1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I correct on this wheel size? Help futureproof...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by pjo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dec 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    pjo

pjo [OP] The "Wet" Coast

Member:
    North Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport
    Ok so after reading the bazillion posts about tire sizes and rims, I think I get it but I need some clarification :D

I have a stock suspension '10 DC 4x4 on 17IN OEM wheels and tires. I have seen the posts that say the largest you can run stock is 265/70R17 without issues...

Question 1: If you go to a taller profile tire says a 75 on stock rims, what rubs? Just the fenders? Same question for a width of 285 - fender rub?

Question 2: I am over time going to be doing some sort of a lift (not sure what, but something under 3IN). I am looking to change to new wheels and rubber and I was looking at 18IN for future proofing. Using the Tire Size Calculator, it looks like 265/65R18 are almost the same size...correct? If I get a wheel that's 18x9 with a 4.5BS and 12mm OS can these be run now before lifting and then later changed to 285 with a lift without issues?

pjo

2. Dec 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I think you mean a -12 offset, not a +12 offset.

A +12 offset is likely to rub the UCA and will never ever have a chance of fitting a 285 width tire.

If you go 18x8 (which will fit better with a 265 width tire) you want 4.5 backspacing.

If you go with 18x9, you probably want the 4.75 backspacing.

But once you go a little oversize, and also change your backspacing/offset from stock, all bets are off about whether they'll clear your mudflaps and inner wheelwells without rubbing. The flip side of that is, you'd probably need to make those cuts later if you wanted to fit 285 width tires anyway.

3. Dec 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    pjo

pjo [OP] The "Wet" Coast

Member:
    North Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport
    Sorry bjmoose, your right I did mean a -12 OS :rolleyes:

I already have my flaps off as they were causing problems already so that's not a big deal. Any idea how much a "little" oversize is? I seem to be seeing a lot of different opinions on what will rub/not fit...

4. Dec 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    265/70R17 is a full inch oversize - more than "a little" IMO. Once front mudflaps are off, you probably won't have clearance issues.

People do funny things with their trucks but I personally wouldn't try to go larger than that without a suspension lift - though of course an alternative would probably be removing the stock fender flares, cutting and trimming the metal fenders, then fitting a custom fender flare. Also "cab mount chop" and "pinch weld hammer."

If you plan to offroad, I personallly wouldn't go to that 18" wheel - keep the extra sidewall height in rubber. I went to 17" wheels, and lots of folks already think that wheel is too big for good offroading.

5. May 30, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    island

island Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam USA
    Sorry

Products Discussed in

To Top