1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aisin vs EXEDY vs Luk clutch replacement kits

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jrf89, May 31, 2016.

1. May 31, 2016 at 11:34 PM
    jrf89

jrf89 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L 5 speed SR5
    Turns out i've got an input shaft bearing that's starting to make a rumble so Im planning a transmission rebuild and clutch replacement in the next couple weeks on my 1999 2.7 5 speed 4x4 taco with 220k on her. Ive got a retired mechanic for a neighbor who still has a "hobby shop" in his garage (really he just moved a bunch of his commercial grade tools out of the building his shop was in) so we have all the lifts, presses, etc you could really ever need to do this ourselves.

I havent had any trouble with the clutch yet but I believe its the original and im going to be heading to grad school in western montana this fall so while we're doing the rebuild i figured i'd spend the money and get it out of the way while i've got the time, access to the equipment and someone who's got a ton of experience in the area to help me.

Now from hours and hours of reading on this forum I think ive decided on this for the rebuild kit unless you all tell me i should go another direction.

http://www.americanpowertrainwareho...nchro-rings-fits-92-04-toyota-lexus-bk162cws/

But im still pretty undecided on the clutch kit. I want something quality but like i said earlier, im on a college budget so not wanting anything too fancy. I love the way the original drives and you cant argue with 220k so im thinking i want as similar to that as possible. My truck isnt lifted and driving it down old fishing and hunting roads is all the off roading she'll see so nothing too strenuous. I was considering this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EEXV46...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_20bnxbmwz6_b

but will defer to any pertinent wisdom you all wish to offer. Thanks for any advice given.

2. Jun 1, 2016 at 1:00 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Well my one 3.4 has the LUk clutch the other one has the Aisin Clutch both work for me I really can`t tell much difference in driving .

I think the cost was around the same for both but it has been sometime.

It is doubtful I will need another clutch but I like the one put together by Marlin Crawler.

While the Transmission is out good idea to do the clutch as well

3. Jun 1, 2016 at 5:15 AM
    johnny3

johnny3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    I've replaced Luk brand on cars with +200k miles so I know they are excellent quality. They're OEM on Acura & Honda.
    Aisin parts are always top quality too.

4. Jun 1, 2016 at 2:14 PM
    MrRiverMan

MrRiverMan Compulsive tinkerer

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco 2.7 4x4 auto, 96 Taco 2.7 4x4 manual, previously 2000 Taco 2.7 4x4 manual, 1994 22RE 4x4 manual, and 1996 T100 4x4 auto
    I bought a similar rebuild kit (maybe the same one) from that site and they sent me the wrong input shaft bearing. So double check that it's the correct one before you dive into the job. I had to buy one locally because I was in the middle of the job when I discovered the problem, but that website did refund me the cost of the replacement bearing.

I used an aisin clutch kit and have been pretty happy with it. I think Toyota used Aisins as the OEM clutches for 2.7s, and I've gotten over 200k on a couple of them.

Products Discussed in

To Top