1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Almost New Owner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by tahoeDUB, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Aug 18, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    tahoeDUB

tahoeDUB [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiles
    SLT, CA
    Hi,

Let me first say I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, it's great, I have learned a ton. So, thanks.

I'm meeting with a seller tomorrow to check out a Tacoma. It's a 2002 w/ 108,000mi. I've been keeping an eye on the market in my area for at least a month now, this one is a good price and meets all my criteria.

So, anything special I should watch out for? It's not my first time buying a used car, but if anyone has any Tacoma specific advice it would be appreciated.

TIA

2. Aug 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    1. Search frame recall...1st gen;
    2. Search axle wrap;
    3. Search taco lean; and,
    4. Welcome! :wave:

3. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    x2^^^

I got my 01 at 101k miles.

Is it a V6? Records for T-belt at 90K miles. Should have changed plugs every 30k. Same with diff and manual tranny/transfer oils. May need a throttle body cleaning. Nice if all this shows up on maint. records.

Check to see that the driveline has been greased. Zerks on U-joints and double-cardan joints, and especially the rear slip yolk, which pumps out grease and can bind up. Should see evidence of grease spattered under truck above them all.

The weatherstrip at the bottom of the door windows dries up and weathers (cracked with silver showing through). About $30-40 apiece at the dealer. Easy DIY.

If an Xtra cab, the latches on the back pop-out windows break.

The shocks are likely shot. The traditional bounce test won't really reveal this. Go drive it over bumps on a fast road and see if it needs your full attention to keep going straight (cause the front wheels don't stay down on the road).

Sagging leaf springs in the rear. They may be near flat. If they are frowning, the need to be replaced. Excessive body roll and axle wrap result. Few hundred bucks for a new set.

Um, um, um...

Oh, yeah, welcome!

4. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    tahoeDUB

tahoeDUB [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiles
    SLT, CA
    Thanks, that's exactly the type of stuff I was after. :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top