1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

alignment tech/ help thread

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by livel0veryde, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Apr 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    usaf

usaf Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road Double Cab
    All-Pro upper a-arms, front bumper with light bar, rear leaf spring lift kit, Walker Evans racing shocks all around
    Ok so after I put my 3 inch suspension lift on I gave it a couple weeks before getting an alignment to allow for some settle in the suspension. I then got an alignment the got the Camber to 0 on both sides and the Toe to 0.2 on both sides. The Caster is at 3.2 on the left and 3.4 on the right. My truck was pulling to the right after that. I just got another alignment today to make sure everything was still good and it was just like before. They told me that I might have a bad tire and to swap the front tires. Well I did that and it is still pulling to the right. Any ideas about this?

2. Apr 12, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got about 1.5" of lift all around and stock UCA's. Last time I got my truck aligned, I was able to get 0 Toe, 0 Camber and about 2 Caster on both sides. Well, since I spend most of my time on pavement, I think I need a change. I'm an aggressive driver on the back roads meaning I throw the truck into corners often and, as a result, the outside of my front tires are wearing quickly. I think I want to put some camber into the front tires so they're angled in a bit, but not so much where it won't track straight worth a damn. The alignment techs near me aren't the best and I've found I am most successful when I tell them specifically what numbers I want them to hit. So, any ideas? How much camber should I have them try to dial in? I'm thinking 0.5ish :notsure:

3. Apr 12, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    With roads being crowned, the truck will pull in the direction of the lane....right in the right lane, etc. Especially when caster is high and relatively the same on each side. My tech guy wanted to set the right higher (I think that was it unless i have it backwards) but I need close to 3* caster on each side to avoid rubbing issues.

4. Apr 14, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Bump, any insight on alignment specs for a pavement pounder?

5. Apr 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    pontastic1

pontastic1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport
    OME 885 + TSB/AAL, Light Racing UCA, Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau, OEM bedmat, AMP Bed X-tender, Neoprene Seat Covers, Weather Tech floor liner, Pop-N-Lock, UltraGuage, more to come.....
    Hi guys I recently go my lift done OME & LR UCA (huge thanks to 4RunnerSeth). Well I had the guys at Firestone do my alignment. They only adjusted the LCA. We had LR UCA faving D position ie +2 caster. Well they told me that it can't get the caster any lower. Should I tell them adjust the UCA to get it within spec. Thanks any input is appreciated.

image.jpg

6. Apr 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Yes. That is what the LR UCA is for; more adjustment range.

7. Apr 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    If they only made adjustments to the LCA cams , they may be playing caster off against camber .

Are they aware they can adjust camber at the top nut / slide of the UCA ?

8. Apr 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    pontastic1

pontastic1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport
    OME 885 + TSB/AAL, Light Racing UCA, Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau, OEM bedmat, AMP Bed X-tender, Neoprene Seat Covers, Weather Tech floor liner, Pop-N-Lock, UltraGuage, more to come.....
    I'm not sure, these guys were trying to say that its ok for caster to be high after a lift, I told them "NO", and said that should really get it back to 2.4-2.8 (I believe the magic number), told them I would wait but I'm going back next week to see if they can correct my alignment.

From SPC notes, I thought you were suppose to adjust the UCA while leaving the LCA at neutral to get caster as close to spec. Afterwards use the LCA to refine numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks a bunch

9. Apr 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That is correct for the caster adjustment made by " clocking " the ball joint

You can further adjust camber by loosening the top nut and sliding the BJ ,in or out , this can be done at any time

10. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    Gotta see where I'm at. Put on Toytec ultimate lift kit about 2.75" , maybe a bit less.

11. Apr 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Hektor

Hektor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 TRD DC v6
    Hello guys I took my truck for an aligment since I instaed 881 up front. The shop told me they couldn't do nothing about the caster!! My friend recommend me another shop. I have an appointment today what numbers would be good for the caster?? Here is as it sits now.
    nu9a2ane_73ca203066dba0142a459751e9fce5fd2dbe93f7.jpg

12. Apr 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ West Valley
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Taco
    OME Lift, Stubbs Sliders, Truxedo cover, Pioneer Avic deck, speakers/amp etc., Black badges.
    From my days setting up my car for the road course, negative camber will aid in cornering. I ran up to -1.5 camber up front to get as much grip as possible. Is that what you are looking for? Negative camber will prematurely wear your inner tire, but the trade-off would be increased front grip while cornering.

I'm not sure it would be worthwhile on a truck though, becuase you have other factors working against you like tall sidewalls, high center of gravity, and weight. I would try reducing sidewall height by going to a larger diameter rim before I would dial in negative camber.

13. May 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I took my truck back in to my dealer this morning. The steering wheel was off to the right after an alignment two weeks ago. Now it's off to the left, but just ever so slightly. Trying to decide if I want to take it back to have it fixed again, or take it somewhere else.

14. Jun 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    thelivestone

thelivestone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax
    stock for now
    Subbd.

I put 275/65/18s on my truck when it was stock and it started wandering to the right. (stock UCAs) I figured the tires threw the alignment off

But when i got my lift on billies (0 setting) and OME 885x and an alignment done, it still wanders. Gonna Go for some light racings and see if that corrects anything.

15. Aug 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    biborado

biborado Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Took in the truck to get aligned after getting all of my suspension pieced together and these are the results.

For reference:
    - King extended length coilovers (700 lb springs)
    - Camburg uniball UCA
    - All Pro Expo leafs

Drivers side eccentric cams:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side eccentric cams:
    [​IMG]

Alignment Sheet:
    [​IMG]

Alignment guy said this was the best he could do and that the passenger side cams were "maxed" out. I didn't have time to get under there myself, but before I go a second time i'd like to get an idea of whether or not there is any hope to get it into spec (Camber: 0, Caster: 2.5+, Toe: 0.05).

From what i've gathered, the extra lift (sitting at 3" of lift) I have right now due to my 700 lb springs and no front bumper or skids on (yet) is hurting my numbers but I thought the Camburg UCAs should still get me close?

16. Oct 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    mandzach

mandzach Well-Known Member

Member:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  17. Feb 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    BronsDaGreat

BronsDaGreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bronson
    Wahiawa, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    6" FabTech Lift 20x12 Fuel Hostage Wheels 33x12.5 Toyo M/T Camburg Uni's UCA Spintech Muffler AppRadio 3 BHLM Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners WeatherTech Vent Visors 6000k HID Headlights and fogs All Lighting Changed To LED AntennaX 13" Antenna Ceramic Tint K&N Drop In Filter Fully Debadged Blacked Out Emblem
    Is anyone else having this problem? My Camber is negative by 0.4 right and 0.6 left side and tech says that there is nothing more that can be done ... Im running a 6' fabtech DB lift.. Is this enough to really mess up the inner sides of my tires? I do rotate every 3,000 miles.. Is there anything i can do to add a tad bit of pos camber? I do plan on upgrading to coilovers in the front within the next couple months.. I bought these to fix a caster issue and now im having this issue.. FML.. Thanks guys..

18. Mar 1, 2014 at 12:37 AM
    DGaF.OC.Taco

DGaF.OC.Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 Taco
    Volant CAI, Doug Thorley Shorties, 3" Cat Back, OME 885x and Bilstein 5100's, 17" KMC XD126 w/ 285/70/17 BFG AT KO2's, Magna Flow, Remote Start, Tinted, Wind Guards
    What up fellas. Just installed OME 885x's and bilstein 5100's in the front. Took the truck in for alignment asking to hit 0 for camber, 0 for toe, and 2.5 for caster. I hadn't read this thread prior so I believed the tech when he said he could only adjust toe, ya I'm cartarded, so I didn't hit those numbers. The truck drives great but I'm worried about my camber/caster settings. Can they take camber down while increasing caster? I attached my numbers, let me know if you can't see them. Thanks fellas.

image.jpg

19. Mar 1, 2014 at 2:15 AM
    seanboy

seanboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    The way the camber numbers are sitting you MIGHT notice slight tire wear on the inside. With caster sitting on the lower end, you might get some vibration at higher speeds 70+, on Jeeps known as "death wobble". With those caster numbers you might notice a lack of directional stability when driving (constantly correcting the wheel to ensure the truck tracks straight).

The technician might be correct and toe is the only angle that is adjustable. However, if you have aftermarket UCA's then the tech is just being lazy.

20. Mar 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    I got to disagree about your assessment of the camber. Look at those numbers again. The cambers are barely out of spec on the positive side which may wear the outer edges a little.

DGaF.OC.Taco, The shop you took it to did not even touch the lower control arms (camber/caster adjustments). If you take it back to them you should probably remove the skid plate first as they will be more likely to work on the camber/caster if you do.

Products Discussed in

To Top