1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

airbag light on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hamNswiss on rye, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Aug 16, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I think this site will ship to Canada. But I find it is still easier to find your part here. Then just search the part number at the first site. It would probably be worth calling who ever you buy the part from just to verify that it is the correct spiral cable. Hope this helps.

2. Aug 17, 2011 at 12:59 AM
    SirGeoff

SirGeoff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    West Coast - Vancouver Island, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Thanks again FBConvert - For some reason the Toyota Parts Zone don't seem to be able to provide details for a Clockspring for my model; however, I have sent an enquiry to Toyota Parts Superstore with my VIN and details, so hopefully they will be able to help with the correct one (what appears to be the correct spring in their catolgue is around the $215 which sounds right).
    I'll let you know what I hear back from them.
    Many thanks (again)...

3. Sep 11, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    en23

en23 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    How do you check the code for the airbag light? I know you use a paperclip, but where does the light flash? On the dash board? and how can I tell which code it's throwing?

4. Sep 11, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well. Mines on as well.

Ive emailed Toyota about it directly. Since so many people are having problems with this I hope they start giving us a break, its a real safety issue vs the accelerator pedal fiasco which turned out to be nothing more than poor driving. I can't wrap my mind around a ribbon cable in a plastic housing being worth $300+ dollars. Id pay the labour to have it installed but the price of the part should be covered IMO.

5. Sep 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    sync. let us know the outcome. I need mine fixed.

6. Sep 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    Holly bleepady bleep. My coil spring went bad. $507.00 dollars to repair this pathetic plastic piece of vomit that costs 3 dollars to make.

They finished job in under 29 minutes. I know so because I gave them my keys and started talking to my mother on the phone and was called in for pickup. When I hung up it said 28 mins 30 seconds. And yet for all the wonderfulness they still charged me $167 labor which somehow constituted for amount of work.

I made a point to have them give me the old part. It looks brand spanking new. Not a ding on it, no burned out smell.. nothing. Car is still under 60 months old but mileage wise I did not qualify.. otherwise it would be covered under warranty. Grrr.

I also asked them if toyota ever makes this a part of recall if I would get a refund and I was told no. I was rather ticked off because while they were fixing this thing they did 2 recalls on my truck. Some sort of OBD thing that makes my car behave differently when breaking and also they cut into my pedal.

2 weeks later they had the nerve to send me a satisfaction email.

7. Sep 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    thomasr1950

thomasr1950 19 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Member:
    central us
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Contact Toyota again, get in touch w/regional manager for help. Ur not the only owner who has this issue.

8. Oct 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    SOB! my airbag light came on the other day. After everything I went through with the SRS system I thought I was trouble free at least for a while. The funny parts was that the light went off the next time I got in my truck. :notsure:

I will have to see if the error code is still there even though the light went off. I think it would be ironic after replacing my airbags and resetting the SRS control module that I would fall victim to this POS clock spring fiasco.

At least I can replace it myself but $225 is still a tough pill to swallow. Especially when I have been trying to save my money for a factory roof rack which cost about the same!

9. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    Airbag light came on a few days back...my AAA renews in less than a week so Im having the taco towed 50+ miles to the dealership for free! Still under warranty so we will see what they say...

10. Nov 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    $450 repair...covered under warranty! stupid clock spring

11. Nov 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    My light just came on but I'm outta warranty so it looks like I'll be repairing this myself. :(

12. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    Dirt Ferguson

Dirt Ferguson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Napa Valley
    Vehicle:
    15 MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    KING 2.5 EXT, Total Chaos UCA, SCS F5, Katzkin
    I bought my '06 Tacoma on September 25th, 2011 with 53K miles on it. I had a two month window where, if anything were to go wrong, they would fix it free of charge. My airbag light came on December 2nd. FML. Time to get to work. :cool:

13. Dec 19, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    maser

maser Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    fog light mod,DTRL mod,alternating turn signal mod, BHLM, pioneer pt 3200dvd, fosgate speakers all 4 doors,AFE CAI, Magnaflow turndown exhaust, satoshi'd grill, Procomp 6 in lift, 2 Diamond audio 10's w/ 600w amp..........
    Mine just came on too....'06 w/ 115,000. It came on right after I changed spark plugs.....thought I did something wrong, strange coincidence I guess. Anyway, waaaaaaaayyy out of warranty, I will have to join the hunt with you guys :typing:

14. Dec 20, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Well there is hope... Check out myairbags.com These guys resent my airbag module and rebuilt my seat belts and soon I will send them my clock spring. They only charge $39 and given the great service and track record they have with me already its a done deal. I just need to take my own advice and get it done. My airbag light turned on not that long ago but it has since been off so I have not made it a priority but for only $39 I would rather be safe then sorry.

15. Dec 20, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    SLOsquirrel

SLOsquirrel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR 4x4 6-Spd Access Cab
    Icon Mid-Travel w/ Billet UCA's, All-Pro Expo's w/ Icon Resi Shocks, ARB Bumper w/ Warn M8000 Winch, Method NV's w/ 285/75 R17 BFG BFG AT KO2's, TC Gussets (spindle, shock towers, LCA cam tabs, etc), DMZ Engine Mount Gussets.
    Just purchased (12/17/11) a new-to-me 2005 Access Cab TRD OR with 60k (60,880) on the clock. The thing is in PERFECT condition but the airbag light is on. PO (cute younger girl) said it just came on last month a little after she had new plugs, tires, and brakes put on it at the dealer.

My question is if this is covered by warranty? It's been serviced by the dealer for EVERYTHING since new and has the records to prove it.

I was looking at the service records and it says the following about the warranty:

TFS Product Summary

Type
    Sub Type
    ID
    Plan Cd
    Product Status
    Effective Dt
    Expiration Dt
    Expiration Mileage

VSA
    PLATINUM
    WC5
    Approved and Issued
    04/08/2005
    04/08/2012

CERT
    WARRANTY
    MPJ
    Approved and Issued
    04/08/2005
    04/08/2012

CERT
    WARRANTY
    MPK
    Approved and Issued
    08/13/2007
    11/13/2007

Looks like it's good until April of next year?

16. Dec 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    joesmith

joesmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 4x4
    $39 versus the $200+ for a new unit sounds nice. I need to replace mine too, just waiting for it to warm up outside. I wonder if the 24 hour service turnaround applies to the clock spring rebuild as well?

17. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Well I can speak from experience now. I was involved in a accident tonight and my airbag on the passenger side deployed. For anyone interested I replaced my airbags with like new ones from wrecked donor trucks. I sent my airbag computer to Myairbags.com to get flashed and everything functioned as it should despite the fact that I had a airbag warning light come on for a while and then turn off (I assume it is from the clock spring which had nothing to do with the first accident). I still plan to send my clock spring in to get fixed but now I will have to replace the passenger side airbag and re-flash the computer :mad:.

[​IMG]

18. Dec 22, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    surferkid

surferkid Zombie Killer

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4 2.7 5spd
    camper, thule board racks, wet okole seat covers, AFE dry filter, smittybilt light bar
    just had my clock spring done today cause it IS covered by the warranty. saved me 200$ doing it my self to have some hack work on my baby... killed me a little but yeah i asked the manager at toyota escondido why some stealerships cover this and some dont and he said you can run the code two ways and if you run it one way through the service departments warranty thing it will come up as powertrain and is covered by the warranty so if someone says its not covered then try a different dealership or tell they suck and they are lying ha but yeah its defiantly covered

19. Dec 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    HILOTOY

HILOTOY HILOTOY

Member:
    From Big Island
    Vehicle:
    05 trd 4wd off road,tow pack
    OK, here's my story....... light just came on a few days ago. I was going to buy a new spiral cable and install it myself after checking this topic on TW. Just drove a co worker home and airbag light went off, passenger side was working perfect as well. As soon as he gets out, light came back on. Checked all connections under both seats, looked good. Anyone else experiencing this????? Could it be that damm clockspring cable or a bad connect...........a little help,please

20. Dec 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    maser

maser Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    fog light mod,DTRL mod,alternating turn signal mod, BHLM, pioneer pt 3200dvd, fosgate speakers all 4 doors,AFE CAI, Magnaflow turndown exhaust, satoshi'd grill, Procomp 6 in lift, 2 Diamond audio 10's w/ 600w amp..........
    ^^I wish I had an answer, mine goes on as soon as it's put in gear...and stays on. Most vexing, I know. Still searching for a cause, and reasonable solution.

Products Discussed in

To Top