1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Annoying auto headlights system

Discussion in 'Ontario, Canada' started by Keysmart.info, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Jul 27, 2023 at 4:48 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Okkine 2.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport, Lunar Rock
    I removed those annoying stickers on the sun visor.
    It's pouring rain right now, but I'll see if I can take a look over the weekend. Thanks!

2. Jul 27, 2023 at 5:11 PM
    Puppypunter

Puppypunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    :thumbsup: Let me know. If it is what I think it is, we can still work around the auto headlight function with out swapping the stalk. The DRL will still be on all the time unless the stalk is swapped, but getting rid of the auto function should be possible.

3. Jul 30, 2023 at 3:43 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Will that work for you? I tried to get the wires, but some of the colours look a little washed out in the sunlight...

20230730_152327.jpg 20230730_152555.jpg 20230730_152524.jpg 20230730_152443.jpg 20230730_152415.jpg 20230730_152753.jpg

4. Jul 30, 2023 at 5:01 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    That works great! So that white wire (solid white, no black stripe. Next to the yellow) is the one we are interested in. Your “C” stalk is sending a ground signal down to that wire. On the “A” and “B” stalks, they have an extra click that opens the circuit, so the ground doesn’t get sent anywhere. So you should be able to swap your stalk to a type “A” and be able to turn the DRL (and the auto headlights with it) off. I say type “A” because you will still have auto headlights, you will just now have the ability to turn them off. If you want DRL without the auto feature, that is where we’d have to get creative. We’d need to stop that white wire from sending a low trigger to the ECU. But that also turns off the DRL, so we’d need to send the signal to a relay, and the relay would then control the DRL, and send that signal via a relay to the headlights. Not impossible by any means, but not as easy as swapping a stalk.
    Also, if you are liking the idea of swapping the stalk, but are afraid of removing the steering wheel (it has to come off to do the stalk), don’t be. I was nervous when I did it, and it took like 5-10 minutes and was seriously easy. I got it done so fast, my wife didn’t even have time to ask what I was doing now.
    And lastly, as an added bonus to the Canadian SR drivers, you can use the stalk from a SR5/TRD and add the fog light switch. If you’re prewired, adding fogs is pretty easy. If you aren’t prewired, you can add a wire to the stalk plug there and become wired for it pretty easy.

5. Jul 30, 2023 at 6:24 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's Fantastic, thanks! I actually already have the fog lights installed, so it should be a straight swap.

I'm good with keeping the auto feature. I just like to have the choice.

Out of curiosity, will the dashboard lights & display screens also stay off when the switch is in the "off" position? Or will they still be on the light sensor?

6. Jul 30, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    They should stay off. I assume right now, when the headlights aren’t turned on via the auto feature, the dash lights aren’t on?

7. Jul 30, 2023 at 6:49 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Correct. They don't come on at the exact same time, there seems to be a few seconds delay between when the dashboard lights up, and when the headlights come on, but they're close.

I mean, either way I'm happy with any extra control I can get, especially when I'm out in a field doing nighttime photography, and don't want to destroy my night vision. I really appreciate your help!

8. Jul 30, 2023 at 6:51 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    Ok, then they should stay off when the stalk is set to off

9. Jul 30, 2023 at 6:55 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Perfect! Thanks again!

10. Jul 30, 2023 at 7:02 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    No problem. Report back how it works :)

Okkine 2.0[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 10, 2023 at 11:27 AM
    Okkine 2.0

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Damn! Got the new switch, and plugged it in to test it before installing. The automatic headlights still activate, even in the DRL/OFF position.

They must have done something to the Canadian models to prevent this.

Edit: I should have tested this before I ordered the switch, but it seems that the automatic headlights activate, even with the stalk completely unplugged.

The question is whether this is a hardware or software thing...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  12. Aug 10, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    Damn, that sucks. That means it is being controlled via ECU. I was hoping that Toyota just did it through the stalk. That means I can’t get around it, sorry. At least not without rewiring everything. But the stalk you should be able to get rid of on the BST thread.

13. Aug 10, 2023 at 12:06 PM
    BLtheP

BLtheP Not a Member

Member:
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM TRD On-Road DCSB MT
    5.29 Gears, FJ Pedal, 265/75R16 Toyo ATIII
    Are you sure the automatic headlights activate, or are you only going off of the screens? Toyota has it to where the screens (HVAC, driver info center) work somewhat independently of the automatic headlights. The dash lights themselves (switches, gauge backlights, etc) are wired direct to the running lamp circuit.

The purpose of Toyota doing what they did with the screens is that traditionally when the lights themselves are on, the screens would go dim (since they are bright during the day when lights are off). With this independent functionality, the screens can still brighten up independent of the dash.

In other words, the brightness of the screens doesn't really tell you much about the status of the headlights.

Also, not sure if you are aware, but it helps to know that there are multiple saved brightness settings on the screens/dash lights. During the day out in broad daylight, I used the trip knob to turn the brightness all the way up. Since lights are off at that time, the only thing that turns up in brightness are the screens. At night time, in the dark, I turn the brightness all the way down because I don't like bright lights at night. If by chance the automatic headlights turn the headlights on during the day (maybe a cloudy day or something) but the sun is still somewhat out, the automatic lighting system should keep the screens bright.

Of course, when you go under a dark overpass or something, your lights may kick on and the screens may kick into dim night time mode, because the truck thinks it's night time. But, that's usually brief....is that a big deal?

Finally, your head unit should have adjustment settings for how sensitive the auto headlights are to kick on. Mine are not eager to kick on at all when I go under an overpass, but I don't keep them on sensitive settings.

14. Aug 10, 2023 at 12:08 PM
    BudFriendguy

BudFriendguy TRD BRGLR

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Portland, Oregon >> Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport ACLB 4WD 6MT V6 Voodoo Blue
    If new switches don't have an "off" option, I'd wager an older switch with the option would still turn those lights off?

If so, I've got part numbers and install instructions here from an old fog light guide: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...it-but-this-one-is-mine.709175/#post-25203644

Edit: nevermind...

Okkine 2.0[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 10, 2023 at 1:46 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well, I appreciate the help nonetheless!

I actually started screwing around, and it turns out that the ambient light sensor is in the cover for the front speaker, so it can be accessed without taking the entire dashboard apart. Popped it open, disconnected the sensor, and now the "auto" position works as an off switch. The LCD screens even dim with the switch instead of the sensor now.

I'm guessing it's a safety feature in case the sensor burns out.

It would have been nice to keep the automatic functionality, but at least now I can shut the lights off when I'm camping, or shooting the stars.

I'm sure I could wire a relay in there to make the new stalk work, but tracing all that out is a bigger project than I care to take on at this very moment.

Thanks again!

3JOH22A likes this.
  16. Aug 10, 2023 at 1:52 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's what I was wondering, so I tested it after sunset, just to be sure.

The headlilights definitely come on the moment you start the vehicle, if it's dark out. It doesn't wait for the park brake to be released, like the daytime running lights do.

17. Aug 10, 2023 at 2:12 PM
    BLtheP

BLtheP Not a Member

Member:
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM TRD On-Road DCSB MT
    5.29 Gears, FJ Pedal, 265/75R16 Toyo ATIII
    I see the complaint now, with you being unable to turn the lights off, you’re essentially stuck with them on, right? (Although now you’ve fixed it by unplugging the sensor).

18. Aug 10, 2023 at 2:19 PM
    HighCountryTacoma

HighCountryTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Quicksand
    You can adjust the sensitivity to when they turn on in the head unit, at least you can in my 17.

19. Aug 10, 2023 at 3:00 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Correct. There is no other way to shut them off after sunset. It would have been nice if they had ran them through a relay on the park brake, but they didn't.

You can adjust the sensitivity, but it still flickers on and off whenever you drive under a bridge. Especially towards the evening, or on a cloudy day.

More importantly, I dabble in night sky photography, and occasionally like to go to the drive-in theater.

If I need to start the engine in the middle of a 60 minute exposure, or in the middle of the movie, it's important to be able to turn off the headlights. Otherwise it'll either ruin the shot, or blind the other moviegoers.

It's just one of those unintended consequences that politicians and engineers don't think of.

20. Aug 10, 2023 at 3:12 PM
    BudFriendguy

BudFriendguy TRD BRGLR

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Portland, Oregon >> Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport ACLB 4WD 6MT V6 Voodoo Blue
    Maybe someone could fab a kill switch for the sensor? Then you could have the option of auto on/off without having to compromise (too much.)

Products Discussed in

To Top