1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another 285/75/16 Question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Blake, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    Blake

Blake [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Doublecab TRD Offroad Supercharged
    OME Heavy Kit TRD Supercharger Borla Catback Exhaust
    New guy here, sorry for asking a question that has been discussed so frequently, but I asked this in another thread and didn't get a reply.

I have a 2010 Doublecab with an OME Heavy Kit. I also have Road Armor bumpers front and rear, and the reason I mention this is because on the front bumper, the backside is angled forward to give more clearance to the front tires.

I want to stick 285/75/16 BFG KM2s on when I replace the original tires. If I go with a wheel that has 4" backspacing, will that, in addition to the lift and bumper provide enough clearance to avoid any trimming other than removing the mudflaps?

While I'm asking, I know NOTHING about spacers, but it seems like adding spacers to stock wheels is just asking for problems. Would it be better to get the wheels I mentioned, or to go with spacers, or either really?

Thanks.

Blake

2. Oct 6, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    merrit

merrit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    seriously depussified oc to
    nope you'll rub on the bumpers inner skirt.

3. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I wouldn't add spacers at all. I'm not familiar with the road armor bumpers, but if they are like most other aftermarket front bumpers than you will have no problem clearing the tires in the front. Behind the tire you will have more trouble and that's where you would need to do the trimming.

4. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    With a 285 tire, there's never any guarantee you won't need to cut plastic from the inner fender or trim the body cab mount. But those IMO, are fairly minor mods compared to swapping out the bumper, which you've already done.

5. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    4x4Tacoma

4x4Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fresno, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08' Tacoma, RR lock 295/75/16 MT 3" level kit
    3" leveling kit by Hell Bent Steel, 295/75/16R mud tires
    I have a 3" "hell bent steel" spacer in the front (ebay) & aftermarket rims with a 4" offset (to clear the UCA) and i am running 295/75/16 on mine with minimal rub but i had to cut a little bit of the front inner plastic wheel well (who cares) and shaved back the front body mounts about 1/4" because it rubbed in reverse while turning but a 285/75/16 is a smaller tire the best thing to do is what i did and i did the lift and went and test fit every tire i liked knowing a little rub wont hurt anything .... they will put the tires on for you just to make you happy take advantage of it. they need the business im sure and its the only real way to know if your gonna rub or not and worst case scenario you need to ad a 1/4" space but don't go more than that and the have to be specific spacers for the tacoma compatible wheels

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Oct 7, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    Blake

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies. You guys clearly know a lot more than I do, and I would have thought rubbing would be minimal if any given how "empty" the wheel well looks after the lift. Still want to go with with the 285/75/16s.

7. Oct 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    4x4Tacoma

4x4Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fresno, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08' Tacoma, RR lock 295/75/16 MT 3" level kit
    3" leveling kit by Hell Bent Steel, 295/75/16R mud tires
    Hey I can tell you I like the height of my truck because everyone thinks it's a 6" lift but it's cause of my massive tires and I love it but I'm constantly wishing I had bigger so get what ever you want bro just make sure you get your truck equipped for what ever terrain you plan on venturing on to. Such as if your not gonna take it off road there's no need for mudd tires just get alterain tires I'm always going off road and pullin stuck trucks out and love to have the confidence in my tires and truck that no matter what terrain I'm on I can still get traction let us know what you get or plan on getting. I'm always interested. Oh ps my inner wheel well cut was so minimal as far as plastic goes. But you shoul be fine

8. Oct 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    Blake

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    More questions:

1. Can I fit these tires on 8" wheels, or do I need 10"?

2. Are wheels with 4" backspacing the best for these tires, or will 4.5" suffice? The only wheels I can find with 4" are Wheeler's steel wheels, but I can find plenty I like with 4.5"...Enduros, Countersteers, Chambers, etc..., but my first priority is getting the best wheel for the application, not the coolest looking.

Thanks again.

9. Oct 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I would go with a wheel that is 16x8 with 4.5" bs'ing.

10. Oct 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    fishinsteeg234

fishinsteeg234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Short Bed
    Pro Comp 3" suspension lift kit, Pro Comp 8128 alloy wheels with 285/75/16 BFG AT KO's, Gorilla Lugs, Camburg 1.5" uniball UCA's, AFE cold air intake, Black N-Fab bars, SS extended brake lines, HID bixenon's
    i have a 3" procomp lift and i fit 285/75/16 BF AT's on a 4.5" backspace wheel no problem, never rubbing.

11. Oct 7, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I just mounted 285/70R17 Goodyear MTR/Kevlars on Procomp 7005-7883 which is an 8" wide rim with 4.5" backspacing and 0mm offset. That's a large tire - a full 33" diameter, many 285s are a little smaller.

The 4.5" offset is actually better than the 4" offset - as long as you clear the UCA. The 4" offset will have a higher negative offset, increasing the arc of the turn and therefore the amount of trimming you have to do.

I was out in the driveway tonight trimming plastic - but not too bad. Pix in my gallery.

Products Discussed in

To Top