1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Conditioner Noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Turbonium, May 16, 2008.

1. May 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    Turbonium

Turbonium [OP] I wanna haul stuff

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 4x2 Access Cab w/SnugTop
    Mods? What's a mod? Bone stock, baby. Well, okay. Maybe a few smallish mods. If you count a locking gas cap, coin holder and a behind-the-seat trash bag.
    I've tried to search on "AC" and "A/C" and various permutations of "air conditioner" but haven't found anything on this, so here goes:

I have a 4-cylinder 2.7L 2008 with manual transmission. Lately it has been very hot here in California, and in the morning, just as I start moving out, I've turned on the AC by pressing the AC button. The second I do I hear a quick grinding noise from under the hood and a momentary deceleration, both of which go away within a second.

This is all done at low speed in first gear.

I'm guessing that it's the AC being engaged by the engine, but I wanted to check to see if it was normal. It seems not very elegantly engineered if you can feel the deceleration and the noise, but I'm okay with it if it's not a problem. What do you think?

2. May 16, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    My truck do that kind of noise when i turn on the ac..... its a v6 auto...it happens right when i start driving and turn the ac on....hope that helps

3. May 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Try this: Next time you drive your truck, when you know its going to make this noise, before starting the truck take some WD40 and spray some on the ac compressor clutch. You want to spray in the gap between the pully and the compressor drive ( there should be a little gap) try not to get any on the belt. Then fire it up and drive normally. This SHOULD quiet the clutch. Let me know if that helped. :)

Lester Lugnut likes this.
  4. May 16, 2008 at 11:22 PM
    Turbonium

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Mods? What's a mod? Bone stock, baby. Well, okay. Maybe a few smallish mods. If you count a locking gas cap, coin holder and a behind-the-seat trash bag.
    Thanks guys. It's nice to know I'm not the only one, and I'll give the WD-40 thing a try. What would the world be without WD-40.

5. May 17, 2008 at 4:54 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I shivver hinking about it.:)

6. May 17, 2008 at 6:52 AM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    My new truck did the exact same thing yesterday. I consider these little quirks part of the break in. I plan on refraining from worrying about it or trying to do minor little fixes like the WD40 squirt. I think if it was a big problem Toyota would have fixed it since we are now in the 4th year of production on this truck.

7. Dec 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    JM4by4

JM4by4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma, access cab, 4 cylinder, 4x4, manual tranny
    I also have the exact same issue with my truck. I think it is somehow related to the air condioner or the air conditioner compressor.

I have searched other websites such as toyotanation.com, and it seems to be a common issue. It was difficult to search since a lot of the posts were titled "noise" "weird noise" "grinding" etc. You would think people would title their posts with the words 'air conditioning'... it would make searching easier.

But anyway, it is a common issue. However, I could not find any definitive ANSWER to the issue. Frustrating to read dozens of scattered posts, but no answers.

As for me, I'm just going to live with it, unless it breaks or whatever. I have a friend who's truck has been doing it for a couple of years.

8. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    Turbonium

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I decided to live with it. I didn't do the WD-40 thing.

It's almost comforting now. It kind of lets me know that I'm all set to go:

"Atomic Batteries to Power!"*

"Turbine to Speed!"*

"Air Conditioner to Grind!"

Vooooosh! We're off.

* Old Batman TV show reference for you youngin's

9. Jan 3, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    redrazr

redrazr Psalm 118:5-6

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 Xtracab TRD PreRunner
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Method NV Diamond wheels, Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 265/75-16's
    my truck does this exact thing when i first crank it up. it seems it's worse when it's hot out.

10. Jan 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I also have been having this issue with my truck for the past 4 months now. It is extremely irritating to fire up your engine, and when the compressor clutch is engaged a horrible grinding/grunting noise is given in return..

I'll be taking it to the dealer as soon as I get some time and see if the techs can figure this one out.

11. Jan 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    1 bad tacoma

1 bad tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    rustburg Va
    Vehicle:
    05 trdsport 4x4
    grapics, 6" fabtech lift, volant intake with ram air scoop, cleared head lights, chrome kit, westin bull bar and steps, custom toyota emblem, throttle body spacer, flomaster 40 series, dick cepeck black and sliver dc1s, trd seat covers, thrid brake light cover, chrome tail lights
    never had that problem out of my 05 but it almost sound to me that the bearings might have a rough spot on them

12. Jul 17, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    craigR

craigR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5
    Has anyone gotten any answers on this problem? (Hi, I'm Craig) I joined just so I could search and talk about this. I Have an 06 4cyl, bought new, that does the same thing. I've had this issue before and my local dealership replaced the compressor. Six months later and it's doing the same thing, this time, I'm out of warranty. Imagine that?

13. Jul 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    Turbonium

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    As far as I can tell, the answer is "you'll have that". Mine is still doing it, and it happens so much I hardly even notice anymore. My personal opinion is that it's just workman-like design without any finesse. I think it'll be fine... just a little annoying.

14. Jul 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    not very elegantly engineered

Buy a RidgeLine

15. Jul 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    CometKat

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    I decided to take my truck to the Toyota dealer today to have this noise checked out. Then I could make an appointment for next week. So I drive the truck about 3 miles, straight there in the blazing heat with the air off, so I can demo the noise on initial startup. Of course when I turn on the A/C on for the service rep there is no noise. So I end up talking to the service manager for a while about the problem and he seems to think it’s the belt slipping a bit because the belt has maybe stretched a bit from sitting overnight, or in my case a few days, since I don’t drive the truck that much. The belt is always under tension from the tensioner so maybe this makes sense, or at least it did when he explained it. WTF

16. Jul 23, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    CometKat

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    I should add that I tested the air on the way back home and it seems to blow cold enough. My first Toyota, an 86, blew so cold that I had to move the temperature lever toward the warm setting even on the lowest fan setting. But as I understand it the new type of “Freon” doesn’t run as cold.

17. Jul 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    For those that hear the noise when you crank the truck over, would you describe it as kind of a boom noise?

Cause I get this on startup sometimes. I was thinking it's the AC clutch/pullies as well. Almost sounds like something shifting and knocking into something in the engine bay. My K&N bracket was loose and figured that's what the noise was but it's still there. Hasn't done it in the last week though.

18. Jul 23, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    CometKat

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    I would describe it as a sharp quick grinding noise or low pitched screech.

19. Jul 23, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    Baadboy11

Baadboy11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SB Offroad 4x4, 6spd
    Anyone notice their MPG going down dramatically with ac on? Feels like its dragging on my engine, IE slower acceleration etc.

20. Jul 24, 2009 at 6:31 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    sounds like a cat coughing a furball into the toilet . stealership says its normal... so i said " like the leaf spring clack i'm here for?" .....theres 2 fixes to make a great truck better

Products Discussed in

To Top