1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Conditioner Noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Turbonium, May 16, 2008.

1. May 21, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    yoto4x4

yoto4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    canéda
    Vehicle:
    SWB
    YES=!!!
    have u tryed kicking the fan or taking it to the dealer

2. May 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    excalis - the noise isn't normal. Mine didn't make the noise when i first got it, it was some time later that it one day made the awful grinding noise. The dealership is just trying to be a dealership and not want to fix the problem.

3. May 21, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Thanks. I've got an appointment on the 31st for them to replace the faulty part.

I've already been and they said it was a failing belt tensioner. It's being replaced under warranty. The dealer that I go to is awesome and takes care of me. The best part is I didn't even buy my truck there.

Take it to another dealer.

4. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    excalis

excalis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH-oIbHrQME

I went back to the dealership about the noise and the shop manager heard the grind noise and still said it was normal, with a straight face even.

So, here is the video to see if you guys think it is normal, if it is, then I will just say that Tacomas have a special sensor that blast hot air out of the A/C compressor if it has been sitting for long periods of time on in the heat. This way when someone asks that the noise is I can explain it :)

I had another video where it was more of a "ka-chunk" sound, this one sounds like you are pulling up on a handbrake quickly. I just don't hear my Corolla, friends 2009 Frontier, my old Dodgde Ram, or the two Tacomas I had the sales guy test at the lot make this type of sound.

The noise is towards the end of the video.

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I have no idea what that is

6. Jun 29, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    2ktacoma

2ktacoma New Member

Member:
    WA-US
    Vehicle:
    2k SR5
    My is 2000 SR5 2.4L with 5 spds under 60k mils, just making really noise since couple weeks ago when AC is ON. It seems everyone here have same AC noise problem and trying to solve it.

Here is what I did:
    1. Fan set to #3 or highest speed (with driver door opened).
    2. Turn ON AC
    System is running for a while (around 75-85 F temp outside, hotter inside) then:
    1. AC clutch will engage for 18 seconds or more then
    2. Disengage for 8 -10 second, then this cycle will repeat exactly the same

Everytime the AC cluth is engaged, more noise coming up, specially when AC clutch 1st started to engaged

Questions:
    Why the AC clutch ON & OFF so quick (9 sec in cluth disengage- 18 sec in clutch engage, then repeat) ? low Freon ???? condensor is bad ???
    (I checked Freon screen. It running very constantly - NO bubbles at all each time when AC clutch is ON, freon just flowing). Might need a measurement unit to see exactly how much freon is left in there. Anyway, I feel cold & comfort when AC fan is set at #3 with around 80F degree outside or more !!!

Noise fixed:
    Using a pipe carefully to check & found out the loundest noise came out of the AC idler bearing(other noises came out around all belts). Opened up & tried to replace with new one. It turn out notthing wrong with the AC idler bearing. Hmmm cleaned up the all things around the idler pulley (Greese & sticky stuffs). Put all back and run for couple of miles, noise is now gone.
    I thought the noise came up which caused by those sticky stuffs when the belt turing.

Still making noise a bit when AC clutch is engaged

Do NOT use the pipe for checking the noise if you don't know what you are doing. and could cause dead !

7. Jun 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    same damn problem and it actually is weird. ill be at a light ill hear it then it will go away then come back after a little :(

8. Aug 23, 2010 at 11:48 PM
    G17GUY

G17GUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
    Any solution to this problem? I had the initial grinding noise but now i think the clutch or compressor is broke for good. It seems to automaticaly go out on overload, about 5 sec after the A/c button is pushed the light starts blinking and I have a constant noise fron the clutch when the A/C button is pushed .

9. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    excalis

excalis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    I gave up pretty much, Toyota has this issue filed and gave me a confirmation number so that if the A/C breaks down after warranty they will still fix it for me.

According to my dealer the noise is normal, nothing I can do but drive in there with the A/C dragging on the floor before it will get looked at. Even after having him try different Tacomas on the lot and not one of them making the same noise while in the same heat and sitting for the same period of time.

I have read of older year model Tacos making the same noise so I just convinced myself that it was normal and for some reason when it is hotter outside and it has been sitting a while it does something "special" before it starts compared to other times.

10. Sep 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    2010 and I've heard the second video clunk noise once during hot weather. It was right after startup never after driving a lot then using AC. The video before it I believe that is called the tacoma "diesel sound" in these forums. All AC related it seems. Perhaps this is what we can look forward to after the clunking stops.

Nessmuk likes this.
  11. Oct 1, 2010 at 2:41 AM
    zanko

zanko New Member

Member:
    The 2 times my 2009 v6 stick 4x dbl cab, made the noise was right after startup of the AC after the car is on on a semi-warm day, miles on truck when this started 28500K, never till now I have heared this before and I had a 94 for 15 years it never made that sound.lets face it folks, they dont build them like they used to, but then who can forget the head gasket sccene of the 90's.

Ofcourse the radio random off and on at about 5K but never since then.

Im taking it to the dealer Monday here to make sure its documented and make then stand behind what they are selling. Not to mention a loose door handle on the drivers side as well. I am not impressed at all with the build quality with toyota, but they are nice trucks by all means.

12. Jul 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    emery

emery New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 X-runner trd offroad
    I have a 2006 tacoma v6 and had the same problem, mine occured during the winter when I went to turn the heat on.

Took it to the dealer and was told the A/C compressor needed to be replaced. To get it replaced it will cost $1500... I took the relay out so that the compressor wouldn't turn on and it no longer makes the noise.

13. Apr 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM
    bpwilton

bpwilton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 Grey Tacoma TRD Offroad
    I have a 2015 that makes this AC startup noise after been sitting for longer than a day. I've searched this forum extensively for answers. I mentioned it to the dealer service advisor during the regular service in February, and he said it's normal. Has anyone ever gotten any resolution from taking it into a dealership? Or does everyone just live with the problem??

14. Apr 20, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It isn't really a problem. When you startup the engine is running at speed, when you engage the AC Clutch you throw this huge load on the drive belt all of a sudden. What did you expect to happen. Mine does it occasionally, my last truck did it for 20 years... No big deal.

15. Apr 20, 2016 at 7:06 PM
    bpwilton

bpwilton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 Grey Tacoma TRD Offroad
    This is my 3rd Toyota Truck and I'm on my 2nd 4Runner, and I've never heard a huge clunk/grind when the AC clutch engages at engine idle after the truck has sat for more than a day except in this 2015 Tacoma. It may not ever cause any damage, but I have issues with a brand new Tacoma making this horrendous sound. I'm hoping that somebody out there got a dealership to acknowledge the issue and was able to find a fix or replacement part.

16. Apr 20, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Good luck... You are gonna need it.

17. May 11, 2016 at 1:14 PM
    Darrell592

Darrell592 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Okeechobee,Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Double CAB TRD Sport
    has anyone checked the pressure on the low or high side of their a/c I know that most a/c compressors have a expansion valve and when excessive pressure is reached it will pop off mines doing the same thing and Im also going to take it back to the dealer

18. May 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Subed for outcome.

19. May 12, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Interesting this thread surfaced today. I was about to do a search.

My wife drives a 2014 4 Runner SR5 2WD 1GR-FE V6. I drive a 2015 Tacoma PreRunner 2WD 1GR-FE V6. Upper end of engines are different.

I've parked the 2 side by side and went about cycling the a/c systems on both repeatedly. The 4 Runner is very quiet. The Tacoma produces somewhat of a grind when the compressor engages. It's not a loud sort of grind like a wheel bearing, but you can definitely hear it. I began to notice this a few weeks ago. Went out on the WEB and dug up part numbers.

2014 4 Runner SR5 2WD 1GR-FE V6
    Compressor - 883206A540
    Clutch - 884102F010

2015 Tacoma PreRunner 2D 1GR-FE V6
    Compressor - 8832004060
    Clutch - 8841004062

Compressors/clutches are different.

I then went back to the beginning of this thread. OP has/had a 2008. I then researched that years Tacoma A/C components. According to villagetoyotaparts.com - the '08 Tacoma and the '15 Tacoma run the same compress/clutch. Also - 4 cyl/6cyl run same compressor/clutch. Mounting is different.

So the 2008/2015 Tacoma's have the same compressors/clutches. It would be my guess the years in between also have the same part numbers.

It could be that the Tacoma compressor/clutch setup is simply inherently louder. Warranty on A/C system is 3 yr/36K. I've got 21K or 16 months left on my warranty. Will continue to monitor.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Jimmyh likes this.
  20. Oct 25, 2016 at 8:35 AM
    BLM Ranger

BLM Ranger Active Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White DCSB TRD Sport
    I have been dragging my feet in getting this checked out. Squirted a little WD-40 on the AC clutch as Chris4x4 suggested and it seems to have silenced the squeal. Time will tell if this is a long-term solution but at least I can drag my feet a little longer.

Products Discussed in

To Top