerned with or am I off to try to find a junk yard in our area with a sensor, to some how learn to install. NO WAY am I paying 500 plus. This was on top of the kick in the teeth with BTW your front brakes need redone and thats 1000.00. I only took it to the dealer to get the recall work done. Talk about sticker shock! Advice anyone, please. We have an 05 Tacoma with 80k and no off road use. Light of course came on after the hubby left and for no real reason. Just showed up.

11. Feb 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Don't blame you for being mad! It is a problem that many of us had and is caused by a bad wire in the steering wheel... My 2005 Tacoma air bag lights came on shortly after it was out of warranty and it cost me close to $300 to have the dealer fix it (that was in 2008). In the overall picture, that was the only failure I had with my 2005 in 102,000 miles (if you don't count the weak rear spring issue)... still making the Tacoma a good value.

You can read others who have had the problem, the wire is known as a 'clock spring' or 'spiral cable'... Here is just one of many threads: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/171289-air-bag-warning.html

Products Discussed in

To Top