1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alpine vs Pioneer

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jon916996748, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Aug 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM
    Jon916996748

Jon916996748 [OP] Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    V6 4x4
    So I've been looking at new car stereos for my '08 AC. In the past I've used Alpine decks, but I looked at the Pioneer series and they look pretty good too. I was wondering if anyone has any input on this. Specifically I'm looking at the Alpine CDA-9884 and the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB. Also what is the difference in the Pioneer and Pioneer Premier series? The decks look identical minus warranty.

2. Aug 22, 2008 at 12:50 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Personally I'm a fan of the Pioneers however Alpine makes good equipment as well. I would get the one within your budget that has the features you want/need and looks best in your dash. :) As far as Pioneer vs Premier they are VERY similar however along with the additional warranty the Premier deck usually has a couple more features standard (I just compared the Pioneer and Premier DEH-P6000UB and the only difference I saw was that you can turn off the internal amp in the Premier version) .

3. Aug 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I came from a Premier DEH-P690UB. I liked it very well. I went with it because it was easy to operate and I didn't want to give up CD capability. I didn't like that it didn't have a progressive iPod search (takes forever to scroll around with), and muting was only done via remote. The remote is overly cluttered and buttons are all generic with no real thought to layout, so you have to memorize where your most used buttons are.

I really hate the new model's multi-control, as it is much flimsier, otherwise I don't see where there's much change control-wise.

I now have an Alpine iDA-X100. The screen is much nicer, iPod controls nicer. Seems less cluttered and a slightly better fit and finish, yet some things are harder to find. No remote, but guess I don't need one. No CD player, but I'm glad I cut the cord on that - iPod works just fine. Small thing, but this Alpine also looks a lot better with the red display than using a Pioneer with blue :p EDIT: I should also mention that by taking out the CD capabilities, I assume Alpine focused more on the sound quality for iPod connections strictly. I do know that they put in some upgraded D/A converters - Marv can probably tell you more about if that translates to hooey or actual quality.

Either way you can't go really wrong. Try to narrow it down by how easy it is to use.

4. Aug 26, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    pioneer pemiere does have more features i have the 790bt and it came with the ipod cable and other features, 7900 does not come with it although in my opinion those are the top 2 decks i would go with, i love my pioneer does everything i need it to do, the 6000 is nice my buddy has it and likes it alot no regrets.

5. Aug 26, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    i have an alpine 9886... love it so far :D

ive always been partial to alpine though some how... i always want to try something new and its always come down to pioneer or alpine in the end.

6. Aug 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I had the Alpine 9884 in my old truck and liked it. It doesn't have iPod control though, so if that is something you want, consider the model up. The sound quality is good too. I believe it has 2 pairs of pre amp outputs as well.

I really liked the way it looked in my car too. It was not super flashy, which is easily my biggest complaint about aftermarket stereos. It was as close to a factory looking HU I could find with the features I liked, in my price range.

I would recommend it and I am sure you can pick one up for cheap seeing how they are almost 2 years old now.

Go for it!

7. Aug 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM
    Jon916996748

Jon916996748 [OP] Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    V6 4x4
    Yeah I think I might cut that cord too. The only time I use CD's is when I can't hook my iPod up haha. Have you gotten any add-ons for your X100? I like that you can add the PXA unit and whatever else through the Ai-net thing. So I guess if I ever feel the need for a CD changer, I could always add one.

Thanks for all of the replys guys. I think I'm going to go with the X100 based on looks and the fact that it mimicks the iPod's user interface.

8. Aug 26, 2008 at 7:48 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    I have an alpine plugged into stock speakers and that thing makes them louder and clearer, plus if you have had alpine in the past and are content with them, then you should keep with alpine

9. Aug 26, 2008 at 10:32 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Nope, haven't added anything. If I did, it would be for HD radio probably. I already have enough expenses - next up is a skid plate and some component speakers :p

I'd just about put money on it that you won't ever think about CDs again. I don't even know where my CD binder is right now, and I'm loving that I don't have to fumble for them, have them sticking above my head, or crowding under the seat!

Products Discussed in

To Top