1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Airbag switch question 2001 Taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mgeorge23, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Apr 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    Mgeorge23

Mgeorge23 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD 4X4..48,000 original miles
    100% stock truck!!
    Has anybody had the dash apart on there double cab Taco? I have a DC 2001 Taco that did not come with the airbag switch due to it being a DC. My question is doese anybody know if the wiring is there for it? I know in the newer modles they have seat sensors that turn the airbag off if a certain weight is not maintained. it also has the wiring for it behind the air vents. Anybody know if the 2001 A) have the seat sensor's B) Have the wiring hidden in the dash for the switch? My 10 yr old is begging me to sit up front but I would feel more comfy having the switch/sensor. Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 24, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    There were no seat sensors of any type in 1995.5 - 2004 Tacomas.

On non-Double Cabs the switch is wired inline between the SRS ECU and the front passenger airbag squib. This would require extra wiring to reach from the SRS ECU up to the switch location and then across to the passenger side airbag.

The front passenger airbag squib lines connect to the SRS ECU at exactly the same pin locations regardless of whether the switch is installed.

Start by asking your dealership what it would take to install a cutoff switch. The OEM cutoff switch isn't just a simple switch with open / closed contacts, so you'll be wanting to use the OEM switch module.

Such a modification would be governed by applicable federal regulations, and there's an outside chance Toyota may be obligated (or willing ...) do it cheap or even for free as a safety upgrade with good cause. I vaguely recall years ago some DC owner with 3 kids needed a cutoff switch installed, and I think he got some sort of discount or free installation based on good cause for the modification.

To Top