1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

America's Tires Scratched my new Wheels :( Help?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Gooney, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    They are just shitty oem wheels anyways no big deal

MTopp and jamonsote like this.
  2. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    I agree, maybe I typed what I was trying to say wrong.

By me saying "I just got these wheels back from powder coating" implied to him to be careful, I trust them, and have good reason to. The demanding new wheel, or in my case $100 to re powder coat would come if they ever damaged my wheel. A good shop shouldn't have an issue with that.

smitty99[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM
    Northern Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    :bananadead:

9TRDTCO and KelticAngel like this.
  4. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM
    CZ5ANM Taco

CZ5ANM Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Manual 35x11.5s
    Front Suspension King Ext Fronts 700# Icon UCA delta joints JD fab spindle gussets All Pro cam tabs DuroBumps Warfab steering sleeves Rear Suspension Old Man Emu leafs -Radflo Ext travel rears Timbrens ubolt flip kit SCS stealth 6 Wheels 35x11.5 Maxxis Razr [ 34.5 x 9.75 on 8.5 rim not on truck] Heavy Stuff Relentless front bumper Smitty 3rd Gen winch Big County Customs skid plates Arc One industries rear HC bumper RCI sliders Misc Arb dual compressor Arb rear locker Pelfreybilt fuse panel tray Cali raised ditch light mounts Cali raised bed stiffeners 5th Gen 4runner LED fog lights Racks Retraxone XR tonneau Yakima load bars Sherpa Roof Rack Camping Smittybilt Tent Dometic CFX50 fridge
    If you feel that you are losing time having to go back to the shop and have your wheels swapped to new rims... how much time have you wasted starting a thread on this issue and reading everyone's comments?

Are you going to be looking for reimbursement from us too?

Take the new wheels and be glad they're making it right.

roosterTACO and bjmoose like this.
  5. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM
    jmaxwel8

jmaxwel8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 White off-road
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    This made me laugh. But seriously you might want to put it in S3 before attempting this. There is a chance it would downshift 2 times before shattering the glass if you use D. J/K?

6. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Northern Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I own a Tacoma and 4Runner. These forums make me poor, I'll offer $0.01 per week.

7. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    ECT and S3, required.

MTopp likes this.
  8. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    Northern Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Don't forget the grey wire mod, need to hit that bitch in 4high locked up!

MTopp and smitty99[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:44 PM
    jmaxwel8

jmaxwel8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 White off-road
    Both solid points. OP has had a bad day. If we are going to give suggestions we need to make sure they help him.

Oh one last thing, then I'm done. Make sure you are in ECT, S3, 4H and you don't drive through any sand on your way to the window. If you follow these steps there is an 89% chance your Tacoma will operate "normally" and it will break the glass.

MTopp and Gooney[OP] like this.
  10. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM
    Gooney

Gooney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    I read them while I poop. Yeah, can you send me a few dollars I'll PM you my paypal account. And me reading these comments is something I want to do on my time.

11. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    9TRDTCO

9TRDTCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Says the guy with "money and power" :rofl:

12. Mar 15, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    TRDinOhio

TRDinOhio Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Lima
    Vehicle:
    16 Trd Pro 4Runner
    No more Turd-gen :)
    First off, that is a crap load of weight. The tech needs to force match that wheel. Pure laziness.
    If that IS forcematched then you have a tire with a bad heavy spot or an untrue rim. I'm not a fan of putting weight behind weight like that as the balance sucks. Your shifting the weight away from the outside of the wheel and towards the center which is not how the tire machine recommended the balance to be done...I guess atleast he did a dynamic balance instead of just a static balance.

Second, shit happens. I've worked in a tire shop growing up, they aren't exactly paid very well. Not to mention tire shops are where kids go to get into the industry. If you expect black tie service quality at a tire shop that's your own stupidity. There is a reason they charge 1/2 what a dealer does.
    Even at the most advanced dealerships with the newest corgi equipment and hunter balancers occasional damage does happen. The long scratch in the picture is from the mounting arm. The plastic may have broke or become worn causing metal to metal contact.

Last, They are replacing your wheels and doing the right thing. Anything more than that is just trying to provide good customer service. I would have them replace your wheels, rebalance your tires and force match them, roadforce them and make sure they are using the haweka adapter for Toyota wheels.
    In the future if you are the high maintenance type then stick with dealer service. It may or may not be much better but atleast you have more credibility to bitch at that point.

Good luck

P.s. Funny side note, some tire shops have no idea what a Haweka adapter is. They have the adapter but call them " fingers " ROFL

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    MTopp, StORmTrooperLV, JS760 and 3 others like this.
  13. Mar 15, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    Tac0maSteve

Tac0maSteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road Icon Ext. Travel
    DCSB... No mods here
    Have them replace them and then see if they'll let you keep the two scratched rims. That's good compensation. Then you have a good looking full size spare, rather two spares lol

Gooney[OP] likes this.
  14. Mar 15, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    Gooney

Gooney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Thank you for the help.

TRDinOhio[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 15, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    And for anyone else that runs across this thread...

Call around, visit a tire shop or two. Usually the shady looking spots do the best work at lower price because they see more aftermarket wheels come through (think 22"+ Chrome)

I just got mine done by a shady spot...they did awesome and even used black weights. The owner mounted/balanced my Methods because I was concerned about damage for only 20 bucks a wheel. Small shops stay in business from repeat business, chains don't have to worry about that.

MTopp likes this.
  16. Mar 15, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    TRDinOhio

TRDinOhio Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Lima
    Vehicle:
    16 Trd Pro 4Runner
    No more Turd-gen :)
  17. Mar 15, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    TacoRD16

TacoRD16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Fox 2.5 RR C/O Fox 2.0 RR Rear Dakar leaf Pack Headstong Brakeline Extension Bracket 16"Konig Countersteer wheels BFG's KO2 285/75r16 All-Pro UCA 1.25" All-Pro APEX Slidders Unided CB w/ Firestick II Lamin-X fog Lens 1" Diff Drop OME 1/2" CB Drip OME Mobtown 3/16" Skid plates: Front, Trans and Transfer case Relentless Hood Brackets AuxBeam Ditch Lights DBCustons Grill "Recolored" Matt Black Relentless High Lift Mount Softopper Diff Breather Mod Tail Gate Inserts HondoGarage Tablet Vent Mount Weather Tech Floor Liner
    I'm guessing you haven't seen the inside of the wheel where they have to grip the wheels.

18. Mar 15, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    LS14ME2

LS14ME2 Kind of a big deal

Member:
    In hiding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM Sport DCSB 4x4
    Center console divider thingy, rubber bed mat and side steps for the wife.
    I was thinking the same exact thing.. then slam your bloody fist on the counter and demand satisfaction..

smitty99[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 15, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    pc3coyote

pc3coyote www.pc3coyote.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    A Toyota dealership was installing the same Pro wheels that I purchased from them on my month old 2017 Sport. They did the exact same damage to the new Pro wheels AND my old Sport wheels that they removed. It was a month long ordeal but the outcome was that they ordered brand new Pro wheels which I did not have them install, replaced my Sport wheels with take-offs from another brand new truck, and refunded me the cost of the mount/balance/alignment that they initially charged. I wouldn't of accepted anything less.

I'd drive on the damaged wheels, have them order you new ones, go somewhere else to have the new ones installed, and then return them the damaged wheels if they require that. That's pretty much what I did but I had a second set of wheels to also deal with.

When they were taking off a set of take-offs from a new truck on the lot to replace the stock wheels, they managed to scratch those as well... It wasn't as bad as the damage on the first two sets but I still didn't take them until their detailing department buffed them out and redid the clear coat in some areas. It wasn't perfect but I wanted to be done with them after a month long ordeal and their incompetence of damaging 12 rims. I had another dealership mount/balance the replacement Pro wheels and held the damaged Pro wheels hostage until they replaced my stock Sport wheels that they had in their possession. I was shocked I dealt with all of that with a Toyota dealership.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Mar 15, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    billystrong8

billystrong8 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    One thing I'll say is best of luck getting them to find and order these wheels. Toyota isn't making them currently so I hope they already ordered you a set because if not you may be hard pressed finding a set.

JS760 and 9TRDTCO like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top