1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alarm stickers in the windows: yes or no?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by novataco, Jan 19, 2011.

?

Should I put the alarm mfg. stickers in the windows of the doors?

1. Yes. Let them know you have a sophisticated alarm

83 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. No. Keep them guessing. Fewer clues are better.

141 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...
    If someone wants to get into your vehicle, they will. Even if it has an alarm, they will most likely smash a window just to make sure. I speak from personal experience only.

2. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Black is the new red

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    Black 18 V6 SR TRD Off Road 4X4 DCSB 6-SP Manual
    Revolver X2 Tonneau, WeatherTech floor mats, vent visors & mud flaps.
    Adding an alram keeps the amatuers out of the vehicle (doesn't mean they won't break something trying though). To actually stop somebody from stealing contents in the car, add a backup battery system and a couple of "pain generators" inside the cabin. These are loud, high freq sirens that are designed to break eardrums after a few seconds of close exposure. I did that in an 88 Baretta GT and never had a problem in south Florida or Memphis, TN.

3. Apr 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    if any professional thief wants something out of your truck or even the truck...they're gonna take it. thats why we have insurance. But i had a couple kids pissed off at me and (dummy me, i left the car unlocked and outside) and they took advantage of it and stole my radar detector, 10" kicker and my shift knob. I got a Clifford system installed now so it just scares away all the poeple that take advantage of unlocked vehicles.

4. Apr 8, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    As a police officer I deal with BMVs all the time. Thieves are only worried by 2 way alarms. When they see that blinking blue light and two arrow shaped antennas coming out the LED housing they know its a 2 way DEI alarm and they look for a softer target.

If they want to steal your stuff becasue they know there is something worth waiting for anyway they will set off the alarm and see if you come out. They already know the unit will turn itself off (shock sensor) as a nuisance feature if the alarm goes of 3 times in an hour. THEN they will break in by smashing the window. Unless you have an additional glass break sensor they can steal your stuff as long as the door is not opened.

Stickers are meaningless for a car... however; they are excellent for detering home burglaries. In my experience car burglaries are performed by more experienced and sophisticated criminals than home burglars.

5. Apr 9, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I never leave anything of consequence in my vehicle and just roll with oem stereo so my main focus is making it a non theft of the vehicle thing. Yes, I use a club on steering wheel and have one of those 30k replacement things that I use on the clutch pedal to disable the starter. It is the one that supposedly can't be sawed, shot, picked or frozen to break........whenever it's not in the garage:D

6. Apr 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    jinxed77

jinxed77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4.0L TRD SR5 4x4
    Stickers don't matter cause the alarms don't work anyway. No one even pays attention to them. They are always mounted in the same location under the knee bolster. Their always wired in plain view and a simple pulling of the fuse or disconnecting the module disables them unless maybe you have a backup power source. It's better if the horn and wiring and module are hidden out of sight otherwise it's a waist of money. Never seen one wired good yet. It's more effective to just hide a kill switch under the carpet so it will not start unless you hit the button and only you know where it is.

7. Apr 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    jinxed77

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4.0L TRD SR5 4x4
    They can't read the sticker though,LOL.

8. Apr 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:

Knowing where the brain is does no good once its alerted its owner, which takes about 3 seconds. He is coming with a gun... who cares if you disable the siren at that point? That is why 2 way alarms disuade vehicle burglaries. Even if its not 2 way its better than nothing. We had 3 guys hitting all the Chevy trucks in town. Their specialty was to use a flathead screw driver and a hammer to force into the driver's door lock and then manually force the lock to open the door with the screw driver like it was a key. This kept the factory alarm from going off. They set off an alarm in a truck with aftermarket alarm which casued someone to report them and led directly to me pulling them over with a car full of stolen items. Had they known it had an aftermarket alarm they would not have opened that car door.

9. Apr 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    NaYoung

NaYoung Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC

Maybe try not parking in the ghetto? :confused:

10. Apr 10, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    jinxed77

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4.0L TRD SR5 4x4
    The original post is aftermarket not factory. Factory systems are a much more effective as far as stealing a vehicle but not theft of personal possessions. You can't shoot anyone over personal property anyway. Only if it's serious bodily harm or threatening your life with a weapon or something.

11. May 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    rochoto

rochoto Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    manchester tennessee
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma crew trd 4x4
    coil over lift,hydraulic shocks,navigation,dvd,18 inch wheels,toyo tires
    I got an 08 I was wondering is there a way to have the alarm beep once you set it. is there a way to set the volume mine doesnt make any noise when its set. I t came factory

12. May 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    A real deterrent is the unpredictable one... Keep your car well-lit and easily seen. Criminals act in the shadows of the dark often so if you can light up your car like a Christmas tree, you'll deter most criminals. Then wire up your own siren, but a non-traditional one preferably. Classical music is known to keep loiterers away, so maybe it also works with thieves :p

That Tchaikovsky really would be hilarious to hear and your neighbors might take note haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWoupHvd5GI

13. May 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know where you got your law degree... cracker jack box maybe? You can kill anyone stealing your property around here if they don't drop it and run. You could chase them down and shoot them in the back Specifically because they have your stolen property. Try knowing what you are talking about next time you want to tell someone they are wrong.

14. Jun 4, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    909tacoma

909tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Bingo!

15. Jun 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    x2

16. Jun 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    hvac

hvac Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Tacoma T|X Pro 2011
    Sony 7" HU with Tomtom navigation, remote starter with 2 way security system.
    :D

17. Jun 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Depends on where you live... if someone trys to carjack you in Florida for example, you are able to protect yourself and your personal property ie your Truck, car, etc. with leathal force if needed. :D

18. Jun 5, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    :drool:

19. Jun 6, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    Quad D

Quad D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quad
    Colorado, from CA, lived in TX, ID, and MT also.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma stock, dbl cab, 4x4, short bed, SR5
    Thanks DeVL that is good info! I'm installing aftermarket, no sticker, 2 way, glass break sensor. I use a 2 way for my Harley as well. It's important to know what local laws are for protecting ones property, and what authorizes deadly force. As I move a lot I know there is a huge variance. I've learned my lessons on using "excessive" force, in CA if you CAN runaway, it's your best option legally. IME of course.

20. Jun 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    im on your level as of this morning ... forgot to lock / arm alarm ... 15" kicker, amp, and gps unit gone in my case

Products Discussed in

To Top