1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Allignment Question.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ETaco23, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Sep 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 [OP] Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Hi all! my allignment is ok I geuss, but I hate how far back my tires are in my wheel well. My caster is 2.5 and 2.7 passenger side is better then the drivers side.....

But I was wondering if I get my caster closer to 3, would it make my truck not drive good at highway speeds?

2. Sep 18, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Caster is your high speed friend. It gives you that "return to center". I just did mine and it's set at 3. What it did do years ago was make you get gorilla arms on slow speed and parking lots because not every car had P/S.

We always gave a little more caster on the right to compensate for road crown.

Since Tacomas are lower control arm adjustable then yea it would pull the tire forward but the result ratio may not be feasible. Going to 3 would not change the look IMO enough.

3. Sep 18, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Thanks for the response! well just in my .2* of difference (passenger to driver side)
    the difference is about alittle more than half inch. which is a considerable difference...

I think I may try to have my shop get it closer to 3* ...
    bc My tire is so close to the rear that any type of flexing and turning will result in rubbing the fender, which I or ready cut a grip load out of...

4. Sep 18, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Yeup i agree it won't hurt.
    There are lots of things to consider in your measurements.
    just a little info for you. i just went out and measured the difference in my truck and it was about 1/16 of an inch to my fender. My caster is .2 different. I would like to know if this works for you because a mis adjusted or tweaked fender etc could give you this big variation or ride height, suspension mods ETC.
    i would take down your clearance measurements before and after with your caster in the equation.

Then if this moves as much as you think it's going to then it would be some great info here for others have..

I'm curious.....
    good Luck

5. Sep 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I will def. do that... I have an appointment next weekend. so I will update this thread then, with a before and after clearance measurements, on level ground...

6. Sep 24, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    trucks at Schwaby right now getting the brakes flushed and a re-allignment. I told the guy to get the caster at 3*... Hopefully he listen's to me and does it. Most of the time those guys will just get it within spec... sooo hopefully!

Update soon to come. :)

7. Sep 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    well my brakes are really nice now! and My allignment is better. The stupid schwab allignment guy said he didnt want to set it at 3* bc it might mess with the power steering. (BS!!!)
    So he got it at 2.7 and 2.5, it was 2.3 and 2.5... So it did get thrown off after the 285's got mounted... It looks alot better though. Its a slight change but I do notice the difference. my tire's arent as close to the rear fender as they were. So Im happy! :)

I measured about a 1/4" difference in just a 2-3* change.. .

8. Sep 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Good for you.
    Yea that is close to 1/2 degree on that side.
    That makes more sense to me with the shift.
    Yea we use to have almost that much in the old land yachts in the 70's lol

It could have been he couldn't get it that far for some reason.

They only move so much lol. PS had nothing to do with it.

Happy Wheelin..

Products Discussed in

To Top