1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Annoying Clunking Sound Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tacosupreme54, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Apr 30, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    I've noticed the sound for the last couple of years. It seems like it happens pretty often and regardless of if the truck has just been cranked or running for a while. I really started noticing it whenever I'm driving next to something like large buildings downtown, and the sound echoes back. It's not ridiculously loud, usually I notice it when I'm driving downtown with the windows down and a lot of times when I put the truck in reverse pulling out of a parking spot. It basically sounds like the "clank" of an aluminum Coke can, but obviously louder, from underneath the truck. Also, it isn't the brakes, I already looked at those threads and it doesn't happen when I press the brakes. It doesn't seem to really do anything else after it makes the clunk sound and overall the truck seems fine. The noise is just really annoying and I can't re-create the noise to look for it myself. I finally thought about posting it today for the first time, does anybody have any idea?

On a side note, I have the OME lift, 885 coils, nitro shocks all around, AAL, and the 1/4" spacer I think. Will upgrading UCA's make my front suspension ride a little smoother and not feel like it's "bottoming out" so bad?

Thanks!

2. Apr 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
  3. Apr 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish

ok.................it doesnt do it when ur on the brakes u say............

find a bumpy road, drive down it with foot off the brakes.....

then do it again LIGHTLY dragging the brakes.

my brakes do clunk after the pads wear down a little and I know its them because I went over the same spot in the road a half dozen times....everytime I hit the convex part with no foot on brakes it clunked.

everytime I hit that spot lightly dragging the brakes......It didnt clunk

u also say it does it when u reverse out of a parking spot............thats usually the brakes shifting.

make sure ur swaybar (if its on) isnt hitting anything

4. Apr 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Well maybe it could be the brakes then. I guess I assumed it wasn't the brakes because I'm not pushing the brakes when it happens. I haven't changed the brakes since I've had the truck and I don't think the previous owner changed them either. I'll check into it. Thanks man.

5. Apr 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    u got it........it drove me nuts till I tried the dragging of my brakes and now im not worried

I did order some EBC stage 5 kit from Marco at 4WP in chula vista......awesome guy!

Products Discussed in

To Top