1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alarm DIY questions Audiovox Aps-500

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mytacomaiswhite, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    Mytacomaiswhite

Mytacomaiswhite [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma White Base
    Hi! Currently a new member here with a 1997 tacoma with no powerlocks or alarm system. I have some questions on my DIY project of installing the Audiovox APS-500 alarm system. I have gone through the wiring harness and labelled each wire for ease of connections later on. However, I am not sure where a couple of the wires connect to.

First off , I recieved a relay (Siemens VF4-4511) along with the package. The manaul states there are more than 1 applications that require this relay. So does that mean I need multiple relays (i.e flash headlights, interior light, beep horn,etc.) or is that one relay supplied enough for multiple connectons?

Secondly, I would like to make use of the starter disable function, but I am not sure where the "starter cut relay" is located at. Is it also really necessary to cut the solenoid wire of the truck? (Page 4 and 5 with the orange, orange/white wire of the manual)

Last but not least, is the "door trigger" on our tacos a positive 12 volt output switch when the door is opened or a ground output? Is the horn a +12 v horn switch? (Page 5 with the purple/brown wire of the manual)

Here is the manual:
    http://audiovox2.info/docs/common/APS500/APS500_IM.pdf

Also, what is a fair price of a pair of powerlocks (OEM, aftermarket?) What should I expect to pull if I go to the junk yard (switches, solenoid, and...?).

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top