1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ammonia smell from exhaust????

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by onex23, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Jun 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM
    onex23

onex23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Sport
    I'm backing my truck into the garage and my daughter says something really stinks! I think it's just the usual exhaust smell but since the truck is so long and my garage is on the short side I have to get out to make sure I get close enough to the back wall so the garage door will shut and I get hit with an overwhelming smell of AMMONIA. I sniffed the floor, the tires, between the bed and cab, even walked around the garage sniffing random spots in the air. Smell seemed to go away. Back in the truck to inch closer to the wall and she yells that I'm close enough and that she smells it again. I get out and, yep, it's there again so this time I smell the tail pipe. Ammonia. I saw on a Nissan forum that they are smelling it from their trucks but I didn't see anything on here. So, I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen of if anyone knows what it might be. I hate going to the dealership to try and get answers about this sort of thing..... lot's of smoke blowing from them usually. Anyways.... thanks for any help/advise/whatever.

2. Jun 28, 2008 at 11:19 PM
    BlueTaco

BlueTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Speedwayblue
    Hmm, never happened to me. What station did you fill up last? I'm assuming you didn't put any additional detergents/boosters in the fuel?

3. Jun 28, 2008 at 11:22 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw!! how many miles are on your truck?? it could be just that the catalytic converters are making the smell, as they are breaking in. it should clear up pretty quickly though. what kind of gas do you run??

4. Jun 29, 2008 at 4:37 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Welcome to TacomaWorld!

I never noticed anything like that when my truck was new but I pull into the garage and the exhaust never gets contained enough for me to have smelled it.

5. Jun 29, 2008 at 6:10 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Yep. The catalytic converters have a residue in them that will cook out over the first 4,000 to 5,000 miles. Also, many of the dealers will "detail" your vehicle before you get it. Some of the chemicals they use get on the engine, radiator, and exhaust. These chemicals will cook off in time, but for now they will stink to high hell.

My 2007 PreRunner 2.7L had this problem for months. Same thing was true of my wife's 2006 RAV4. My 2008 PreRunner 4.0L hasn't had this problem of noticeable stance. I think this has mostly to do with the fact it doesn't fit in the garage, and therefore it guards the front of the house... :cool:

6. Jun 29, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    onex23

onex23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Sport
    My gas is 87oct from Chevron and I have about 3300 miles. I did see an article on cnn.com that was saying that the cats are causing the ammonia smell, something about cleaning too well. I have a dealership a couple of miles down the road so I guess I'll swing by there on Monday. Thanks for the responses.

Products Discussed in

To Top