1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Terrain 35" x 12.50 x17 tire options. Looking for opinions, tire wear stats, etc..

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Elevated, Nov 2, 2015.

?

Which tire do you recommend. You can select two best options. Thanks!

1. 1. BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A

35.3%
  2. 2. BF Goodrich Mud Terrain

5.9%
  3. 3. General Grabber

5.9%
  4. 4.Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar

17.6%
  5. 5.Hankook Dynapro MT RT03

11.8%
  6. 6. Kumho Road Venture MT KL71

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7. Toyo Open Country RT

29.4%
  8. 8. Falken Wildpeak MT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9. Falken Wildpeak AT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10. Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nov 2, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    Elevated

Elevated [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma Extended Cab. 3.4L
    Original Tacoma: 6" lift, air bags in the rear, 17x9.5 XD Series rims w/ 35" Cooper STT Pro tires. Body Armor rear bumper with swing arm tire mount, TRD Exhaust, URD True Cold Air intake, TRD Front Brakes, RIGID INDUSTRIES grill and LED bar installed in it, LED Rear Lights, TracRack rack system, tool box. Sold the truck. Bought 2016 ram 2500 Laramie diesel. (7/2016) Picked up 97 Tacoma 4x4 Extended Cab 3.4L. Building motor now. (8/2017)
    I've been running 33" Falken Wildpeak A/T tires on my 2012 DC LB Tacoma for the past 11months or so. Getting ready to go to 35" tires since am regearing and doing a bunch of other upgrades, but would like an opinion from this forum on the best tire for the following conditions.

1. 5-100 mile one way highway commute depending on job site. I've put about 30,000K miles on my truck this year.
    2. Extremely muddy terrain at work. Winter time snow and ice, as well as mud. Work in Sonora, CA area quite a bit.
    3. Tow a 14' dual axle trailer about 3 times a week. Total trailer load is anywhere between 1,000lbs and 6,500lbs. (hence the regear to 4.88 going in this weekend).
    4. Occasional messing around in the mud.
    5. Keeping in mind my long commutes, I would like some input on tire noise. I don't mind a little noise, but don't want to scream at my wife in the truck when we go somewhere either.

My 33" falken's came with 55K mile warranty, which is primarily why I put them on. I've put on about 30K miles on them and they still have good tread left, but I need bigger tires to compensate for the regear. I also wasn't exactly impressed with the offroad capabilities of the Falken AT's. They worked well enough get me out of muddy situations, but sometimes it was close.

Here are the tires I've looked into and priced out. I would like your opinions on these tires. I'm looking for something that will last at least 35K miles or so. All the tires I looked at don't come with any mileage warranty, and sears didn't really have any idea on how long these typically last.

1. BF Goodrich All Terrain
    BF Goodrich All Terrain TA.jpg
    2. BF Goodrich Mud Terrain
    BF Goodrich Mud Terrain.jpg
    3. General Grabber
    General Grabber.jpg
    4. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar
    Goodyear Wrangler MT-R with Kevlar.jpg
    5. Hankook Dynapro MT RT03
    Hankook Dynapro MT RT03.jpg
    6. Kumho Road Venture MT KL71
    kumho-roadventuremtkl71.jpg
    7. Toyo Open Country RT
    Toyo Open Country RT.jpg
    8. Falken Wildpeak MT
    Falken Wildpeak MT.jpg
    9. Falken Wildpeak AT (currently installed)
    Falken Wildpeak AT.png
    10.Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
    Cooper Discoverer Stt Pro.png

Thanks for the help!

2. Nov 2, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    Leppz

Leppz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport Premium
    Most of the tires you have listed here are a mud terrain tire. I highly advise not going with a mud terrain tire if you plan on doing any driving in snow/ice unless you get them siped.

The only tire I've had any experience running that you've listed is the BFGoodrich All Terrains. They performed great in winter as they have the snowflake winter tire rating and I never had any issues with them off roading. They were also pretty quiet. One downside to them is they weren't the best in the mud.

If you want a more aggressive looking mud terrain tire then I'd go with the Cooper's as they have good siping and will perform better in the winter than some of the other mud terrain tires you have listed. They don't have the snowflake rating, but they are mud and snow rated.

I know some people love to hate on the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs but I think they would work well for you. I run them on my truck and haven't had any issues. They have the snowflake rating and I think they perform better offroad and in the mud then the BFGoodrich All Terrains.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    Elevated[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    With all the info you supplied, if you want a bunch of miles out of your tires I would steer clear of MTRs due to how quickly they'll wear down.

4. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Original Tacoma: 6" lift, air bags in the rear, 17x9.5 XD Series rims w/ 35" Cooper STT Pro tires. Body Armor rear bumper with swing arm tire mount, TRD Exhaust, URD True Cold Air intake, TRD Front Brakes, RIGID INDUSTRIES grill and LED bar installed in it, LED Rear Lights, TracRack rack system, tool box. Sold the truck. Bought 2016 ram 2500 Laramie diesel. (7/2016) Picked up 97 Tacoma 4x4 Extended Cab 3.4L. Building motor now. (8/2017)
    The beauty of Sonora is that even though there is snow, there isn't too much ice and such. I'd say about 80% of my work is muddy in the winter and then snowy icy the rest of the 20%. .. roughly... And I'm leaning towards the coopers. Most of my work buddies use them since there's an installer in Sonora that really pushes the sale of coopers.. and he's pretty successful.

Thanks for the input.

5. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    How quickly?

6. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    I'm looking to get maybe 35 - 40k out of mine so I guess that actually satisfies your criteria o_O

7. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    That's reasonable. I just want them to last a year. And I don't want to be running slicks by the end of the year either! And I'm expecting roughly 25K miles this year.

8. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    You should probably be good with them then!

9. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM
    tacoloco83

tacoloco83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Just like Elevated said. Coopers are damn good tires. I have Coopers on my Power Wagon. I have BFGoodrich rugged terrains on my Tacoma and they've been extremely good tires for me. I live in Tennessee and I install Commercial Fencing so I use my truck on pretty tough terrain in pretty miserable conditions towing cats and material and whatnot. I've always depended on my BFGoodies. The more knobbier tires of course are always gonna him a little more. I'm actually bout to upgrade to BF All Terrain KO2s. I'm just a BFGoorich kinda guy. My second choice would be Cooper hands down.

10. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Cooper Discoverer Stt Pro Specs.jpg Toyo Open Country RT Specs.jpg

Here are some specs from the manufacturers. I decided to look at the snowflake rating, as @Leppz commented about.

The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's also scored well in the snow.
    As well as the Kumho's... so that's my dilemma. On paper, all these tires fit my criteria. And price wise, they are all relatively close +/- $50.

11. Nov 9, 2015 at 9:32 PM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    I ended up going with the Cooper STT Pro's. Love em! They look bad ass! And they feel great. They're actually not terrible on sound either.

image.jpg

Leppz and Ugly Betty like this.
  12. Nov 10, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    Tacoma man 76

Tacoma man 76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    K and N intake system/ cooper discoverer stt pro
    Hey man I'm currently looking on either getting the cooper discoverer stt pros or Toyo m/t. How do you like your coopers? How are they in any kind of terrain? Street, mud, snow? They look awesome by the way man. Thank you.

13. Nov 10, 2015 at 10:38 AM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    I've been in several jeeps that ran the coopers and really liked how they rode. Since I just put them on my Tacoma yesterday, I can't really give an opinion on mud or snow performance just yet. I'll be going on a few wheeling trips soon so I'll have an update then. However, from my inter web research and from the positive feedback I got from others running these tires, I have high expectations.

I will say that they aren't as loud on the highway as you would expect from a mud terrain tire. And traction is very good on wet roads.

Tacoma man 76[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 10, 2015 at 11:26 AM
    Tacoma man 76

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Oh I see thank you for your response. This will help me. Have you ran Toyo m/t's before?

15. Nov 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM
    Tacoma man 76

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    But so far on the highway it has performed nicely? And in the rain?

Elevated[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 10, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yes. Drove in the rain and on the highway at 70ish. Did great. I also towed my trailer with them and they feel solid. Like the on road traction. Am going to do a little mud run this evening, and see how they do in the mud. Should be fun.

17. Nov 10, 2015 at 4:18 PM
    2ndGenJonny

2ndGenJonny Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
  18. Nov 10, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:

Went over to "Tracy's mud hole". Tires have awesome grip in the mud! Got a little video from my go pro that I'm uploading
    to YouTube. Will need to get a better one later on. I'll post link once it's up.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

19. Nov 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM
    Elevated

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergey
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:

Here's a video of my Tacoma in the mud today. Pretty cool. Took my sister out for a spin.

Tacoma man 76 likes this.
  20. Nov 10, 2015 at 10:06 PM
    Skittles93

Skittles93 'Member

Member:
    Novato CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR SB 4x4 (sold) 19 4runner TRD Pro
    Frankenstein Mid-Travel Kit, sPod, Relentless Custom Baja Bumper, Relentless: Sliders, T-case skid, rear bumper, tailgate reinforcement, Rago Fab: Bed Channel Stiffeners, SCS 16" wheels, BFG KO2 275,75,R16, Diff breather mod, A/C hose extension mod, Custom exhaust routing. (Sold)
    Get ko2s. End of story, they are the best and only tire I will buy again. So...
    Pros: mud, rock, sand, snow traction, fuel economy, longevity
    Cons: cost, they slip more than (insert joke about something slippery) on wet roads. This past weekend I got pulled over for spinning my tires as I literally got to speed at the same rate as a awd rav4 but lights on the dash were blinking at me the whole time (wheel slip).

Products Discussed in

To Top