1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Pro Expos vs Standards (Or Dakars)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco Mark86, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Feb 4, 2015 at 10:33 PM
    Taco Mark86

Taco Mark86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    Magnaflow, Fox RR/ Camburg UCA up front, Bilsten 5100 and some kind of AAL/ leaf pack in the back?, Light bar w/ Hella, and an air freshener
    Hey guys, I have spent hours going through every thread I could find trying to decide between these two leaf packs. People who have experience with any please chime in. I want at least 3" or so of lift and I want the springs to be able to handle some weight on occasion, I don't tow or haul heavy loads often but I'd like to be able to if the need ever came up. MOST of the time the truck will be unloaded

Concerns with Standards;
    I have read of people not getting a full 3" of lift, Also dont want the truck to sag terribly if I have 4-500lbs in the bed(as rarely as that happens)

Concerns with the Expos;
    I don't want to get my spine rattled every time I hit a bump or pothole since the truck will most likely be unloaded and I don't plan on adding any expedition gear in the foreseeable future.

OR
    Would the Dakars with the d29xl AAL be a compromise between the two?
    (Also concerned the Dakars will sag in a year as few people on here have stated)
    Edit: Dakars are looking hella pricey compared to an AP package
    ($420 leaf packs +$80 brake lines + $70 u-bolts + bushings etc)

I'm riding on a Stock 3 leaf pack with 95k miles at the moment and running Fox 2.5RR & Camburg UCAs up front.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. Feb 4, 2015 at 10:53 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Buddy had the Dakar's.... Truck rode so stiff that it was only halfway nice with 500 lbs in the bed. He swapped them out for the allpro standards and is much happier. He tows a 21 foot toy hauler and has no problem with a weight distribution hitch.

3. Feb 5, 2015 at 8:53 AM
    Taco Mark86

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    Magnaflow, Fox RR/ Camburg UCA up front, Bilsten 5100 and some kind of AAL/ leaf pack in the back?, Light bar w/ Hella, and an air freshener
    I keep hearing mixed reviews about Dakars, people either love or hate them. I'm kinda leaning towards All Pro's though

4. Feb 5, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    I have the Dakars. They are stiff. I don't mind because I haul/tow often.
    Don't knkw much about the other packs though.

5. Feb 5, 2015 at 8:59 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    I have the Dakars with the D29XL because I tow/haul often in the summer and winter. It might be a little stiff for some, but maybe I have gotten used to it. I will eventually do a rear suspension overhaul with softer, flexier springs that can still hold a lot of weight.

6. Feb 5, 2015 at 9:37 AM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    My truck is a daily driver and a weekend warrior in Florida.

I have the Dakars and I have zero complaints; I enjoy them immensely, in fact.

Caveat: I have a double cab along with a full set of trail armor and a front skid ... so that might be enough weight to make them behave better than what nd4spdbh's brofriend experienced.

Since I installed my lift and armor in the same weekend, I cannot attest to the Dakar's performance under factory trim levels.

7. Feb 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    Robert B

Robert B Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD/OR 6 Spd Manual
    I recently installed Dakars along with ICON 2.5's all around. I took 1 leaf out of the Dakars. It rides much better than stock with far more control and I have yet to bottom out, which happened regularly with the stock springs.

8. Feb 5, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    PPansini10

PPansini10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09' DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Originally, i had the all pro standards which were good springs with good flex and decent lift... unless you had any kind of weight in the bed. When i bought my cap they sagged and couldn't handle it. Now i have the Dakars with the d29xl aal and they are way better with the weight. They flex great, and i still have a very smooth ride. I have pics of my truck with both on my build.

9. Feb 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    I recently installed Dakars as well and got a full 3"s of lift. A little more than I wanted and they ride stiff. But nothing unbearable.

RobertB - just curious. Is your truck a DCSB, what is you hub to fender measurement, and do you have "+" or "-" leafs?

10. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Lets put it this way, even when my buddy took out one of the overloads out of his dakars it still rode stiffer than my old 1ton chevy that would jar your bones. I will say the dakars were PHENOMENAL with ~ 500 lbs of weight

sounds like the allpro expo's are the halfway between alpro standards and dakars.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  11. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Well removing an overload from the Dakars would do nothing to change the spring rate of the pack so it makes sense that the stiffness would be the same

12. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    I thought the expos were for 400-500 lbs CONSTANTLY in the bed :notsure: I heard they sit around 3" loaded and 4" unloaded.

"All-Pro's Expedition Leaf Springs feature a 20% higher spring rate than their standard leaf springs. They are otherwise identical in dimension and quality, providing the same eye-to-eye measurements and wheel travel. On unloaded Tacomas, they will result in a 1" taller stance than the stated lift height of 3". The stated lift height is maintained with loads of 400-500 lbs of cargo."

13. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Yep

14. Feb 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM
    Taco Mark86

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    If the Expos are in between Dakars and Standards they will be my choice.. can anyone second this?

15. Feb 5, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

The Expos have more lift than the Dakars and the same or more capacity

16. Feb 5, 2015 at 12:47 PM
    Taco Mark86

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    Any thoughts on the ride quality when compared to Dakars?

17. Feb 5, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    the allpros are a much more progressive spring so the ride will likely be much smoother even with the expos.

18. Feb 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    Robert B

Robert B Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD/OR 6 Spd Manual
    I have a DCSB. I don't know that measurement. I have "+" leaves.

19. Feb 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I haven't ridden in a truck with them but you're gonna get 3 1/2"-4" of lift unloaded

20. Feb 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    ttran

ttran Expert Mallcrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    I've been deciding for awhile too and just pulled the trigger on a set of Expo's today. I have a longbed however though and I plan on getting a cap eventually which should smooth out the ride. I had a set of Dakar's on my first gen and didn't have any complaints at all aside from excessive squeaking. But then again, all leafs squeak after being exposed to the elements.

Products Discussed in

To Top