1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alvord Desert (Apr 2019)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by turbodb, May 14, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    turbodb

turbodb [OP] AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    April 25, 2019.

It'd been several weeks since my last trip and as usual that meant I had a bad case of the shakes. Spring is such a frustrating time from an adventure perspective - the weather seems so nice, and yet everywhere interesting is still covered in snow. And, the winter staple - the desert - is getting hot.

You can imagine my delight when a check of the weather showed that the Alvord Desert - a place we'd visited for the first time last October - was going to have weather in the mid-70's. From my perspective, we hadn't spent nearly enough time there exploring the roads; from @mrs.turbodb's point of view: we'd skipped all of the hot springs!

The horror, I know. It was time to go!

...I don't know if anyone actually remembers the last time we visited, but one of the most remarkable things about the Playa is the surreal experience you get when driving on it at high speed. It's so flat, and so vast, that objects in the distance appear stationary while the ground around the truck is flying by. The only reaction I've ever seen to this phenomenon is a big-old-smile, and that's what happened this time as well, as dust kicked up behind us, hanging in the still air - a Taco contrail.

Check out the story and all the photos: Alvord Desert - We Return to Explore (Apr 2019)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DavesTaco68, Roody, Durango95 and 2 others like this.
  2. May 15, 2019 at 4:37 AM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    All your trip reports are killing me. Keep 'em coming @turbodb

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  3. May 15, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    ...I started the engine. I was already in 4Lo, and I also engaged the front and rear lockers, hoping that the passenger tires which were on slightly firmer ground would be enough to pull the truck out.

Nope. More wheel spin. And more sinking. The front wheel was now up just above the center cap and the rear axle was just touching the water.

We were well past "sh*t" at this point on the cuss-o-meter, and the camera was long forgotten. Sorry. :sorry:

Read and see it all. Find out if we survived in: Alvord Desert 2 - We Don't Want to Pull Anyone Out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

catch up on the whole story: [part 1] [part 2]

4. May 16, 2019 at 11:11 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    ...The last few miles passed quickly at this point - we could taste victory. @mrs.turbodb even looked over and said, "Well, it was nice that one of the routes worked out!" And then we crested the last rise. In front of us - we could clearly see - Flook Lake. And not just Flook Lake - we could also see our road disappear directly into the middle of the lake...

What would we do? Read it all in Alvord Desert 3 - Gun-Shy, We Head to Hart Mountain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

catch up on the whole story: [part 1] [part 2] [part 3]

5. May 17, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle: