1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I going to regret getting an Access Cab?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by sook, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jul 29, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    PatrickJW

PatrickJW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Rural Maine USA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD off road/towing package
    Just begining, doing some research having some fun!!
    I went the access cab & am very happy with it. My gf has a Subaru forester our kids are grown & gone so it's my daily ride & off road toy.

2. Jul 29, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    double for sure, i have a 2 year old, it would suck to have an access cab with
    a kid. i take her to and from daycare every day. it is nice to have the extra doors,
    go ahead and get a long bed.
    [​IMG]

3. Jul 29, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    At the end of the day, it is all about preference. For me, the AC long bed fits in the garage and the DC long will not. I needed the extra space outside for what a truck does, and inside the access cab is enough for my usual cargo. A laptop and a bag of groceries. The wife and I will not be having children, but if we did, her CRV would be just fine. On an off occasion when I have a third in the truck, my wife "fits" in the back for short rides. She is a small woman though (5 feet nothing and 105 lbs soaking wet). I could never imagine getting my fat ass in the back. Reallity is, unless your wife will be driving the truck, you will probably be getting a larger car when you have a child. All this said, in Europe (where we do not live), they stuff people of all sizes in the back of their vehicles and live with it. They have much smaller cars and trucks there. Your kids will probably be fine until they get older which is several years away. Again, preference is what it is. Get what you want if you are spending 20 G's.!!!!

4. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    BlackIce

BlackIce FNG

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Grillcraft grill, blacked out chrome grill surround, debadged, xd hoss wheels, more to come
    If you are asking this question, then you probably want to get a double cab. I had a 92 extended cab and it was perfect for the huge stereo system at the time, but that is about it.

My DC is perfect for just about anything and it has enough space if a couple more people need to ride with me.

5. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    kurt_kk

kurt_kk New Member

Member:
    Westin nurf bars, Fold-a-Cover tonneau.
    My first truck was a standard cab GMC Sonoma and then traded up to an extended cab GMC Sonoma and swore I would never go back to a standard cab. When I traded the extended cab for the Double Cab Tacoma I once again swore I will never go back to the extended/access cab setup. Every truck that I own from now on will have 4 doors and room to seat 4 adults.

As far as the baby seat I don't think there is a chance you could fit that into an access cab. My carseat only fits in the middle and would struggle to fit two car seats in the backseat of my DC.

My conclusion is go for the DC and you will never regret.

6. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    double cabs arent real trucks...you're better off getting a sienna

7. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Sometimes. For the most part I like having a access cab. If you plan on having more than one child get a DC for sure.

8. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    red taco

red taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    La Verne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Impulse Red Pearl
    I've tried to fit a car seat in the back of my truck for my little cousin. Its not fun and hers barely fit. If your thinking kids I'd say double cab

9. Jul 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    sook

sook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the input.

We're going to go to the dealer this weekend so we can see and sit in both and decide what we want to do. My wife said when we get rid of the Cobalt she wants a crossover something or other, so I'm not going to be moving the future kids much.

I'm glad someone pointed out that while the car seat might fit, it's not terribly safe in an accident in any case.

Thanks to those with AC for posting against the majority.

I assumed I would get a DC and she assumed we would get an AC. Haha! I pointed out both while we were out last night and she thinks she likes the AC better.

10. Jul 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    Good luck sook, with which ever one you buy. One last thought, read through this forum to learn what TSB's you might want to have done as part of the buying process, and which options might be better than others. I think now I should have gotten the TRD package for the beefier shocks, etc. I have the SR5 which is nice but I'd like the seats of the TRD and JBL stereo.

11. Jul 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    USNROBERTS

USNROBERTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PRERUNNER SR5 TRD SPORT
    I have a double cab and never use the back seat other than for storage. I kick myself for getting double. Trade ya! lol

12. Jul 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    sook

sook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    Thanks for the thought, Primer, the truck I am looking at is still under warranty even, so I plan on taking it in for the TSBs that are applicable.

It is a TRD, that's definitely something I want.

13. Jul 30, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    acmair

acmair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP PreRunner Dbl Cab Short Bed SR5
    I'm 18, and I have the Double Cab Short Bed. I obviously don't have kids, but its good as a family car if I go anywhere with my family, or with friends. I would have regretted an AC on the spot. Plus, if you don't NEED the additional foot of bed that you get with the Access Cab, the Double Cab's interior room is a good trade for a shorter bed. Otherwise just get a Long Bed Double Cab.

14. Jul 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    2006_TOY_TACO

2006_TOY_TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 White Prerunner TRD Access Cab
    MagnaFlow Muffler, American Racing Chamber Rims Teflon Black, 2" Front Readylift Suspension Lift, Black Badges.
    You will regret it. I dont have any kids and i dont plan on having any in the near future and i still regret not getting the DC. Dont get me wrong, i love my truck....but theres so many more possibilities with the DC vs. AC.

If i had to choose again....DC for sure.

15. Jul 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    limeyx

limeyx Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
  16. Jul 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    I have an '06 Access Cab and could not be happier. There are some minuses but not to make me want a DC.

As for those that keep talking about how hard it is to get a kid back there...I have a 4 year old who sits in a car seat with ZERO problems. Sometimes even have the wife in the front and again, no issues. Getting my daughter in the back is as easy as it was in any four door I have owned. It is almost like people do not know the truck has suicide doors.

When I was looking for a Taco, I looked at some DC and found ONE with a long bed.

I like my AC and would not give it up for a DC...but that's just me.

17. Jul 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    yours looks badass

18. Jul 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    x2 no double for me.

08 access, truck is my baby. I have my wife and 3 year old. No problems. Problem is when you first have a kid, you have to use the rear facing child seat and that would be a pain.

19. Jul 31, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    USNROBERTS

USNROBERTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PRERUNNER SR5 TRD SPORT
    Its just a baby you can have more...

kidding

20. Jul 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    GWL

GWL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Cole Harbour N.S.
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner 5speed 4x4 :)
    went from a 4runner to an access cab. i was tired of always taking people i prefer the 2 seater now, kids on the way definetely go 4 door

Products Discussed in

To Top