1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Annoying front brakes on 2008 model

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Archery Ham, May 15, 2008.

1. May 15, 2008 at 9:11 PM
    Archery Ham

Archery Ham [OP] Green Eggs and Ham Radio

Member:
    Muscle Shoals
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Auxilllary backup lights, removed secondary filter,
    I have an annoying problem on 2008 model:

My front brakes are pulling to the left and then back again to straight. It does it with moderate to heavy braking. Felt in the steering wheel. It is not noticable with normal braking. Nose diving is normal.

This morning, I had a 8 AM appointment with the dealer.

A mechanic (30 years exp.) did not notice the pulling to the left and back to center again.

I drove him around the block. I told him to focus on one washer nozzle and you will see the hood move to the left and back to center again. After two tries, he agrees with me and notices the movement.

He said that there may be overspray of cosmoline on the left front brakes and should wear off at 1500 to 2000 miles. He said that he would document this and share with the other mechanics. I have 777 miles on it now. I told him that the only cosmoline I know of is used by the Army in the form of a grease to store rifles in a crate for long term storage.

He tells me that this stuff is used when doing "undercoating" by the dealership. A spray on grease.

He sounded sincere, not rushing me to go do something else. I was in no mood to be a jerk....I have been wrong too many times to count. But, I still have doubts and wanted it to be inspected.

I said my thanks and left.

Is he correct?

Thanks,
    kevin

2. May 15, 2008 at 9:27 PM
    adamceckhardt

adamceckhardt Well-Known Member

Member:
    I worked in the car business for 4 years, and although not a mechanic, have had a few issues with "cosmoline." From what I've learned, they don't actually use cosmoline anymore. Today, they use a spray on plastic that protects paint, and any other surface that they might want to protect. Some manufacturers may spray the undercarriage, but I'm not sure. The stuff they use today peels off pretty easily from painted surfaces- you can do it with a finger, and it will come off as one piece. Our prep guy usually just used a pressure washer to get it off. My impression is that if it really got on a brake part, that the heat would make it go away in a hurry. I would think that 700 miles would do the trick, but I'm not a mechanic with 30 years experience.

Sorry to ramble on... hope it helps, and good luck getting your problem fixed. That would annoy me to no end!

3. May 16, 2008 at 5:18 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I had my '07 DC back to the dealer at about 200 kms with a pulsing in the front brakes at low speed.They discovered that the rotors were out of spec and turned them.Two days later the pulsing came back and last week I requested new rotors which they agreed to,no questions asked.

You may have the same trouble,have them check the rotors.

4. Jun 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM
    Archery Ham

Member:
    Muscle Shoals
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Today, my dealer ordered a new caliper for my front left, after the boss and a mechanic drove it around.

It will be installed this Wednesday.

While my truck was in service, I drove a Tundra reg. cab V8 back to work.
    Awesome engine.....but the Tacoma ride was a tad better.

5. Jul 29, 2008 at 4:44 PM
    Archery Ham

Member:
    Muscle Shoals
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    After 4000 miles and 4 trips to the dealer.....I told the mechanic that I think it is an ABS problem. I am not supposed to be able to lock the left front wheel at 30 MPH.

He drove it.....and said..."its the ABS actuator".

New ABS actuator installed and brakes no longer pull to one side. :D

All is well.

6. Jul 29, 2008 at 5:25 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Glad you got it figured out.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top