1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alabama to Zion- 3 weeks and counting

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by justinalldredge19, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Jul 18, 2018 at 3:42 PM
    justinalldredge19

justinalldredge19 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arab, Alabama
    Leaving for Zion National Park August 4th.

Who all has been and what is some knowledge that can be passed around? We are planning on camping at Toquerville Falls, hitting up all the top things in Zion. Just looking to get some real world advice from people that have been there.

This is also not my first time out west. A local group hit up Moab last year.

2. Jul 19, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    mjs90

mjs90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 2.7 AC 4x4
    Looking for specific things to do in Zion? I go there 5 or 6 times a year, so I can recommend a bunch of stuff based on what you're into.

3. Jul 19, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    pray that they open Zion 100% by the time you get there... Bad flooding down there over the past week. Angles landing trail is closed :(

Toquerville is pretty awesome. Try to get in to Kanarraville Falls as well

4. Jul 19, 2018 at 5:06 PM
    justinalldredge19

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arab, Alabama
    So far the list of things are observation point, canyon overlook, angels landing, narrows, emeralds pool, and a few other hiking trails. We can do light wheeling as well. Taking the girls 4runner so can't get to extreme. It has a trd pro suspension and falken at/3 but its 2wd (I have maxtrac pads and recovery gear but don't want to test my luck). Good to know on the flooding, hopefully the weather will be forgiving while we are there. We are into pretty much anything, I can rock climb but her not so much so thats about the only thing thats off the table. Staying in St. George as well so anything do there would be cool too. If flooding is an issue what would be some other things to do?

5. Jul 19, 2018 at 11:47 PM
    mjs90

mjs90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 2.7 AC 4x4
    Start all your hikes as early as possible to avoid the crowds. First tram out is basically the only way to enjoy the park in the peak season.

- Angels landing is easy and unless she’s absolutely terrified of heights the chains are a joke.
    -Observation has the best view of the main Canyon imo and is a better hike than angels landing.
    - The narrows are awesome in the summer but you absolutely have to start early to avoid the zoo. It legit looks like a concert let out in there if you start later than 8am

There’s some easier sport climbing in St George that you can easily set a TR if your girlfriends down to go.

If flooding is an issue you can always spend the day in the east side of the park or take a drive up to Bryce Canyon

justinalldredge19[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 19, 2018 at 11:55 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Did Angels Landing last year for Thanksgiving.

Incredible experience...breathtakingly beautiful views...nearly shit my pants the whole time.

How more people don't die on that trail on a regular/daily basis is absolutely beyond me. It was crowded when I was there too making it that much worse.

Definitely worth doing though.

justinalldredge19[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 21, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    justinalldredge19

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arab, Alabama
    Appreciate all the info. We were planning on getting to all the main trails when the park first opens to beat the crowds. Not sure when school starts across the country but I know here it is the week after so maybe that will affect the crowds alittle?

Products Discussed in

To Top