1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air conditioning - on when it shouldn't be?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by danopdx, May 5, 2015.

1. May 5, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    danopdx

danopdx [OP] Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '02 4cyl 4wd
    I'm not sure, but I think my AC may be running when the temperature knob is set to "cold" but the AC on/off button is set to "off." I'll have a better idea when the weather turns hotter, but during a recent trip, the air coming through the vents seemed a fair bit colder than the outside temps, even with a little wind chill. Previously, I've also noticed water (not coolant) dripping from a weep hole on the engine compartment side of the firewall, as if it's condensing -- again, with the AC button in the "off" position.

Is this a known problem -- and if so, what's the fix? Possible that the AC button is faulty and that it somehow defaults to "on" when it goes bad?

The truck is an '02 4cyl, 4wd, ext cab, SR5.

Thanks! Daniel

2. May 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM
    Dominican1NYC

Dominican1NYC Mr. Wonderful

Member:
    Fort Stewart, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC Prerunner Pyrite Mica
    20" Enkei WT4's, BHLM FXR Retrofits, Thin lip Satoshi Grill, Kenwood DNX-5120 HU w/Bluetooth, Alpine Type-S Components Front & Alpine Type-S Coaxials Rear powered by a Kenwood KAC-X40, 2 Alpine Type-S Subs powered by a Alpine MRP-650, Weathertech Liners, Tacoma Bed Mat, Undercover Tonneau, Dynomax Super-Turbo Muffler, Tacoma Door Sills & Plasti-Dipped Emblems.
    On my 09, if I don't have re recirc button enabled then air will come through the vents. If I have it set to the colder setting the air will be cooler than outside, if I have it set to a warmer setting then it'll be warmer. Even though the AC is off, with the recirc button disabled air will come through the cab & the temperature will change depending on what you have it set to.

3. May 5, 2015 at 2:08 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    also if the knob is set on defrost the compressor will run even with the a/c button off

Products Discussed in

To Top