1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Conditioner Noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Turbonium, May 16, 2008.

1. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap

I found my noise.

It was indead my K&N filter hitting the fender well when I started the engine. When it's hot outside and the truck engine bay was hot (driving) the rubber gizmo that attaches the filter to the intake tube sagged because the rubber adapter gets soft when it gets really hot. I just slid the filter further up the intake tube as far as it could go, about 1" more.

2. Sep 14, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    excalis

excalis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Is the K&N filter something you added later or came with the truck? I just started to hear the same kind of noise when turning on the A/C and the compressor kicks on. Did doing what you did also fix the noise?

I never heard it as I would have the stereo volume up enough that I missed it. But one day while turned off and brought the A/C up, I heard it and was like WTF!

I need to get that fixed so if this worked for you then it should be the same for me. Can you post a pic? :)

3. Nov 15, 2009 at 5:20 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    So has anyone actually gotten this fixed at the dealer? I can't replicate the noise now since mine only makes that awful grinding noise in the hot weather.

4. May 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    bump. I've recently developed this noise and to me it sounds like a bad bearing.

5. May 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Thanks. Everything works hunky dory I would just like to get this taken care of if it's going to be a problem down the road.

6. May 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    JM4by4

JM4by4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma, access cab, 4 cylinder, 4x4, manual tranny
    Yeah, that's the noise mine makes too. The noise only lasts for about a second. Mine's been doing it for about two years. Usually only happens once or twice per day, only if the trucks been sitting cold for a while. I don't seem to notice it quite as often in the winter time. Who knows?

7. May 15, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    I went to the dealer dis morning and they said it was a failed tensioner and they had to order the part and it will be covered under warranty. So I'm a happy camper now.

8. May 16, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    excalis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    I wonder if I take my vehicle in and let the dealer know about the tensioner possibly making the noise if they will fix it. It happens when the vehicle sits a while and when it is hot outside. It does not happen when it is cooler, just trying to think if this is what my issue is.

My truck is pretty much stock as far as the engine bay goes. Nothing has been added that can rub or cause this noise other than someting related to the A/C coming on during the time and temp I mentioned.

9. May 16, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    106k miles of it and mine still works. I don't think it's a big deal.

It kinda sounds like a mix between "grinding" and "spilling coffee on your coffee maker when its hot"

10. May 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    That is the only time mine makes the noise too.

11. May 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    If it only happens when the engine is hot maybe it's the fan clutch? Maybe try some wd-40 on it?

Mines getting progressively worse so I think we have different problems. I don't want the tensioner to completely fail and then lose a belt and be sol down the road.

As far as mine coming on with the ac I found on it's the slight boost in rpm not the ac itself. Try putting it a little more gas and hover the rpms just above idle to see if you have the same noise as me.

12. May 17, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    excalis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Iwill check on it as it gets hotter, then may look to see if WD-40 or something else will help. Just need to see exactly what it is I guess just to make sure I do not go squirting stuff on things that do not need it.

:)

13. May 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah don't get any on the belts they'll probably squeak.

14. May 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    excalis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    I think I am going to take it down to the dealership, leave it there all day and ask them not to start it up or work the A/C. I will head over there after work, after a long hot day and have one of them out there with the hood up and and ready for me to produce the noise for them so they can hear it for themselves.

I had started it up yesterday, rolled down the window, turned down the radio, and then the noise appeared. I can understand the A/C compressor or whatever kicking off, I hear it on the Corolla and other vehicles I have or had but this noise is not healthy sounding LOL.

I will give an update with what they say down there.

15. May 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    If it only comes on under very select conditions then you probably don't have the same issue as I do or at least it's not as severe as mine because I can hear mine all the time when I'm idling. It's kind of embarrassing in drivethroughs but I'm scheduled to get it fixed on the 31st.

If you want I can record it so you can compare.

16. May 20, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLz43qwrPes

The video makes it seem louder because I was so close to it. Sorry for the image part of it. You may want to close your eyes or do something else because you may get dizzy.

17. May 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    dmac11

dmac11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '06 2x4 AC
    Upgraded Head Unit w/Aux jack : De-Badged : Black Emblem : x-runner Rims : Seat Covers : Optima Battery : AC Inverter (aftermarket) : Full time 12v : Weather Tech Front Mats : Scanguage
    I dont use the AC really, and I usually turn off the fan (mainly due the the Squeeling DAMN YOU TOYOTA). But I believe that I get this same noise. It happens on startup and comms down shortly after, but not every start up.

I would say it has more of a rattle to the sound, i thought it mights have been piston rub or something.

18. May 21, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    excalis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    WOW, that is not what I have going, mine is just one inital grind type noise then it is fine, now, I don't know what will happen down the road as whatever is making it gets worse but I just dropped it off at the dealership so I hope to get this fixed.

I was going to get some video also but you beat me to it Jason :)

I don't think that is normal man, sounds like it needs to get some repair attention ASAP, good luck bro!

19. May 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    x2 on that noise.

Be sure to let us know what the dealership says is causing that grind

20. May 21, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    excalis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Just got back from the dealership and was told the noise was normal, I said really? May I try a couple of your Tacomas that you have on the lot to see if they make that exact noise?

The lady told me that each one will make it so I tried two of them and neither one of them made a sound or one close to my truck's. Matter of fact, I wasn't able to tell when the sales person had turned on the A/C on one of them. One of them made a sound but it was not of the grinding variety. They hadn't test drove or used the A/C on them so it was close to the same time frame and temperature as mine would have experienced.

They had one of the techs talk to me and he proceeded to mention that he had never needed to changed the clutch/compressor on a Tacoma. Also he said that Toyota has been careful to not overspend and needed to evaluate each case closely. He said the dealer eats the cost on repairs, I said well I can't return it if I am not happy, but it is costing me a bit of money and just want it to be working normally.

So...I will be taking a recording (video) of my truck making the noise and show them and compare to make sure it is the same noise I and they heard. I will post it on here to have you guys check it out. I told them I wasn't trying to pull a scam, and on a brand new vehicle that seems odd to make that type of sound.

I had my friend listen to the noise and mentioned it not sounding normal and thought that maybe the clutch in the compressor was going bad. In my mind it could begin to make the type of noise that Jason has. Of course my friend and I are no experts so I will record it and see what happens. If it is normal then so be it, I just need to make sure that it is.

Maybe I am just a whiner :p

Products Discussed in

To Top