1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I going to regret getting an Access Cab?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by sook, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jul 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    if your gonna have a family then get the double cab. super easy getting the car seat in and out. plus you have more room for whatever else back there...like sex... before you have kids of course

2. Jul 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    Slotback

Slotback Triple Option

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    Double cab. Especially if you and your wife are wanting children in a couple of years.

3. Jul 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i have an access cab and i love it... for the look- i think it's much more balanced than the double cab, i've hauled 5 people in mine before- granted it wasn't as comfortable as the double cab would have been, but it works.

the number one biggest reason THE BED SPACE! i haven't read much about people buying trucks to actually haul stuff- i've had motorcycles and have a quad now and i need the 6ft (not 7ft) bed to fit everything. i just wasn't comfortable doing the bed extender thing with a double cab and the long bed version is just too long. I also used to have a 300m and everyone always wanted to ride in my car so i ended up driving a lot and so i kinda wanted to get away from that and i'm glad i did.

plus i like to have things that fewer people have, so i feel that my truck is unique when everyone else has a double cab and i like that mine is a special edition that isn't very popular/well known

4. Jul 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    There are ups and downs. Ups are you can still haul four ppl, but cramped. The bed is longer than if you decide to go with the four door(unless you get the long bed of that which is more). I love mine and wouldn't trade at all. Down side is space. Thats all.

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I had an 08 access cab... loved it but always wished I had a double cab. The access is pretty cramped for 3-4 people though manageable for short hauls. With the double cab everyone can be comfortable. It does kinda suck having a 5ft bed over 6ft (there is no 7ft like mentioned above) but thus far it's been ok. I don't haul much other than car parts or other normal stuff though typically. My buddy had his tow kids with seats in the back of the access cab and it did fine but still a bit cramped.

With the new redesigned access cabs 09+... I wouldn't even consider it unless you were going to mod back to 05-08 style because the new setup is useless and a waste of space.

Basically if it's just one or two people.... an access is great, but a double cab is a serious beast and well worth it. I'm single too but having the extra space for friends or stuff in cabin really makes it that much better. In fact the only real complaint I have thus far is the passenger seat belt beats against the side from wind with all four windows down... fairly minor complaint lol. Especially after the doors came loose twice on my access and had to be readjusted to not rattle.

6. Jul 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    I brought a DC home during a test drive and put it in the garage. The wife said I should get the AC because the bed is bigger. A DC LB wouldn't fit in the garage. It's only the two of us since the daughter grew up and moved out a few years ago, so people hauling isn't an issue. Getting groceries in the back isn't fun, but it works.

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    sook

sook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    thanks guys, this has been better than i hoped! if you have more to add, please do!

does anyone have a comparison photo of the AC and the DC? nose to nose or a composit image?

8. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    NUKEWORKER_69

NUKEWORKER_69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprise AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    I had an 08 AC before I got my DC. I could have saved a lot of money/time if I would have just got the DC in the first place. I dont regret my decision on bit, get the DC

9. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    Get the double cab.. and then we can all party

10. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    Mine looks good and balanced to me.

[​IMG]

11. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Get a double cab long bed. You get max space. If I didn't like to wheel my truck I would have gotten that.

12. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Love the access cab. It's perfect for a single guy. That being said, if I had any immediate plans to have a family I would sell it immediately. The car seats may fit, but it's very tight and I can't imagine it being safe in the event of an accident. There just is not enough space back there for humans. I don't even feel it's really safe for big people. The double cab has more space to crush in a wreck. If you look at pictures of these trucks wrecked, it's hard to imagine having a kid in the back of one of the access cabs. The double cabs also have side curtain airbags I believe.

13. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    like 90% of the other people said, get the double cab. even if you and your wife never had kids, i'm sure you will at some point have more than 2 full sized adults in the vehicle. and everybody knows how uncomfortable it is to ride in those fold down seats. please, don't be the guy with fold down seats; everybody hates riding with that guy, haha. seriously though, you will enjoy the ability to just toss stuff in the back seat or comfortably haul more people in your truck. these guys that are saying access cab, they are just jealous that they didn't get a double cab and trying to defend it by saying the double cab sucks. it's all fine though, we all know that the access cab is ugly as hell :D lol.

14. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    If your primary thinking is family then yeah d/c all the way. The only reason I got an Access Cab was because I wanted a bed long enough to sleep in. I dropped a Leer cap on it, installed a Bedrug mat, and it's plenty roomy for 2 + dog. It's nice to go hiking for the day, and when I come back not have to worry about pitching a tent. Sure I could have gone d/c long bed, but then there's no TRD offroad.

15. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    Tobogan9610

Tobogan9610 Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Buy a Dbl Cab. No question. What about full size friends. If they are all less than 5 foot tall then an Access Cab is still out of the question. Have you sat in the back of an Access Cab. I suggest it, because it will make your decision.

Access Cabs are for young people that won't need the extra room of stoller, baby seat, baby bag, groceries (unless you get a topper), luggage if you go stay at the in-laws, etc. Think of all the times you will need the extra room. If you buy diapers by the pallet which you will you will need the extra room. If it is raining and you don't have a topper you will need to put it inside the cab.

Double Cab. I'm just sayin'.

16. Jul 29, 2010 at 3:15 AM
    tacomarich

tacomarich luvsoffroading

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 offroad
    i have an access cab and i bought it for the fact of the longer bed. however, if i ever do get married and have kids one day; ill have to trade up for a double cab. it sucks having an access cab, when you bring along your family or friends though. the double cab will have a lot more room for that.

17. Jul 29, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Went from 82 regular cab to 05 AC. Hell I'm thankful that my shoulder isn't against the door and I can lean the fuckin seat back and have plenty of legroom. Kids are grown and gone. Don't wanna be the driver all the time and don't need to haul that many people around and got a good deal on it so there it is. Also just wanted base model 4 cyl too and that'd suck bigtime in DC. Fuck all the nonsense about one being any better than the other, it depends on your particular uses and wants. All versions are kickass so it matters not which one you have. Just think of all the poor cluless nitwits who don't have one at all, now that's what sucks, lol.

18. Jul 29, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    dbarn

dbarn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    I went from a 2008 DC short bed that was rear ended, to a 2010 AC. Try as I may, just could not live with the short, shoe box bed. Almost nothing fit back there. Could not haul my 4 wheeler, a twin bed mattress, or even a sheet of plywood. In fact if any needed hauling, I had to hook up to my trailor. Not a big deal, but definitely not convenient. A truck is suppost to be functional. For me the short bed DC was not. If you need a DC, look into the long bed. For a people hauler, we use my wife's SUV. Good luck in your decision.

19. Jul 29, 2010 at 5:18 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Yeah I didn't get that part either...if anything, the Double Cab looks more "balanced" to me.

20. Jul 29, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    The dc does look more balanced, and that’s why I don’t like them. In my opinion, I don’t like the look of the short hood, the short bed and the huge cabin space. To me, the ac looks so much better, and is more functional as a truck.
    I understand the whole back seat argument, but I look at it like this; whenever we need to take the whole family, my truck is not an option, and therefore my miles are lower and my back isn’t scratched up and full of garbage and spills from the kiddos.
    :D

Products Discussed in

To Top