1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

all-pro offroad 2005+ plate bumper installation instructions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zero niner, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Feb 19, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I don't see why not... Just something solid that will fit in the space...

2. Feb 19, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    zero niner

zero niner [OP] romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Agreed, the weight of the bumper is on the front 6 bolts (they face forward), the bottom bolts I believe are just for added support, this will also determine the height of the bumper. You could use aluminum blocks, or what ever works, just think that it was probably engineered to use their skid plate so assume that if you don't have the skid plate you have to replicate the thickness. Let us know if you need any help. Take care.

Rob

3. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    RocKrawler

RocKrawler Member

Member:
    The problem that I see immediately is that the bumper end caps are installed OVER the tab of the center section, not under it as outlined in step 3 of the instructions - this causes the end caps to sit a hair over 1/4" higher than they are supposed to.

Here is your installed picture:
    TacoSMBumperWrong_184839b5d55bdb8a6674e1a8bc91b9332f20b497.jpg

And here is the correct way they should be mounted:
    TacoSMBumper006_74e2dd68c3bf1713b00f1b8bc45e958fe85bed1b.jpg

Notice in the bottom pic the lip or tab from the centersection is not visible, thats because the end cap is below it as outlined in the directions (step 3)

This is the correct gap it should have when properly installed:
    TacoSMBumper002_fc3d9340ff1ccdeeda6f57b71279a070f7e54da9.jpg

(The chip in the flare was caused by an installer in a rush, not because of bumper contact after installation)

4. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    AH HA!! That makes just a little bit of sense. :) Of course, instructions would have helped (I didn't get any). But I figured, how hard could it be? Apparently, not hard, but easy to screw up... :eek:

5. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I'll fix it when I drop the bumper for the winch install (I think it's coming in tomorrow!)...

6. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    RocKrawler

RocKrawler Member

Member:
    I'll make sure and give my warehouse guy a swift kick to the groin for both of you for forgetting the instructions - I have a clean color electronic copy I can e-mail to anyone who needs them, just shoot me an e-mail and let me know which instruction sheet you need

terry@allprooffroad.com

If there's anything I can ever help with just let me know. I have not been on this board long so it looks like I need to get over here more often!

Terry
    All Pro

7. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Ah - nice tip!

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm gonna need to crank up my coilovers when I add the winch... Also, can I change out the line with everything bolted up to the truck or do I need to have the winch exposed to swap it? 'Cause my line won't be here til next week...

8. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    you can swap it on the truck. i mounted mine with the steel cable then changed it to synthetic about a week later. glad to see you checking out the other fourms RockKrawler!!

9. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Terry! Also, just gave you a warm TW welcome over here

10. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    saddle clamps?

11. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    RocKrawler

RocKrawler Member

Member:
    Thanks!

The synthetic is great stuff but you have to be careful to not let it drag across sharp rocks, etc. or it will start fraying. Using the steel cable as an extension is a great idea, but still adds weight to the rig overall - for those interested synthetic extension lines are also available that are safer & lighter. Masterpull also makes a recovery strap that has a lot of spring to it - so you can secure it to both vehicles & the bungee like effect of pulling someone out on the run uses your inertia to help pull the other suck truck out. This theroy was tested several years back when a friend watched a Suzuki Samurai yank out a 3/4T Suburban that was buried to the frame in sand - popped it right out and the Burb owned was stunned it worked!

12. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
  13. Feb 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    RocKrawler

RocKrawler Member

Member:
    Definitely! Masterpull also sells a protective guard designed specifically for the Synthetic winch rope, nice thick sleeve it slides inside of that lays directly on the rock or tree it has to work around & available in 5' or 10' lengths - I personally prefer using two 5' sections so if there happens to be multiple sharp edges to work around you're covered!

14. Feb 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Yup, I didn't notice that either on Longhorn's bumper. I'm in your boat Silverback07, I have my bumper put together correctly yet still have the clearance issue. That's some tolerances that these bumpers have... I'll see what I end up with the washers or using the braces as spacers too.

Rob

15. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Welcome Terry! Always good to have manufacturers on board to help out with product and installation.

I'm the fella who buggered up that nut plate that your sending up to Seattle. Thanks again!

Rob

16. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    garage_monkey

garage_monkey You're dumber than stupid.

Member:
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    Silver '08 and Lunar '22 DCs
    Murdered Out the Rims, ARB Bumper, OME upgrade
    Did you guys that have installed the all-pro bumper have to remove to skid-plate? Or did you take it off for the hell of it. I have been considering getting an all-pro but i don't want to lose the protection of the skid's.

17. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    I was not able to keep the stock skid plate, but if you're getting the All-Pro bumper, get the All-Pro skid plate to match! Not to mention, it's full beef, just look at Silverback07's build pics, you'll see one tough truck! And, you'll get one continous line of solid black protection under the truck.

Rob

18. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    RocKrawler

RocKrawler Member

Member:
    We use the AP skid on our trucks here, but customers who have kept theirs have had to trim it off at the front to clear the sheetmetal bumper. The Hybrid bumper doesnt have the clearance issue .

19. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I had to take mine off too, but I'm getting some different skids... And Silverback isn't running the All Pro skids anymore - he's got Buds.

20. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Wait! You have the bumper in 6 pieces??? That's new, I'll speak for the peeps above that we all had 4 piece bumpers, upper and lower front and 2 side wings... I'll be interested to see what the extra 2 pieces look like, unless you are speaking of the 2 little plates with nuts welded to them. Let us know!

Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top