1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alpine SPS-600C Component Speakers

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by IrishPilot, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Feb 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Alpine SPS-600C Component Speakers
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4Ug3dIJVpHn/p_500SPS600C/Alpine-SPS-600C.html

[​IMG]

Purchased these based on all the positive reviews to go up front with...
    Alpine MRP-F300 amp.
    Alpine CDA-105 HU.
    Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    Alpine MRP-M500 amp.

The Good...
    As others mentioned, the clarity on these speakers is great. While these are a budget set, they do sound great and are a marked improvement over the stock speakers...especially amped!

The Bad...
    First you will notice a reduction in bass over your stock setup. These speakers absolutely need to be run with a Sub. With a sub, the provide a great sound.

The second thing that really struck me with these is how the quality dropped as volume went up. If you are someone who listens to music only at lower to mid volumes, you will REALLY enjoy your bang-for-buck on these...however if you plan to amp them and crank them up, look elsewhere. Once these speakers got to higher volumes they became terribly trebly and crisp. If it makes sense, they quickly became very "dry" and VERY harsh to the ears. Im not a car audio expert, but I imagine this mostly due the tweeters and the fact that they are closer to the listener. Unfortunately they could not EQd down to resolve this either.

The Lowdown...
    If you are looking to upgrade these over your stock speakers, and plan to listen to them at modest volumes with the help of some kind of sub, you are likely to really enjoy these speakers, and they can be had for less than $100. But if you plan to crank up your music to any extend you will likely become disappointed quickly. Mine are soon to be replaced with some Hybrid Audio speakers courtesy of Mr Marv.

As always YMMV.

One thing for sure, I suggest contacting Mr Marv to get quality baffles or sub box's for whatever setup you decide on. If you are also looking at Hybrid Audio stuff or Image Dynamics, I believe he is now a dealer for both.

Products Discussed in

To Top