1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air-On-Board switch question...

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by imagineer, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Jun 1, 2023 at 12:28 PM
    imagineer

imagineer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    None yet
    Probably a dumb question regarding Air-on-Board illuminated switches, but has anyone removed the LED that indicates the switch is “on”?

A while back, I installed LED bed lights and interior lights for the truck cap. Both are on the same hot 12v circuit with a master switch in the dash (the AOB switch) as well as plunger switches at the tailgate and truck cap rear window frame. I.e., when the switch at the dash is on, the bedlights (and truck cap lights) illuminate when the tailgate (or cap rear window) is opened. Whereas I could have wired the bed and cap lights without a switch at the dash, but I wanted to keep the option of disabling the lights for situations where I’m using the truck with the tailgate or cap window open.

The problem, if I don’t remember to previously turn on the switch at the dash, when loading items in the truck at night, the bed lights don’t automatically come on (like at Home Depot last weekend ago in their unlit parking lot).

The other problem, if I forget to turn off the switch at the dash, the LED in the switch stays on and drains the battery. Granted this would probably take several days, but it’s motorcycle season, the truck is being used only 1 or 2 times a week (and I haven't used it yet this week).

So, to resolve this minor dilemma, I want to remove the LED from the AOB switch such that in the on or off position, the switch isn’t illuminated. Just curious if anyone has done this had found a problem with the switch afterwards.

2. Jun 1, 2023 at 3:33 PM
    15tacomatrdv6

15tacomatrdv6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dan
    Nothing yet. I just bought it
    So I just ordered lights from a place in St charles mo called Rogue Automotive. I was wondering about the same thing because they are going to install a switch. is this a good company https://www.rogueautolights.com/ . They said they are going to hook it to a switch I can just flip on and off.

Products Discussed in

To Top