1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aluminum Radiator Install w/ timing and pump

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by El Taco Diablo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Mar 1, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    El Taco Diablo

El Taco Diablo [OP] Professional Pinstriper

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red DC, 5vz-fe, 4wd swap, LT, dual case, F/R locked
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    So, I've been planning on doing the timing belt / water pump / acces. belts / seals etc. My plan was to also replace the radiator while I was in there. I've been collecting the parts and tools neccesary to do the work over the last couple months. My plan was to have everything together and to to do the work in another few weeks...

Well... the truck wanted to act like a spoiled assed bitch and make me move up my plans to, like, RIGHT NOW.

Was sitting in traffic yesterday, on the way home from work. Aaaaand we had white smoke, a pegged temp guage, and whistling belts. Pulled it over, shut it off and let it cool down. Limped it to the next offramp and got it into a parking lot. >Cracked radiator<

So, I figured I'd do a write up on this thing while I go about it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    TrentonTDG likes this.
  2. Mar 1, 2018 at 4:30 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    So obviously I'll be replacing the radiator. Fortunately I had already ordered and recieved a brand new Champion Aluminum 3 row radiator. Was just waiting for the rest of the parts, to do the rest of this.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  3. Mar 1, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    While I was waiting for the tow truck, I ordered the Timing belt / Water pump / seal / gasket / etc kit.

Went with the kit from Aircabinman on Ebay because it's 100% OEM... and I couldn't find a kit made by Moog (inside joke for those who want to douse themselves in Rubbing Alcohol and light themselves on fire when people speak of non-OEM)

The kit should be here by Saturday.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    TrentonTDG and 1997tacomav6 like this.
  4. Mar 1, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    When I got home (5 hours after I left work). I searched out the best deal I could find on a new Fan Clutch and Fan Support Bracket. Rock Auto was the best deal in town. $100 + Cheaper than Amazon, even with $16 for second day shipping for the 2 items.

My thinking on these 2 items is... my truck has 265,000 miles. I have to pull both items to get at the timing belt etc. I'm not putting the old ones back on.

TrentonTDG, QMEDJoe and 1997tacomav6 like this.
  5. Mar 1, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    So, this morning I got the garage cleaned up and ready to pull the truck in. It was a disaster from the previous projects I've been working on.

Then I made a trip to Wally world to spend some more money... because obviously my spoiled assed truck thinks money grows on trees.

And yes... that's Prestone yellow... because Toyota Antifreeze is G-A-R-B-G-E! Sorry OEM freaks... you're wrong about the antifreeze.

Planning on flushing the system as best I can with the cracked radiator... BEFORE replacing all the parts.

Here is a great video that explains the Coolant Flush.
    https://youtu.be/oQsxmi-CNng

TrentonTDG and QMEDJoe like this.
  6. Mar 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Glad you got the pulley bracket with bearing, mine went out and locked up the whole front end of the engine and left me high and dry dead on the side of the road, no warning

7. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:01 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    I went back and forth on ordering it. But my luck, if I didn't do it now, I would have had it lock up 10 miles back on a dirt road and I would have been even more pissed that I didn't do it now, while I already have it off.

8. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:03 PM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shit man...didn't think about replacing that....damn.

1997tacomav6[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    So, I ran Super flush in to the system. Let it run till the thermostat opened up. And then shut it down with the flush up in the system. I'm going to let it kind of soak there for a bit and then run the truck till it heats up, crank the heater on and let the flush cycle through, and then shut it down and let it percolate some more... headed to Napa to get more Super flush.

10. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Yep you have to replace that bracket with the bearing inset there, it's just like all the other bearings
    up front there running ALL the time and it will go out on you sooner or later , mine with ZERO warning.
    I learned the hard way, most people don't do this bearing for whatever reason

IMG_8774.jpg

El Taco Diablo[OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    mwrohde

mwrohde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
    What do you not like about the Toyota coolant? That's an honest question. Coolant is a bit of mystery filled with very big chemical words that don't mean anything to me.

Also, what does the Super flush do?

12. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    So are you trimming the old shroud to make it fit or did you buy a new 4 bang shroud as it's smaller like the radiator in height???

13. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    I don't know yet. Once I get in to it and see how it's going to lay out, I'll decide whether to cut or replace. I have a guy with a 4cyl 5lug parts truck here local. I already asked him and he said he has a shroud if I need it.

14. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!

Lol... No worries on the question.

Toyota coolant is designed to last longer... NOT cool better. Prestone yellow cools better, but doesn't last as long. I don't care how long the coolant lasts, I want it to do it's job.

Another draw back is it looks too much like Dex-cool. If you take your truck to have it serviced and the idiot kid in the bay decides to top off your, low, antifreeze and uses Dex-cool... you'll have play dough in your cooling system.

Also, Toyota anti-freeze does not play well with any antifreeze. I've been on the East side of the Sierras looking for coolant and found many stores didn't carry Toyota antifreeze (They ALL always carry Yellow)
    And even the anti-freeze that is labled "mixes with all types of anti-freeze" is not a good idea to mix with Toyota.

Super flush with distilled water will loosen the rust, mineral, and shit deposits in your cooling system. Then you drain it out, and drain it out, and then drain it out some more... and the system should be relatively clean.

15. Mar 1, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dif strokes for dif folks, if it works for you than go for it.

16. Mar 1, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    Jackstraw13

Jackstraw13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Doublecab 4X4 TRD
    Look forward to hearing how it all comes out. Hope your having fun!

17. Mar 1, 2018 at 8:04 PM
    madmax700r

madmax700r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    98 4bt swapped on tons and 43’s
    Might be a dumb question but why in one picture does it state “cools up to 550hp”. Then in the other state “cools up to 700hp”?
    Just curious cause I’ll probably be ordering one myself to help keep this 4bt cool.

18. Mar 1, 2018 at 8:13 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    I noticed that too. The 550 hp is a screenshot from Champion. The 700 hp is a picture I found of the same radiator where it was listed on Ebay. (it was just a better pic, with the dimensions)

The 700 hp claim is probably from the seller on Ebay. I suggest getting the radiator direct from Champion. That way you know it's not a knockoff... AND I've always seen it listed on Champion's web page for cheaper than it's listed on Ebay.

19. Mar 1, 2018 at 8:17 PM
    El Taco Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    I'm always having fun when I'm in the garage! :thumbsup:

My wallet, however, is not having fun with the unexpected expendature of $600+ this weekend. lol

TrentonTDG, QMEDJoe and madmax700r like this.
  20. Mar 1, 2018 at 8:29 PM
    madmax700r

madmax700r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    98 4bt swapped on tons and 43’s
    Gotcha!:D

Yeah I know how it goes with unexpected expenses. Let me just.... :spending:

Products Discussed in

To Top