1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment & Traction Light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hellrazor004, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Went offroading today and hit something good. Through off the alignment to the point that my steering wheel is now about 45 degrees off to the left, but the truck drives straight. The turn signal also doesn't shut off at the right times (relative to the angle of travel).

And unfortunately the Traction Control light comes on and stays on (the one with the squiggly lines). Any idea what this is all about?

I'll be taking it to the shop for an alignment tomorrow. Just want to get an idea of what to expect.

2. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Did you run right over the obstacle, at least as far as the rear axle? You might have sheared a center bolt on a leaf spring and knocked the rear axle alignment out. If it was a front hit only, it could be a bent LCA, or anything else for that matter. A thorough inspection of the suspension before the alignment is something I would highly recommend, otherwise, you might end up needing another alignment after the actual damage is repaired.

The turn signal cancel won't work right with the wheel 45 degree off, and the VSC senses the steering column position, so its not happy for the same reason.

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Steering wheel neutral position and associated sensor being off will cause VSC/traction control to throw a code and shut off.

4. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    hellrazor004

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Thanks for the input guys.

Said obstacle was actually like 6 inches of solid ice. Only a front hit but it made a nice pop, assuming the steering column movement. Ill have them check the suspension but I can't see anything bent...the wheels need to be realigned though.

5. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    hellrazor004

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Update:

So the shop got it back into alignment but thinks I bent something in the steering (rack and pinion). He couldn't find anything externally but had to use almost all the threads on the steering arm.

He said it should be fine but if I hit it good again that it would most likely need to be replaced (~$1k job). Sounds like I need to take it easy.

6. Mar 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    If the rack and pinion had internal damage you'd have other symptoms such as binding and leaking. If an inner tie rod was bent, that should be pretty obvious. It is possible the entire rack moved sideways in its mounts, which again should be obvious. Way more likely a LCA, spindle, etc if it was a direct hit from the front.

7. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    hellrazor004

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Thanks landphil. No leaking yet. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Everything drives nicely after they looked it over.

8. Jul 29, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    tdoling12

tdoling12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trenton
    Palm Desert, CA / Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab V6 TRD Offroad
    Siren, asshole/bed light, pillar mounted pods, debadged, limo tint, Magnaflow turn down exhaust, Icon 2.0 VS RR rear shocks, fog-light anytime mod, Hankook ATM on Method 17in NV, 10in sealed subwoofer 300 RMS and 100 RMS to each door speaker, ammo can storage units in bed.
    Hey I has this same thing happen, but I got my wheel straightened out and the light still hasn't gone away

Products Discussed in

To Top