1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

amp/sub question...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by thebaker, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Apr 21, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    thebaker

thebaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    sorry but i have another newbie question for you guys...

I'm planning on running two elemental designs sq10's in a ********* box.

I plan on running them off a alpine pdx 1.600 amp. Is this going to be way to much power for them? I believe the website for the subs says they should be run between 125/225Wrms.

If i turned down the gain on the amp would it be ok to run it with the subs? I don't want to buy another amp but depending on what you guys tell me i may have to.

thanks for all your help in advance!!!!!

2. Apr 21, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    fishntaco

fishntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Mobile Al
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Streak DCLB Prerunner Sport
    If the subs can handle 225 rms then you will be fine with that amp. You may have to back the gain down a little bit and just remember not to use it as a volume knob. Unless you listen to max volume all the time, then the subs will rarely see 225 watts.

3. Apr 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Not actually the case. Output (volume) is a function of power, so lower volume must = lower power, with a given setup.

A gain is not a volume knob, it is designed to help you match the input voltage of your head unit to the amp. So you can set it lower (numerically higher, turn down the knob) and ensure you will never see anywhere near the power.

The "RMS" rating on amps is a "continuous max output with distortion below 1% THD".

You will be fine with the amp - set it up properly and your subs will be great.

And like Fish said, they will rarely ever see even 200w at a time. In general, people just dont listen to music that loudly, and it is dynamic anyways, not a test tone.

4. Apr 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    We all gotta learn, no worries! :D

And if buying new, or you want to match gear, etc, that is great.

I generally ignore power ratings all together, as they are typically a thermal rating (for subs), based on certain crossover points, and ignore the setup itself. I have never had too much power on tap, and very rarely had too little, so I just buy the drivers I want, and enough power, and go!

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    englem123

englem123 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    Need advice,just had new sub/amp installed and i hate it. heres what i got:
    10" kicker sub 300 watt(came installed in ported box, 250watt kicker dx mono amp all through best buy. I have 2010 tacoma with stock jbl head unit. had to keep factory amp in place as head unit wont work with out, as what installer said its integrated. they ran line converter to back speakers to be able to add new amp. Sub/Box is installed behind back seat. Bass does not thump at all,sounds muffled,not very clean. Installer at best buy said give it a few days to break in and it will sound better,i think he is full of crap. I almost think the stock amp and 6" sub truck came with sounded better. I think the kicker brand might be really low end. My old truck i have a 10 Jl audio sub and fosgate amp and it thumped pretty hard.I think i may return this crap.. Any ideas, thank you.

6. Jul 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    There are too many variables to give a good answer.

What model JL was the woofer, was the box ported, and how many watts was the RF amp? All these could help define why one played louder than the other. I admit to being surprised you could fit a ported sub box into a DC.

They hooked up LOC from the rear speakers. Are the rear speakers disconnected? I wonder why they didn't take it off the sub channel. Also, do you know if they set the gains properly - do you know how to set them yourself as a means of checking their work?

7. Jul 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM
    englem123

englem123 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    I dont have old truck any longer,but I remember it was a mid grade jl sub,cost around $350,and the box was sealed. The fosgate amp was only 150 watts. The rear speakers are still connected. Someone else told me they think cuz in using Loc and that Im still running stock headunit is why I'm having sub issues. Too many interference. What do u think. As far as the gains on the Amp. I played with the knobs,there's only 1 button for bass boots,and the dial,and they had knob turned all way up. Not sure if I was adjusting correctly. Thanks for help

Products Discussed in

To Top