1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ANG/AFR Pilots & Networking

Discussion in 'Military' started by Rich Kuya, May 8, 2020.

1. May 8, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    Rich Kuya

Rich Kuya [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington, Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5 DCLB
    Installed OEM Roof Rack Took OEM Steelies off, put on OEM 2017 TRD OR Wheels and Tires Husky Floor Liners
    Good Evening All!

I started the process of studying to take my AFOQT and TBAS. Currently working towards a PPL (money, weather, and COVID-19 permitting). I am interested in hearing any and all experiences you have or may know of someone having as a pilot in the ANG or AFR.

A little background on me:

I am currently 23 years old and graduated from college back in Dec of 2018. I started out applying as an Active Duty SNA/NFO for the Navy, but my plans changed after I got married. After many conversations, my wife and I decided that the ANG or AFR may be a better road for me to take (less time away from home, possibly getting to choose where to live with ANG Squadrons... etc.) I am quickly realizing that getting my foot in the door for applying to ANG communities across the US can boil down to who you know.

If we cross paths, would love to grab a beer or your favorite beverage with you.

Please feel free to post your stories or experiences! Thanks TW!!

:plane: :cheers:

2. May 9, 2020 at 1:14 PM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    Fly Navy!

ketchumj and Rich Kuya[OP] like this.
  3. May 11, 2020 at 8:58 PM
    mpd0002

mpd0002 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Not ANG/AFR (yes, mistakes were made...) but I am AD AF Pilot, and have quite a few friends on the other side. I'm sure you have found it, but www.baseops.net is full of good info as far as timelines/applications/early steps. You're headed in the right direction with AFOQT and TBAS, I've heard working with recruiters to get those scheduled can be quite the process. I was just talking to two friends who are trying the same path you are, and talking to a buddy who is in charge of hiring for a C17 guard unit on their behalf. I can pass you all the info he had for them in a private message if you want - but basically hound the recruiters until you get what you want, it will probably take calling and emailing multiple times. As far as flight experience, it depends on the unit and who you are competing against. I would definitely try flying a little before committing... you would be surprised how many students would show up to primary flight training with ZERO experience and decide it wasn't for them.

I will say when I was a UPT instructor, Guard/Reserve seems like the way to go for flying. You get to choose the location and airframe you apply for, and in general get more "freedom" to live your life how you want. Mil aviation is an awesome experience, but the road to get there is kind of a long process... i think totally worth it, just realize it will take a few years!

Products Discussed in

To Top