1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alright... Here is the question of the day...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beehunt, May 2, 2008.

1. May 2, 2008 at 11:01 PM
    beehunt

beehunt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport Black Sand Pearl
    3in Level kit
    Okay okay I know I have been posing and looking for advice... I made my trip to the dealer today and am now faced with a big decision...

TRD Off Road or TRd Sport???

Either will be a double cab short box. Looking to get a 3 inch kit right off the bat as well as some BLK Moto Metals I think...

Also i know hodge with be down for a black beauty but what do you guys think about white?

Thanks any input will help and as soon as i get it there will be pics and i will hit the mods as hard as the wallet will take!!! :D

BeeHunt

2. May 2, 2008 at 11:03 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    TRD Sport[​IMG] SUPER WHITE!!!

DO it!

3. May 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Offroad or city drive??

the sport is great for city driving... plus the looks are great

4. May 2, 2008 at 11:09 PM
    beehunt

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Vehicle:
    3in Level kit
    i probably hit the trails 20 days in a year and go up to tahoe in the winter 15 times a year bot for the most part city driving..

i do go out to the barn (i have 2 horses boarded) like 4-5 times a week about a mile of dirt road that can get nasty after the rains.

I do plan to change out the stock wheels and tires on the sport to some AT's or something along those lines

5. May 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    maybe the sport will be good for you... is gonna be a 4wd?
    anyways wait for more input... im sure someone will give you good advice

6. May 2, 2008 at 11:17 PM
    beehunt

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Vehicle:
    3in Level kit
    Yea 4wd for sure....

thanks for your input... i do appreciate your input as well... thanks man, one of my favorite things about this site, everyone is always here for help

7. May 3, 2008 at 9:07 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I'd go Sport but that's just me. You'll have 4X4 either way so, go for it. Go on Toyota.com and compare the differences between the two (I think the OR has a locker vs. limited slip) and see what your needs are.

8. May 3, 2008 at 9:17 AM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    all the above plus scoop or no scoop

9. May 3, 2008 at 9:21 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I'd go for the TRD Off Road. But I'm biased. I wouldn't buy a Sport because I want the factory E-Locker.

10. May 3, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    Ventura_Taco

Ventura_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    Pre-Runner
    I think I'd go for the Sport

11. May 3, 2008 at 9:40 AM
    beehunt

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Vehicle:
    3in Level kit
    Why do you think the sport? just wondering?

and do you think black or white?

12. May 3, 2008 at 9:55 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    Sounds like for your uses you'd be better served by the sport. Even stock I'm sure it could handle the type of use you're looking at. The stock bilsteins are trail worthy enough and I've taken my stock sport through some stuff that made me look in the rear view and just shake my head. It's an awesome truck. The hood scoop definitely grew on me. Just another way to set yourself apart from the rest of the tacos on the road, which seem to be multiplying like rabbits. Hell last week another blue taco showed up in my parking lot. But he's a non-TRD DC and I'm a TRD Sport Extended cab on a 3" suspension lift, so he's got some catching up to do :p

Even still I wish I had gotten the offroad with a hood scoop extra or something. I'm doing a lot more trail running than I originally thought I would and the locker would be nice. Also it kinda hurts that most of the extras I paid for at the dealership I just ripped out and replaced at 7000 miles.

I'd say if you know you're going to lift it right away, get the offroad. If if you're still on the fence, get the Sport. If you think you're going to hit the trails once or twice a week (and once you get a taste for it you'll find time to hit the trails while you're running errands) get the off road. The stock Sport sits a little higher than the offroad. Nothing official, just an observation from parking next to one.

Also keep in mind you'll have a lot of trouble dropping 16" rims on a Sport. The company I'm dealing with now was very hesitant to even sell me a 16" rim knowing it was going on a taco sport. I finally went for a 17" rim I liked, which hurt me a little on tire options. But BFG MTs and ATs come in 285/70/17 so you'll be alright.

Look at the 2 trucks next to each other. Find a toyota dealer willing to help you make the decision, if you know what mods you're going to get plan them out on each truck and see which will be more cost effective (I wish I had to the foresight for that one), most importantly don't stress about it, either way you're getting a seriously impressive completely under estimated badass truck.

13. May 3, 2008 at 10:35 AM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    I got the sport TRD because I do more city drivin' and stiffer suspension would be better for me. I also figured it was more expensive so the resale might be better later on down the road (just my personal theory). I do wish I got 4x4 though, even if I only use it once it would have been cool to have! Test drive them both and see what works for you! its your money chief, you gotta pay for it not me.

14. May 3, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    Oh, and depending where in the bay you are, I got the best deal in the southbay (San Jose, Fremont, Sunnyvale,Burlingame,Gilroy,Palo Alto) at magnussons in palo alto. I shopped for a week calling all the diff d-ships in the area and found toyota of palo alto would give me a deal that nobody else would..... I got my 08 DC TRD Sport prerunner w/ alarm, all weather mats, extra little tie down cleats for $600 under invoice (fremont toyota offered $500 under invoice, sunnyvale was $100 over, stevens creek would match palo alto but the guy was too pushy for me, and there were more) worked with a chick named lisa in internet/fleet sales. Good Luck on your Taco hunt.

15. May 3, 2008 at 10:45 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I would do the Offroad with locker, and do the locker mod. Being in 2wd, locked is a good thing to do on muddy trails. That way you don't get the 1 wheel spinning from sport in 2wd (I know, LSD... But LSD's still let the wheels spin some, thus the name.), and you're not in 4wd when you bog down. That leaves you the option of switching to 4wd for more traction to get out, and then switch back to 2wd. If you get stuck in 4wd its more or less winch time.

Edit:

Also, the LSD doesn't always spin both tires if one is in the air from what I hear. Some people manage to get it working enough to get out by playing with the brakes to stop the wheel in the air from spinning so the other gets power. But that's something you'd have to figure out, and being on muddy trails that get dug out by other trucks you will probably encounter ruts that will put 1 or more tire in the air.

16. May 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    TRD off road in super white is really the only choice. :cool:

17. May 3, 2008 at 8:42 PM
    beehunt

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Vehicle:
    3in Level kit
    Thanks for all the great feedback...

I am in the easy bay will more then likely go to Toyota of Walnut Creek.

As for the recap i do appreciate all the info and i think i am nearing a decision... the sport is sweet... the e-locker on the off road real cool but, yes there is a but, i really dont know how often i would use the locker i was out on the trails and saw a LSD sport hit it hard with the off roads... and more importantly i think i will more then likely be modding the suspension so weather is stiffer or softer i dont think i will really care because i am ultimately gonna change it right?

again any more input would be great and thanks to all that have replied..

as always

BeeHunt

18. May 4, 2008 at 3:02 AM
    outbacker

outbacker Mom's gonna fix it all soon

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Sport 4x4
    I personally went for a Sport 4x4 because I didn't need the locker and I wanted the color-matched grill, etc. I didn't want any chrome or the black door handles. If I could have gotten it without the poser scoop, I would have, but it doesn't bother me. The stock all-weather Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts on the Sport suck, imo, but that's easy to fix. I sold my stock Bridgestones with 2K on them for $250 on craigslist and put on Revos. The Sport wheels look alot better with the Revos on them. Mine is Super White and I have no regrets. The new metallic grey color coming for the '09s does sound pretty cool, tho.

19. May 5, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    teh locker will come in more handy than you think, just ask tacomaman06. he got one of his wheels off the ground after onlya few minutes on our last ride. also, from what i hear the LSD from the factory is not that great. i have heard of many people wearing it out. homerJ wore his out after just a year or two i think. the suspension is almost identical, not much difference at all. the sport does not sit higher than the offroad. when mine was stock the off-road sat slightly higher than the sport. it was barely noticable. the sport does look better in my opinion but the off-road has more functionality i think due to the locker

20. May 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    Off Road Ftw!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top