1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alright lets see how good yall are

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TheTacoManChach, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Apr 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    TheTacoManChach

TheTacoManChach [OP] I AM THE GREAT CHACHOLIO!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fayetteville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Halo Headlights Black W/ LED LED TailLights Bermuda 3rd Brake Black Pioneer/Alpine System Debadge Entire Rebadge Driver Side Door Black Volant CAI Tool Box ARB Front Bumper Flat Black Painted Grill Surround
    I need to cut some 1 1/2" angle iron 1/8th thick.

I have no matabo
    No acetalyn torch
    no bandsaw

I do have a sawzall.
    Do you think i could get away with cutting this with a bi metal blade?
    Or do I need a strictly metal blade.
    Or is this a futile method but would probably work.

My dad seems to think I can cut it with a Bi Metal blade.
    I think he is nuts...
    I know I can cut it with a Metal only blade as I have cut 3/4" anchor bolts with them before BUT this was a very ineffective method.
    Would it be wise to try this on my angle iron?

2. Apr 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    If it's a general purpose bi-metal blade you will probably knock the teeth off. There are quality bi-metal blades that will cut it no problem. Give it a shot. I would want something 18-24 TPI.

3. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    TheTacoManChach

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fayetteville, TX
    Vehicle:
    Halo Headlights Black W/ LED LED TailLights Bermuda 3rd Brake Black Pioneer/Alpine System Debadge Entire Rebadge Driver Side Door Black Volant CAI Tool Box ARB Front Bumper Flat Black Painted Grill Surround
    aight well then i will probably just snag a metal only blade from work...

I agree with you on the knocking the teeth off...
    i mean ya it cuts through nails and stuff like that... but angle iron? im not so sure about

I had attachments for matabo blades to go on a standard 4" grinder
    I had like 2 sets but I quit that job and left them (along with a full leather welding suit, my custom made 3lb sledge with 16" custom made Quad #6 Rebar handle, Custom built wedges Slow tempered, other small tools)

4. Apr 16, 2009 at 3:26 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You have a 4" grinder?
    Use that ....

If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend going to the store and buying one. You know you'll need it again sometime....

5. Apr 16, 2009 at 3:37 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    +1

I think you'll be fine with a bimetal blade. Make sure if you have a variable speed sawsall that you're not at the highest setting. You want to cut steel with a medium speed - NOT high speed. If you don't have the speed dial, press the trigger only about half way. I've cut angle with Milwaukee brand blades. I have yet to lose teeth on that brand of blade.

6. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Just buy the correct blade. Metal blades have very fine teeth.

I assume you live at home and are using your dad's tools? If you're a homeowner, an angle grinder is important to have. I bought one at Harbor Freight for $20. Works great for everything I've needed it for. Don't forget eye protection when cutting something like angle iron (or anything for that matter). Get a hot shard in your eye and your jerk reaction = 1 less finger.

7. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    JimKellyfan

JimKellyfan Active Member

Member:
    da South
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5 2.something
    ARE LSII Tonneau cover
    I am not a blade person, but Sears or Home Depot or something....Someone should know selling you stuff....
    Too, you can make friends with a Meineke or someone else with torches and welders...Most of them will do anything you want except remove your cats...

8. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    tussery

tussery Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Magnaflow muffler, TRD CAI.
    1/8" steel is an easy cut with a sawzall and bi-metal blades. Me and my friends have done alot of work with just a sawzall before one of us bought a plasma cutter. Sawzall's cut through Samurai frames like butter and they are about 1/8" thick.

9. Apr 16, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    The bi-metal will work, but it will take much longer than a fine tooth metal blade, and the resulting cut will not be a precise.

The bi-metal blades are more for use in wood or other soft material were there is a chance of hitting some metal during the cutting process.

10. Apr 16, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    tussery

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Fine tooth metal blades are bi-metal. Bi-metal refers to the construction of the blade as they are made with two different steels. A harder steel is used for the teeth while a more flexible steel is used for the blade.

11. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    TheTacoManChach

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fayetteville, TX
    Vehicle:
    I just went and got a 1/16th cutting disc (dewalt)
    i managed to get the tool room lady at work to give me the attachments like I had at the last job
    so I just put it on the 4" and went to town
    Turned out good

I will post pics tomorrow

And Ive been in construction for almost 4 years and I've always been told that BiMetal Meant that it could wood and metal Ie. Tin/Nails/other thin metals

12. Apr 16, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I use bi-metal blades to cut wood with metal (nails) in it.

I use a disc to cut metal.

Glad you got'er'done :thumbsup:

13. Apr 16, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    TheTacoManChach

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fayetteville, TX
    Vehicle:
    x2

14. Apr 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    tussery

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Again Bi-metal refers to the construction of the blade, look around and you will find Bi-metal metal blades and Bi-metal wood blades...

http://www.lenoxsaw.com/enUS/Product/BI-METAL_RECIP_BLADES.html

15. Apr 16, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    bradne

bradne New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 access cab
    I will second that bi-metal is the material it is made from. For example, I use Bi-metal holesaws to cut holes in steel all the time. I have used them to cut through one inch plate with no problem, however it was very time consuming and required a lot of cutting fluid.

16. Apr 17, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    TheTacoManChach

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fayetteville, TX
    Vehicle:
    well their ya go learn something new every day

17. Apr 17, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    JUSTIN08TACO

JUSTIN08TACO New Member

Member:
    JACKSONVILLE, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 Mag. Gray Offroad Pkg.
    I have seen some crazy stuff cut with a good recip. saw and a good quality bi-metal blade. I sell this stuff for all sorts of cutting applications. I have had many customers cut steel plate with them, just remember to let the blade do the work. If I were near you i'd just give you some to use that i have demo stock of. Happy cutting!

Products Discussed in

To Top