1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alarm wiring question...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MotoXFreeStyle61, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Dec 4, 2007 at 5:03 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 [OP] Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Alright, I know that there are more experienced people out there that know more about alarms than I do. I recently had an Autopage RF-420LCD 2-way installed in my Tacoma. I got it because it lets me know when something sets off my alarm. I am highly disappointed though, because the reception on the thing stinks. It doesn't seem to have much better range than the stock keyless entry. What's the point of having a 2-way alarm system when you have to well within hearing range to hear your vehicle???:confused:

Anyways...I wanted to check the installation to make sure the place that I had it installed did it correctly. Low and behold I took my dash apart to find the box and I found a thin little black wire wrapped up and zip tied to the box.I even checked in the installation manual and confirmed that this was indeed the antenna wire. Last time I checked I thought antennas had to unwrapped and straight....:mad:

Long story short, this wire is kind of short. What would be the best way to get the best reception out of this thing? Considering its under the dash I know that there has to be a better way to mount the antenna. I thought about tapping into the radio antenna. I'm not an electrical engineer (mechanical engineering is better), but I was curious if this would be the best way to go about it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's a link to the installation manual if anyone is interested.
    http://www.autopageusa.com/resources/RF420 INSTALL manual.pdf

2. Dec 4, 2007 at 7:24 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    My Viper alarm has what looks like a small (7 inch) antenna mounted in the upper left corner of my windshield. I have had many Vipers and this was the first time I had seen this done. The installer said it was to enhance the range of the remote. I suspect that yours was supposed to be done similarly...

3. Dec 4, 2007 at 8:05 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    If you look at the schematic on the 2nd page you'll notice there are 2 antennas. One is for the 1-way pager (the one with the plastic housing) and the other is just a small wire. It should be a dashed line on the schematic. The one I'm referring too is the thin black one. They call it the "system antenna." I'm guessing that the guys who were installing this didn't think that the black wire did anything and just assumed that the 1-way pager antenna was the main thing. They mounted that on my windshield above my rear view mirror. I am a little confused though, on the schematic they say its a 1-way transmitter while on page 6 they refer to it as a two-way transreceiver. If thats the case whats the point of having the system antenna??

Hey rhoppas, do you have a manual for your viper alarm so I can do a comparison. I'm sure that these alarms cant be that much different when it comes to installation.

RF-420_cb85526cd6e2f1e1d4149a8ce5dfcd0a4db6061b.jpg

4. Dec 4, 2007 at 10:13 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    See, this just doesnt make any sense to me? why make the pager antenna seem so important yet have a dinky thin wire as the receiver/transmit antenna? I care more about being able to know that my truck alarm is going off from a distance than being able to use some useless pager feature. Unless....the pager feature also lets me know that the alarm is going off as well... Hmmm...food for thought...I'm gonna have to test this...

okay, got it figured out. The little wire is only for arming/disarming signals from the remote. While the thing on the windshield sends a 1-way signal to the remote telling the status of the vehicle. Me and a buddy of mine tested this out. While I was out of range to lock/unlock the vehicle, I tapped on the window to set off the warning alarm on my truck, and my buddy told me that the remote starting beeping and saying that the pre-alarm had sounded. This is exactly what I wanted. I guess in reality there is no point to being able to disarm/arm your vehicle from a long ways, but yet I'm still notified if my alarm is going off. Thanks for all the help everyone. I hope this helps people in the future. :)

5. Dec 5, 2007 at 7:28 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I know what you are talking about. Although I've heard that these 2-way remotes don't last nearly as long as the stock keyless entry remotes do. AM remotes supposedly have better battery life than the FM ones. My remote has 1 AAA battery, but luckily it has a battery meter on the screen so I know when I need to replace it. I personally don't know how long they are supposed to last. Thanks for the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top