1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment question

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Kevovek76, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Sep 16, 2021 at 5:24 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    there is indeed more to the story. what you say is half true but not complete. high caster at low speed does typically get this excessive feedback effect, which is why low speed commuter vehicles are typically designed with low caster configs while higher speed highway vehicles generally have higher caster designed in. you are right for higher speeds. but you can see the low speed effect of high caster in his video.

also to note that some prefer this. i have ramped up caster and feedback hugely on my truck to the point that it does actually bumpsteer beyond just strong feedback, and that is not regarded as a negative thing to everyone. if you know how to use it that will help you turn the truck, useful on a very stiff reinforced setup if driven at higher speeds. my truck is a bumpsteer machine, and it's also the most agile Tacoma you'll find on the road. but it's tricky to drive when you really get into that kind of setup, so not for everyone.

2. Sep 16, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    Sungod

Sungod Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Augustine
    Completely wrong. What alignment certifications do you have? None I am guessing. Using your flawed logic my bmw which has 9 degrees of caster should be breaking my wrists with every pebble I hit in the road.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but before you try to call someone out, you should at least be confident in what you are saying. You clearly know nothing about what you are trying to say and we all have to learn, but you don't learn by speaking nonsense and hope that it is right. You may want to take the time to actually read or talk to those that know so you don't look like a fool when you try to show your knowledge.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  3. Sep 16, 2021 at 6:48 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    k boss. :rolleyes:

4. Sep 16, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    JayRolla

JayRolla Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Wife's 2012 DCSB Tacoma Sr5
    Trd stickers for 10whp 32s on MK6 17s
    He has almost 5* caster. Toyota calls for no more than 2.7*. On lifted rig 3* is more than enough. I run 1.5* and stable. Also don't have the stiff steering. Caster is not his issue.

toku58 likes this.
  5. Sep 16, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    Caster is one part of the stability equation; SAI plays a greater roll.
    At 12° SAI, it's the reason a Tacoma can afford relatively low caster. Take away SAI and stability with lift; the only thing one can do to add back in stability, is to add more caster, over and above what is lost to lift.

JayRolla likes this.
  6. Sep 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    Sungod

Sungod Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Augustine
    For the love of god, will you please stop with these none adjustable angles. SAI as well as several other angles can be measure and with simple knowledge of geometry you can sort it out. No one that does alignments puts any emphasis on these angles other than they can show that something is bent. You are way over thinking this.

7. Sep 16, 2021 at 11:23 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Yes it actually is with your SPC UCA's.
    Set them at setting (f) or (g) and slide the ball joint to correct the Camber. You should be able to get your caster into spec, and move your tire forward at the same time.

I reset the LCA cams to the neutral position. Set the SPC to the (f) or (g) setting and set the Camber by sliding the UCA ball joint in or out. Get them into the ball park and than have the shop do an alignment and request the Caster to be set at 1.8-2.0 degrees. If when they are setting the Caster they tell me the Camber has issues, I explain to them how to correct the Camber with the SPC UCA's. It takes some time but a good alignment tech can do it.

JayRolla likes this.
  8. Sep 16, 2021 at 11:55 AM
    JayRolla

JayRolla Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Wife's 2012 DCSB Tacoma Sr5
    Trd stickers for 10whp 32s on MK6 17s
    I do the same other than I max the LCA cams for maximum caster/clearance and then back them back a few degrees to give the alignment shop some wiggle room.

9. Sep 16, 2021 at 12:04 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    Calm your tits...
    I never claimed they were adjustable.
    I merely stated cause and effect of lift relative to stability angles. For the love of God stop making straw man arguments. If you have found anything I actually said to be untrue, have at.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Sungod[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top